• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why Jiffy Lube will never have my business again...

Have you ever been ripped off by a Jiffy Lube?

• Yes

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I do my own oil changes

Votes: 147 80.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jay Welch said:
While I don't buy much from AutoZone, I do buy some things from Advance but I always ask who the manufacturer is and where the part is manufactured. They usually have a better brand on the shelf but you have to ask. Make sure you get what you ask for also because sometimes the parts are in the wrong bin.

I buy NOTHING from China period!
interesting statement, sorry to tell you but you probably have more things made in china than you think. just because there is a sticker on it that says usa made it does not always mean its made in the usa for sure. nobody in the usa can avoid completely items made in china. our markets are flooded with items and new ones daily.

all you can do is try and buy American.

its just a matter of time til the chinese make products with the same quality as american top end goods yet they will sell for cheaper. that is just the way business is going these days. my company itself is moving plants overses to China and that will increase our revenue monthly by millions and its just costing us a little over what we have now for warehousing in the USA. Quality control levels are going to be even more stringent.

two summers ago i worked at a tool distribution business that my uncle owns and operates dealing in every possible type of tool and machine. if he didn't have it he would know where to get it. he was the tool man, not bad for a mom and pop shop.

so many times men who were big into tools would come in and ask for the top of the line american tools and about shit a brick with the prices. they would ask for the next choice and the Chinese goods would come out. amazing how these patriot tool hunters came down with their demands and accepted the chinese made tools and had money left over to buy some drinks. sure they always had some bullshit remark about them but they still walked out the damn door with the Chinese tool and we had money in our till.

people are amazing, i had a friend who went to buy accessories for his harley fat boy and came back from the dealer whimpering to me that all the products and accessories at the DEALER were made in China.

I too don't like buying Chinese products but when push comes to shove sometimes people just do what they will do especially when money is tight.

too funny......

I'm aware of all that you stated.....but I don't buy tools or parts that say "Made in China".

They might catch up with quality sometime in the future but right now they are the biggest counterfeiters on the globe and don't care about quality.

thebrick said:
I had some wrenches made in China...but then I got tired of the bloody knuckles and stripped head bolts...

man, that sucks. thats probably not the first time those wrenches have had blood on them though. there have been numerous reports that Chinese prisoners actually facilitate the making of goods for export out of China. They make these folks work long and hard hours in really bad conditions.

your post reminded me of a wrench i bought once that was 1/2 " and after rounding it all out I had to regrind it to a 3/4 " size so i could use it again. i wanted my 4 bucks worth.

5-90 said:
I have never used a "Monkey Lube" (by whatever name...) and I don't plan to.

Half of 'em don't speak English, and I don't think the other half have finished high school. Nope, I don't trust 'em, and I wonder why people do...

5-90

I hear that !
Of course I have about 30 gallons of oil I need to get rid of now :confused1

boise49ers said:
I hear that !
Of course I have about 30 gallons of oil I need to get rid of now :confused1

I've been catching wind of a "waste-oil fired burner" that can get hot enough to run a melting furnace, and I've been wanting to dig into that a bit more (build a small melting furnace with two useful burners - a waste oil burner and a version of a Reil or a Mongo burner...)

Considering they only let me get rid of five gallons at a shot, and it's a little out of my usual way (and, with five XJ's, I can run through a lot of oil!) this may present a viable alternative.

Considering what sort of temperatures are involved in melting metal (I'm thinking 2200-2500*F for most metals) building a waste-oil fired space heater should be relatively easy - run the exhaust through a heat exchanger, and use a sort of "forced-air" setup to heat your garage, for instance?

5-90

I have a set of SK box wrences that I snagged off of ebay for a song. My only regret was that I could not find their metric counterpart. My point is that these "Made in USA" wrenches truly made me aware of pride in craftsmanship and the HUGE difference between those and the ones made elsewhere out of pot metal. Even just holding them you realize how much thought were put into their design. They are long, balanced, don't slide off of the nut you are working on and have a finish that is real easy on the hand. I cannot say that about most of my tools that are mostly American made as well. You get what you pay for. I'm sure when they were new they cost alot more than I payed for them.

5-90 said:
I've been catching wind of a "waste-oil fired burner" that can get hot enough to run a melting furnace, and I've been wanting to dig into that a bit more (build a small melting furnace with two useful burners - a waste oil burner and a version of a Reil or a Mongo burner...)

Considering they only let me get rid of five gallons at a shot, and it's a little out of my usual way (and, with five XJ's, I can run through a lot of oil!) this may present a viable alternative.

Considering what sort of temperatures are involved in melting metal (I'm thinking 2200-2500*F for most metals) building a waste-oil fired space heater should be relatively easy - run the exhaust through a heat exchanger, and use a sort of "forced-air" setup to heat your garage, for instance?

5-90

for about 5 to 7 years my dad has been heating his garage with waste oil. All it required is a barrel stove some coper tubeing, and a seep nozzle (from an oil furnace)
We mounted a tank on the roof and ran the copper tube down and into the garage, then attaced it to a valve on the wall and to the seep valve on the stove.
The seep valve won't allow the fire to go into the tank, and the valve will alow us to turn the feed of and allow the fire to go out.
All we do and put one or to pieces of wood in to start the fire and get a base of coals. and then turn the seep on and it will run for hours on just alittle wood some times days if I forget to turn the valve off.

Service Manager pulled all of the techs in the dealership into a meeting yesterday morning and had us all watch the jiffy lube tape. pisses me off. Mechanincs already get a bad rap, and then you get a bunch of crooked uneducated oil slingers pulling crap like that. I dont know how many times I've had to replace oil pans, Oil filter mounts, or rebuild diffs because of what those guys have done. My favorite is when I get a customer back wanting to know why they need a new fuel, or air filter or a particular service done when it was just done 5k miles ago. Invarieably it comes down to a quick lube tech told them they needed all this work. Now I have to put there vehicle up in the air and show them that everything has been done correctly. I know that there are alot of shady people that give the profession a bad name, but on the flip side there are alot of us with a huge investment in training and education that take this job very seriously, and put our best into every job. I never really cared about tool quality until I started using them everyday. IMHO there is a HUGE differance between even Craftsman, and Snap on, Mac, Matco, or SK I know I pay waaaay more for the tools off the truck, but they rarely let me down and when they do it is dealt with quickly and without hassle. Having not only the right tools, but quality tools makes jobs so much better and easier.
Rant Over:firedevil

I worked at Jiffy Lube for a year. it was my first job and it sucked. they would sell people shit they didnt need, make up parts, add in extra charges and other stuff too. i hated that job. i never took my car there before and i definitly wont take it there ever

I used to work at a used car dealer/repair shop that specialized in repairing/selling Cadillacs (real good place).Every used car we got in,we would thouroughly check it out,change all fluids,fix what needed to be fixed etc,couple of the head guys there literally drove the cars as there personal vehicles before they felt they could be sold on the lot.An honestly good used car lot.

One day a woman came in to buy a Ford Tempo,she drove it,liked,it,bought it,etc.We assured her that all the fluids were just done,etc.

The next day she came back and said the car broke down on her,we towed in to the shop,and discovered that there was no oil in the motor...as a matter of fact...no drain plug even.

I look up and see an Oil Change sticker from Jiffy Liube across the street from us from the day before.

She failed to tell us that she went to Jiffy Lube and had the oil "drained".

Jiffy Lube ended up paying for a new motor,she instead put the money Towards a newer DeVille and we took the Tempo back dirt cheap and put a new motor in it.

just remember there are always bad apples... and good ones. Southern California Jiffy lubes are notorious within the JL corporation for stuff that they pull unfortunately.

I work at a Jiffy Lube currently. Go ahead bash me. Except, wait, I'm about to start on a graduate degree for architecture. I'm ASE certified and I've been working on cars for years, I even rebuilt a briggs n stratton at the age 11. And earlier today, when I pulled an airfilter out of a lady's car she had been sold on replacing, both me and the person who sold it to her were happy to say, "guess what despite the mileage in our system, your air filter still looks good."

I'd like to see some of you hobbyist's work twelve hours straight and do oil changes and then some on 90+ cars a day and not ever make a mistake.

I am sorry about the thread starter's CRD though, and anyone else who has had a problem. I like those quite a bit, a few come into my work and have been problem free so far. Its in our best interest to keep customers happy, not make them pissed by effing up there cars.

Last edited:
lol, I actually didn't notice that. Nor do I know how I even ended up on it except that it was right near the top of the non-tech forum.

But people come in there and treat you like crap everyday, I wasn't feeling like dealing with that here too.

consider the subject dead

im sorry, but i got screwed over at jiffy lube, first the guy said the oil change would be $29.95+tax for my 2000 XJ, then when it was check out time the bil came to $48 and some change, i asked what happened , he said that theres a surcharge for the extra quart of oil that the jeep gets 6, not 5, and for it being 4wd,
ok i understand the extra quart but 4wd? a 4wd cherokee oil change is no different than a 2wd cherokee oil change, idk, im just not going back. oh and after i spent almost $50 he gave me a coupon book for $10 off the next change, are you ***'n serious ?

Back