• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's going?

Playing this one by ear..blew the bottle out at 13,000 feet in colorado, but it was overheating wayyyy before then. So all I got to see (still worth the trip), was alpine loop (engineer pass, silverado and things like that there). Came back to SLC, when the local shop couldn't give much input on what's still left to fix the problem... so I have a few days to get this addressed, and still make the rubicon. Problem is..it doesn't heat on anything but up steep hills, so I wouldn't know if it was fixed..until I was on the trail. And I really don't want to screw up anyone's trail..and I really, really don't want to miss this run..cuz..first real vacation I've gotten since 9-11. Shrug, I'll try and be there. Thinking a Modine open might help, and whatever else I can throw on there in a couple of days and still make it out. No one stocks parts anymore, seems like, so the parts getting there on time..is the sticking point. Regardless, if I don't make it, keep the check, put it toward an extra hot dog for the kids, and keep your fingers crossed.

poomba said:
Playing this one by ear..blew the bottle out at 13,000 feet in colorado, but it was overheating wayyyy before then. So all I got to see (still worth the trip), was alpine loop (engineer pass, silverado and things like that there). Came back to SLC, when the local shop couldn't give much input on what's still left to fix the problem... so I have a few days to get this addressed, and still make the rubicon. Problem is..it doesn't heat on anything but up steep hills, so I wouldn't know if it was fixed..until I was on the trail. And I really don't want to screw up anyone's trail..and I really, really don't want to miss this run..cuz..first real vacation I've gotten since 9-11. Shrug, I'll try and be there. Thinking a Modine open might help, and whatever else I can throw on there in a couple of days and still make it out. No one stocks parts anymore, seems like, so the parts getting there on time..is the sticking point. Regardless, if I don't make it, keep the check, put it toward an extra hot dog for the kids, and keep your fingers crossed.

I've got a pressure bottle and a 2-row modine. If you have any trouble getting parts let me know. Probably have some other cooling system crap laying around if you need it.

Also we'll be picking up I-80 at Wells, NV sometime Friday morning if you want someone to travel with just in case you have problems.

I appreciate the hell out of that, Lincoln. You're good people. I'll push hard to get the stuff installed here in slc, so it doesn't cut into anyone's trail time. I KNOW poopoo occurs on the trail..but bugged me that I slowed our group in colorado so they didn't take some offshoot stuff. If I can't get it done here, I'll ask the West Cost..er, Coast people for a raincheck and do the con next year..even if it has to be in a whole 'nother jeep. I'll try my best to hook up with you guys. Frankly, the type of jeep doesn't matter to me..I've just found the best drive xj's... I'm pitching a lil weight, too, see if that helps any. But with all the armor, and bumpers, it still ain't light... Maybe take the hood off, hell I dunno. Already changed clutch fans, radiators, hoses, thermostats, and it has a aftermarket electric fan on the side that the tranny cooler is on, so..not sure what else is left. the water pump seems to be working, but might change it just in case. It's just when it climbs, if there's air flow (me moving 15 mph or more) its pretty well fine. Highway, I can do 85 with the air conditioning on, and it never gets over 210..cept when it climbs. So, dunno. :) I'll give it my best shot..I really wanna drive the 'Con and meet the faces behind the signatures. :eyes:

xj4moab said:
Poomba we will be leaving SLC around 5 or 6 am on saturday

Cool..well, that IS the issue, isn't it..I mean, great :). Still, me being stubborn, I'm gonna try and get this thrown together and my butt on out there asap..figure, if I can make it, 4dyce would tell me one way or another. Bring a wrench, if it blows up, might charge a dollar for 10 minutes with a wrench and raise some cash for the chapter... Or bring a really BIG wrench, and beat me with it, for not listening when people asked if sinking so much into an 89, back in april..was such a good plan..Heh, but ya know..I wuz trying to get to Moab, and.... I STILL plan on seeing you guys out there. :smsoap: hasta

And before anyone else suggests it, we thought of trying the trails in reverse, cuz, then it wouldn't be uphill, right?

Ditch the aftermarket fan and get a new style stock electric. Even if you don't get it put on before you leave it would be worth trying if you have problems. I've got 5 or 6 aftermarkets I've tried and the new style stock worked the best. It's gotta be the shroud design. I made a sheet metal shroud on the highest flow aftermarket (Scotts) I could find and it still didn't move enough. The stocker moved more.

Also I also had a brand new GDI that was partially plugged.

Make sure there is flow running through the bottle (old style cooling right?) after it's warmed up. If there isn't any flow through there it's a sign of an air bubble.

Good luck.

Marni, Emma and I will be there sunday for the BBQ. I blew up the engine in my tow rig last weekend so we are still working out the logistics of getting the heep up there. Yes, I might even drive it, but the SX's make for a really squirly highway ride.

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. I have wheeled since Moab 02, except for last weekends Fordyce maiden voyage, during which the heep was flawless.

SeanP

Me and my ladies (wife n youngins) will be up at Ice House all weekend with Jerry and his family doing some boating / fishing, then joining up for the BBQ. We are in camp sites 34 & 36. Swing by if you get up there early.

Jeff

poomba said:
Cool..well, that IS the issue, isn't it..I mean, great :). Still, me being stubborn, I'm gonna try and get this thrown together and my butt on out there asap..figure, if I can make it, 4dyce would tell me one way or another. Bring a wrench, if it blows up, might charge a dollar for 10 minutes with a wrench and raise some cash for the chapter... Or bring a really BIG wrench, and beat me with it, for not listening when people asked if sinking so much into an 89, back in april..was such a good plan..Heh, but ya know..I wuz trying to get to Moab, and.... I STILL plan on seeing you guys out there. :smsoap: hasta

And before anyone else suggests it, we thought of trying the trails in reverse, cuz, then it wouldn't be uphill, right?

Take this for what it's worth, but in my experience if the pump is good (they really only leak when they're bad), the thermostat is opening, the reservoir cap is sealing, and the fans are good, it's a partially plugged radiator......happens all the time. I plugged a new radiator 40% in a couple of years because I didn't backflush the motor when I installed the new radiator, rodded out the radiator and it's been good ever since, except when I had trouble getting a cap that would seal. I finally went to a Volvo cap which works great (part number 33051).

Open or closed makes little difference. Contrary to popular opinion the open system doesn't cool better, you just don't have to deal with the pressure bottle (I always carry a spare, they're cheap).

Good luck, and we'll see you Friday. :D

Goatman said:
Take this for what it's worth, but in my experience if the

Open or closed makes little difference. Contrary to popular opinion the open system doesn't cool better, you just don't have to deal with the pressure bottle (I always carry a spare, they're cheap).

Good luck, and we'll see you Friday. :D

Blown head gasket..guess I had enough air flow down the road to mask it heating up on the highway. 100 parts per million, hydrocarbons, in the coolant, sooo..should get it done, and me on the road by tomorrow night. If that's all it is, I'll get a new bottle and prayer wheels from a buddist monk and call it good, heading on out. I don't have any spare shafts for the front (dana 30) and no idea what these real shafts fit..cough..but I do have 5 tow straps! Anyway, getting the head milled or whatever we call it, when its resurfaced. I hope this is it..should be. Beats the hell out of my 'lets whack a hole in the hood and run a fan straight up' idea. If it overheats again, though, I'll be the guy on the bumper swingin' an axe at the hood. Just stand back until I stop muttering to myself....
But ya know what? I'm going to the 'Con..and the rest just don't matter... :wave1: :pig:

poomba said:
Blown head gasket..guess I had enough air flow down the road to mask it heating up on the highway. 100 parts per million, hydrocarbons, in the coolant, sooo..should get it done, and me on the road by tomorrow night. If that's all it is, I'll get a new bottle and prayer wheels from a buddist monk and call it good, heading on out. I don't have any spare shafts for the front (dana 30) and no idea what these real shafts fit..cough..but I do have 5 tow straps! Anyway, getting the head milled or whatever we call it, when its resurfaced. I hope this is it..should be. Beats the hell out of my 'lets whack a hole in the hood and run a fan straight up' idea. If it overheats again, though, I'll be the guy on the bumper swingin' an axe at the hood. Just stand back until I stop muttering to myself....
But ya know what? I'm going to the 'Con..and the rest just don't matter... :wave1: :pig:

Sorry for the hassle and the expense, and bummer that you missed some of the CO trip, but I'm glad you'll make the CA trip. If you haven't already, it's sure a good idea to send that radiator out to have it checked while the engine is apart, just to be sure, unless it's a very fresh radiator.

If you have a non-disconnect, I have a set of D30 297x axle shafts, brand new, that I could bring. I'll try to remember to throw them in the truck.

Goatman said:
Sorry for the hassle and the expense, and bummer that you missed some of the CO trip, but I'm glad you'll make the CA trip. If you haven't already, it's sure a good idea to send that radiator out to have it checked while the engine is apart, just to be sure, unless it's a very fresh radiator.

If you have a non-disconnect, I have a set of D30 297x axle shafts, brand new, that I could bring. I'll try to remember to throw them in the truck.

I have a...um..shiznit..I used to know what I had..I got axles, that's whut I done got..sorry, I can't remember if they're c clip, or what. the radiator is 1 month old. the head was warped, but I dunno if the head warped from the heat, or the heat was from the warped head. At any rate, if it looks to be a problem, we'll get me off the trail so I don't slow anyone down, and I'll go home wif my tail between my legs..til next year. I'm headed (no pun, honest) out there now, gonna take it slow and easy, cuz, it's been a long 2 days at the shop. See you guys there, and thanks :repair:
Gods, I reallllly want a beer...but, driving first..take care people. Somebody bring my gd'd tee shirt! :pig:

Man...this is too sad...

I'm really gonna miss you guys - but, sadly enough, we don't make enough $$$ to support Crash's Jeep habits, so I won't be able to take off the time required to do the Con. Have fun and party hard - I'll be living vicariously through y'all - and I'll meet whoever's left from the trip Thursday night/Friday morning at Barrett.

Crash: I expect regular updates and late night URF calls. Noncompliance = capital punishment.

Lu

Thats too bad. I was hoping you'ld be there to tell me my rig was perty and point out all the stuff wrong with it. See you at Barrett.

SeanP said:
Marni, Emma and I will be there sunday for the BBQ. I blew up the engine in my tow rig last weekend so we are still working out the logistics of getting the heep up there. Yes, I might even drive it, but the SX's make for a really squirly highway ride.

I am really looking forward to seeing everyone. I have wheeled since Moab 02, except for last weekends Fordyce maiden voyage, during which the heep was flawless.

SeanP

Could you tow with your 98' zj Sean? I was hoping to see you for the Lost Coast trip last March. What happened? I blew my tranny in my 98' zj during that trip in the creek on Usal Beach, man that sucked. Still waiting to refinance and get the $$$ to get it rebuilt or replaced.

Lupine said:
Man...this is too sad...

I'm really gonna miss you guys - but, sadly enough, we don't make enough $$$ to support Crash's Jeep habits, so I won't be able to take off the time required to do the Con. Have fun and party hard - I'll be living vicariously through y'all - and I'll meet whoever's left from the trip Thursday night/Friday morning at Barrett.

Crash: I expect regular updates and late night URF calls. Noncompliance = capital punishment.

Lu

:twak: :D Yeah, the whole week Con run is too rich for my blood too. Every hour of time I get for PTO I have to devote to my family back in IL. I rather do the con during a 2-3 day weekend anyways, you guys should hopefully have the trail almost to yourselves. When is the Barrett trail open other than next weekend? I heard it isn't open that much during the year.
Troy

Back