• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why not go Hemi 6.1L???

You could deal with it? I suppose it would be tough...:rolleyes:

:D
:roflmao: yeah, more or less my point. I wonder how much it would end up costing to do the swap if I got the engine for free/cheap :dunno: I know engine swaps cost a pretty penny in most cases. But if I got the engine for free... I am tempted now. How to get my brother to crash the vehicle... haha. Now if he gets in an accident soon I am going to feel like an ass.

Edit: From a quick search the LS1 weighs in at 400lbs, the 4.0 somewhere just over 500, and the LQ is right about 500 as well. Oh man I wouldn't even gain that much weight from the swap :eyes: unless my quick search was wrong.

Last edited:
There are plenty of complete (harness and sometimes transmissions) LS1 engines on Ebay. I have checked them out. Anywhere from $2500 to $4500. About the same as 4.0L Stroker rebuild. However, the swap is a bit of work. The XJ gauge cluster would have to be swapped out for the one that came with, or compatible, the LS1. Unless you are starting with shell of an XJ and building up, it seems like a lot work.

Hmm....

Why not swap a Cummins 12v in there? I'd love to do that to my XJ. I haven't really found any swaps with that motor, then again it is a huge motor and probably won't fit without a ton of modification. I researched it a bit and I read that it won't physically fit, and besides it weighs around 1100 pounds someone said.

Last edited:
Edit: From a quick search the LS1 weighs in at 400lbs, the 4.0 somewhere just over 500, and the LQ is right about 500 as well. Oh man I wouldn't even gain that much weight from the swap :eyes: unless my quick search was wrong.
I think it is about right, someone on another forum was having an argument over which weighs more, an LS1 or a Mazda rotary engine. The LS1 weighs around 400 I believe from what I checked.

There are plenty of complete (harness and sometimes transmissions) LS1 engines on Ebay. I have checked them out. Anywhere from $2500 to $4500. About the same as 4.0L Stroker rebuild. However, the swap is a bit of work. The XJ gauge cluster would have to be swapped out for the one that came with, or compatible, the LS1. Unless you are starting with shell of an XJ and building up, it seems like a lot work.
If I did it I would probably run aftermarket gauges in a custom surround. So that solves that problem. And regarding engines on ebay: Way too expensive :D. I am planning on pulling an engine/harness/maybe trans from a vehicle I pick up dirt cheap (looking at heading to auctions for wrecked vehicles, pick up one with a good engine). I have seen some go for next to nothing. Esp SUV's. The LS's are great, but the LQ's can be had cheaper.

Why not swap a Cummins 12v in there? I'd love to do that to my XJ. I haven't really found any swaps with that motor, then again I haven't checked.
As already mentioned regarding other engines... size/weight is the problem you will run into.

And regarding weight of hte engines, I was more unsure of my 4.0 weight and LQ weight numbers. I know the LS is right around 400.

You have a point. The LS engines are in a number of GM vehicles. Anywhere from Corvettes & GTO to F-body pickups. There is a great write-up of the LS series engines in the December 2009 "Chevy High Performance" magazine.

Very interesting read.

Hmmm, scratch the LQ4, I want the LQ9. slightly higher compression and a bit more power/torque, something like +30 hp and +20 ft/lbs.

But then again the LQ9 is newer and likely more expensive & harder to find. So for the amount I would spend for that extra bit of power I could get the LQ4 and supercharge it. And supercharging the LQ4 would be better due to the lower compression.

...or I could just be sane and put an LQ4 in and leave it at that, since ya know... that engine still puts out gobs more power and torque than the 4.0 :dunno: But something about dropping a 6.0 in an XJ and saying "maybe I should stay sane" just don't go together very well, so supercharger it is.

...or stroking the LQ4 to a naturally aspirated 408 is another option... :drool:

The LQ4/9 are similar except compression, I have driven vehicles with both and not much difference (you wouldnt know unless you actually knew which one was in it).. could be changed with a milled head or different gasket. THey are better than the LS blocks since they are cast iron. They can handle more power and forced induction. Just swap on the LSx style intake for better flow and clearance under hood.
If I were actually going to BUILD the motor, I would go with the GMPP Cast-iron LSx block, bore/stroke it to 427 cubes (block can be bored/stroked to 511+ cubes.) And that would allow usage of readily available LS7 internal components (both stock and aftermarket). Probably a FAST alum intake, and MSD coil packs.

But then again, I wouldnt pass up on a great deal on a LS motor. Even an LS1 has more power than any stock 4.0L or stroker built.

Why not swap a Cummins 12v in there? I'd love to do that to my XJ. I haven't really found any swaps with that motor, then again it is a huge motor and probably won't fit without a ton of modification. I researched it a bit and I read that it won't physically fit, and besides it weighs around 1100 pounds someone said.
even if it could fit itd probably twist an xj body if half haha. but id love to see someone put in a 4BT

I think the best of the bunch of the LS engines is the LS 7. It is basically the LS 9 without the supercharger. 427 ci, 11:1 compression, naturally aspirated, and puts out 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. The castings from GMPP are about $2,500, but then the heads are $1,400 each. Ouch. If I can grab one out of wrecked Corvette Z06, then if might be worth it.

But you are right about the LQ4 and the LQ9. There is a lot of room for improvement on these engines. Seems they are the "diamond in the rough" so to speak. They are found as workhorses in the Silverado, Suburban, Yukon, Hummer H2, Escalade, and Sierra (LQ 9). That means there will be a lot of these gems in the bone-yards in the coming future.

The LQ4 / LQ9 are definitely an engine to be on the lookout for.

The question is: is it able to fit under the hood of an XJ?

The question is: is it able to fit under the hood of an XJ?[/QUOTE said:
Using LS1 intake and I made a custom bracket for my alternator. Otherwise it will not fit under the hood. There are a couple people on here working on custom hoods to cover it with the stock intake and alt bracket.
DSCN1648.jpg

I think the best of the bunch of the LS engines is the LS 7. It is basically the LS 9 without the supercharger. 427 ci, 11:1 compression, naturally aspirated, and puts out 505 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque. The castings from GMPP are about $2,500, but then the heads are $1,400 each. Ouch. If I can grab one out of wrecked Corvette Z06, then if might be worth it.

But you are right about the LQ4 and the LQ9. There is a lot of room for improvement on these engines. Seems they are the "diamond in the rough" so to speak. They are found as workhorses in the Silverado, Suburban, Yukon, Hummer H2, Escalade, and Sierra (LQ 9). That means there will be a lot of these gems in the bone-yards in the coming future.

The LQ4 / LQ9 are definitely an engine to be on the lookout for.

The question is: is it able to fit under the hood of an XJ?
The LS9 is only a 6.2L. It is essentially an LS6 (or whichever number is under the hood of the C6), with a supercharger.

On that LS1 installation. Did you have to reinforce the frame? Is the XJ frame able to handle the additional torque? Just curious. I am thinking about this swap in the future. I am trying to build for it ahead of time.

I think the easiest and maybe the cheapest route to big power is a stroker based on the 4.0. I would want to do lots of work on the block and head and use high tech coatings on almost all internal parts to ensure reliability. Forged rods and crank and a main cap girdle would be good also. But really, who has that kind of money anyway?

Back