• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why the #^*$ do they leave out 18mm???

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
I've run into this before but always managed to work around it. 18mm is a very commonly needed metric size, right after 15mm and 13mm. Why is it left out of sets so often? I have at least 2 metric combo sets, no 18mm. My deep well impact set left out 18mm. At least my regular socket set includes it. But today I need an 18mm box wrench to remove a torque converter. Can't fit an adjustable on there, so I'm stuck until I find one :flamemad:.

Excellent question! It's odd that important parts require 18mm but very few sets include it.

I'm pretty sure 11/16 will work.

My mobile set doesnt include 18mm, but ive never needed it in the field. Obviously for home wrenching, 1 set of sockets is never enough, i doubt your sets came with inverted torx drivers either.

I bet you couldve gona to autozone, bought the socket, and been done with it in much less time than this worthless thread.

Excellent question! It's odd that important parts require 18mm but very few sets include it.

Same reason as the E-torx on the upper bellhousing bolts, or security Torx on the mechanical airbags. They figure if you don't have the tools, you shouldn't be messing with it.
FWIW HF includes 18mm. If you cannot source one locally, I will mail you one, as I have a few orphans from my younger days

Found one and oreilly's. Had to buy the individual, as the sets (2 brands) skipped 18. 17 and 19, just like 3 of the sets (2 combo, 1 impact deep well) I have.

11/16 = .6875
18mm = .7087

Thats odd.. I have a Stanley deep well set and a standard Craftsman set,both with 18mm..May be the old sets had it.....

my stanley 200 piece field set has the 18mm socket, and my box wrench set for my tool box has the 18mm. I got several of each actually I found in my dad's old tool set.

Husky impact sets include an 18mm. I've had sets that were missing a few sizes before, I can't figure out what they use to choose the missing one - one set was missing 13mm which makes a fair bit of sense since it included 1/2".

Maybe going one way, but if it is actually an 18mm socket, it won't even fit on a 3/4 bolt. 3/4 is very close to 19mm.

my craftsman set had an 18mm....

and using the wrong size socket on a fastener is Busch league

19 millimeters = 0.748031496 inches

18 millimeters = 0.708661417 inches

good ol' google.

Back