• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

whos got a dana 30 with 35s locked

I said nothing of the such. There's a big difference between backing up a few inches or turning the wheel a little bit, and just powering through it. If your breaking 3 out of 5 runs, you should evaluate your driving habits no matter WHAT axles your on.

btw i forgot my smilie,

:D

the breaks were after backing up a few inches, I finally found traction with one tire and by god I was gonna use it. The ring gear must have been damaged earlier in the day because there was no way that should have broken when it did.

Yeah, most of the ring and pinion failures I have seen seem to have been semi random. I trussed the hell out of my housing and went with a really strong diff cover, we'll see how it holds up. I have most of the tread left on my 35's, but when they are tore up may go to 36's or 37's for the next run. I kinda wanna see how strong my front end turned out. I did an overbuilt housing, alloy usa 30 spline inners and outers with arb and ctm's, 30 spline unit bearings. I have a 5x5.5 30 spline hub kit sitting in the garage, and will be installing that sometime this year with some beadlocked wheels.

*shrug*

goodburbon said:
I'm giving it another chance, but only because I can't afford a 44 or 9in now. I can't understand the sudden swing of opinion on the turdy. IT WILL BREAK, THAT'S WHAT 30'S DO! It's as though everyone woke up one morning and said, " I know it has let me or someone I know of down more than once, but I KNOW it won't do that to me (again)."

I hate to sound like a party pooper but it just keeps breaking.

I have been crawling a total of 5 times and the 30 has let me down 3.
Inners twisting the splines (first time), then outers ripping off the ears (third time), then once all shafts were alloys, breaking teeth off of the ring gear (last time). I'm on 33's TT front and E-locker rear and I push it when I am in a bind. Most of the time it gets me through, but on 3 occasions I have heard "pop" and I hate driving home early.

I think what has happened with the 30 is this. The 44 is proven to be only a temporary solution to the problem of breakage. For the time and money most invest into a 44, they find it just wasnt worth it. Or at least that is the case out west. I stuck with the 30 because I had it and because I know that I could break a 44 just as easy as a 30. So it stays with the 35" tires until I am ready for 40"s and a 10k front axle.

Scrappy said:
I think what has happened with the 30 is this. The 44 is proven to be only a temporary solution to the problem of breakage. For the time and money most invest into a 44, they find it just wasnt worth it. Or at least that is the case out west. I stuck with the 30 because I had it and because I know that I could break a 44 just as easy as a 30. So it stays with the 35" tires until I am ready for 40"s and a 10k front axle.

$10k?

300m internals?

I'm rollin a sub $2k d60 :D and 40s are in the works.

xDUMPTRUCKx said:
$10k?

300m internals?

I'm rollin a sub $2k d60 :D and 40s are in the works.

Yes 300M shafts, spidertrax knuckles the whole deal. "Dont tiddle my diddle, do me." Know what I mean?

so far the 30 in my YJ hasnt broken one thing and im locked running 35's on stock shafts and Its a stick shift so there is more shock load applied. I have hammered the snot out of it 90% of the time so I anticipate breaking something eventually but the cost of building a 44 just seems like a waste to me. Id much rather put that extra money into my xj or my other hobbies

dzraces said:
so far the 30 in my YJ hasnt broken one thing and im locked running 35's on stock shafts and Its a stick shift so there is more shock load applied. I have hammered the snot out of it 90% of the time so I anticipate breaking something eventually but the cost of building a 44 just seems like a waste to me. Id much rather put that extra money into my xj or my other hobbies

Its leaf spring huh? Leafs springs are MUCH easier on axles than a linked suspension. Your comparison is not necessarily valid in the XJ world. BrettM for instance ran hard trails in Johnson Valley with stock 44 stuff on 35s and it never twitched. Link < Leafs Links = broken stuff

Scrappy said:
Its leaf spring huh? Leafs springs are MUCH easier on axles than a linked suspension. Your comparison is not necessarily valid in the XJ world. BrettM for instance ran hard trails in Johnson Valley with stock 44 stuff on 35s and it never twitched. Link < Leafs Links = broken stuff
I see your point and agree leafs are easyer on axels. POint still stands though that there are many people running 35's on the dana 30 and not everyone breaks it all the time.

i had a friend run 37" TSLs on a stock 30. he was open but he was pretty hard on it. i was waiting and waiting to hear a SNAP but it never happend. he also had a 27sp welded 8.25 and didnt break that......maybe b/c his 4.0 was on its last leg and sounded like a go cart engine....

Almost everyone has a friend who knew someone who's cousins aunt's dogs sister wheeled on a welded 27 spline axle and never broke.

Almost like everyone knew santa clause existed once ;)

well even though this thread is old, i guess i'll add to it since its alive

HP D30 out of a '95 XJ, TnT Customs Truss with raised UCA mounts and trac bar mount, boxed LCA mounts with JKS Skid, 297s (all on 31s for now till regear)

after regear it will have, 35" Bighorns, OX locker, 4.88s, axle seals, and maybe 760s

bmyohn said:
well even though this thread is old, i guess i'll add to it since its alive

HP D30 out of a '95 XJ, TnT Customs Truss with raised UCA mounts and trac bar mount, boxed LCA mounts with JKS Skid, 297s (all on 31s for now till regear)

after regear it will have, 35" Bighorns, OX locker, 4.88s, axle seals, and maybe 760s

Your last line is pretty much my 30, less the TNT truss and 35" MTRs instead of Bighorns. I also went with Yukon alloys and super-joints. I run the Ox open as much as possible, less stress on the components in most situations and easier to steer. In the end a lot of it comes down to driving style. If you're a hammer-down type wheeler, you * can * and will break anything eventually. For the money and ease of modification, the 30 is a pretty good axle.

yep, thats what ive heard. ive been told, that with all ive done to this axle the only real, worthy upgrade would me to a Dana 60 up front. but it may be a little overkill for right now

Back