• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why me, for So Cal VP

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Ok guys, so it is speech time for me as well. I first am very thankful that I have been considered
for the Vice President of the So Cal Chapter of NAXJA.

A little info about me:

Tony Rojo, I was born in 1976, so 31 yrs old now, married with no children yet. I grew up in Southern California and have been wheeling since I was 6 months old (seriously). My dad used to build sand rails, and GLAMIS/Ocotillo was my backyard. In my teenage years, I dedicated a significant amount of time to camping in Baja, and running chase operations for a Score Race team out of Indio. Dropped out of the off road scene for about 6 or 7 years and just came back 4 years ago with this XJ. Currently, I am heavily involved with a JeepSpeed #1710 Race Team as the lead for Chase Operations (aka I go anywhere to help the race team out, and get a fancy title in the mean time).

What makes me special for NAXJA?

Why me, I consider myself to be a responsible off-roader who is very much a supporter of the community. Although often given a hard time about my jeep being clean, many of you here can vouch for me that it is most definitely wheeled and wheeled hard. I have been frequently known for organizing trips to Azusa, Barstow and occasionally Cleghorn to have some fun and share stories. I also like to lend a hand in any way that I can support the NAXJA Community.

As VP of the So Cal chapter, I would like to do the following,
*Organize more local day runs
*Increase the awareness and possible participation in JeepSpeed (maybe a M&G at a race)
*Standardize a set schedule of Meet and Greets.
*Possibly organize camping trips into Mexico (I know the area well)
*Organize Group Participation in the local cleanups to keep our playgrounds open and available.
*Help grow NAXJA into an organization that is more readily recognized by the likes of Jeep Corporate, Magazines, and the So Cal off road community

I realize there is a large responsibility here, and I would like the opportunity to give back to NAXJA all that it has helped me with in my XJ knowledge and build.

By the way, I can cook a mean Carne Asada as well.

Plz feel free to post up questions

Good info!

Good Luck Tony!

Hi Tony

so you don't feel left out, here are the same questions I'm asking all other candidates:

1. Do you prefer quantity or quality regarding membership drives?

2. What do you see are the 2 biggest issues with the SoCal chapter and how would you deal with them?

Thanks and good luck!

djblade311 said:
Hi Tony

so you don't feel left out, here are the same questions I'm asking all other candidates:

1. Do you prefer quantity or quality regarding membership drives?

2. What do you see are the 2 biggest issues with the SoCal chapter and how would you deal with them?

Thanks and good luck!

Ok, so here goes:
1.Quality always is better than quantity

2.I may lose for saying this, but I have to be honest to myself. I think there is only one big issue with NAXJA. I think that this community is heavily influenced by rock crawling, and could use a little more influence in organizing trail runs(that are not soley focused on crawling), more exposure to the JeepSpeed racing community, as well as organized runs to places like borrego springs, glamis, baja, etc etc.

That is all. Feel free to bash for my second comment.

i agree with tony but not just about the jeepspeeding. we're not a rock crawling club, not a sand sports club, not a mud bogger club, this is an XJ club. we're all into different stuff. while we have, as rick put it, seperated into cliques, we are all the same family. XJs are extremely versatile machines, and we need to encompass all that we do with our XJs. its not going to ruin your jeep to get it out in the sand once in awhile, and it can be ALOT of fun. for example im not into rock crawling. at all. but, i go out, and climb around on some of the easier obstacles, just to spend time with good people and see what all the hype is about. we need bring the whole chapter together and go out to see what the other members like to do. i want all of you guys to be like brothers (and sisters ;)) to me, not those cousins i see once a year.

if thats what you are here to do tony then youve got my support 100%.

I for one, have enjoyed watching Jeepspeed races but.....
watching is boring as all can be. I know you have spent time in a Jeepspeed rig, and the term Jeepspeed is kind of a misnomer. My old Baja Bug would leave them in its dust!
I have enjoyed scenic trail rides but...
Why is it that you get more beaten up out trail riding than you do doing anything else?

Crawling on the other hand gets my heart pumpin'

But to each thier own.

Tony, we won't make you sit in the back of the bus but...
forget this integration thing.
:D

Rick

Jump This said:
I for one, have enjoyed watching Jeepspeed races but.....
watching is boring as all can be. I know you have spent time in a Jeepspeed rig, and the term Jeepspeed is kind of a misnomer. My old Baja Bug would leave them in its dust!
I have enjoyed scenic trail rides but...
Why is it that you get more beaten up out trail riding than you do doing anything else?

Crawling on the other hand gets my heart pumpin'

But to each thier own.

Tony, we won't make you sit in the back of the bus but...
forget this integration thing.

Rick

hahah, thanks Rick..

Let me clarify, I am not trying to intregrate, people like what they do, and that is cool, but what I would like is to have more diversity exists. I personally know people that stay away from NAXJA because the perception is that it is only rockcrawlers.....that is what I would like to help change!

tcm glx said:
hahah, thanks Rick..

Let me clarify, I am not trying to intregrate, people like what they do, and that is cool, but what I would like is to have more diversity exists. I personally know people that stay away from NAXJA because the perception is that it is only rockcrawlers.....that is what I would like to help change!

Tony, as long as you and Grimm are around, we won't only be rockcrawlers.
Hmmmm.......now how do we get rid of those two?

Gerr said:
I dont know if it helps your cause much Tony BUT you have my support. I agree there is way little focus on anything in socal but the crawling and hardest of trails.
we have the numbers right? i am under the assumption that socal is one of (if not THE) biggest chapters of NAXJA, we should reflect the diversity of what people do with thier XJs.

HAHA WELCOME to the DARK side my BLACK NAMED friend!!!! haha

Just kidding,

Hey guys, Tony asked me to post this up: "My apologies for showing in BLACK, I changed my email address and in the meantime, until my NAXJA acct goes verified, I can not post. Hopefully wont be more than a day. Andy, thanks for posting this up"

silverslk said:
HAHA WELCOME to the DARK side my BLACK NAMED friend!!!! haha

Just kidding,

Hey guys, Tony asked me to post this up: "My apologies for showing in BLACK, I changed my email address and in the meantime, until my NAXJA acct goes verified, I can not post. Hopefully wont be more than a day. Andy, thanks for posting this up"
Yup, it seems that there is a problem with email notifications going out which means that until he confirms the email notification (which seems to be MIA) he will not show in red. I have passed on the message to the support guys and hopefully they'll manually color him red ;)

paulhead said:
A mean carne asada!?
food?!
got my vote

Greenies can't vote :cry:

GrimmJeeper said:
i agree with tony but not just about the jeepspeeding. we're not a rock crawling club, not a sand sports club, not a mud bogger club, this is an XJ club. we're all into different stuff. while we have, as rick put it, seperated into cliques, we are all the same family. XJs are extremely versatile machines, and we need to encompass all that we do with our XJs. its not going to ruin your jeep to get it out in the sand once in awhile, and it can be ALOT of fun. for example im not into rock crawling.

Ditto to this, guys. While crawling is my favorite, I've said it many times that if all I could do was rock crawl I probably wouldn't be wheeling. I love going to the dunes, doing the camping runs, and hauling ass through the desert, and thankfully we have a vehicle platform in the XJ that can be built to do it all.

Another Baja trip is on my list of things to do, so I'd try to squeeze it in if one was planned.

Kejtar said:
Yup, just got a message from Woody that he manually fixed ya :) Now till they resolve the email issue... DON"T CHANGE YOUR EMAIL :D

Thanks alot!

Back