• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's Broken???

FELIX

Who Knows, Ask Who
Just curious, Who if anyone has actually broken a stock main shaft, or a correctly (centered) hack & tap in a 231?
What was the factors, tire size, heavy on the gas, size lift,mud,sand,rocks, ect.

thanks.
Rob

I have run one for years,if I had a clue how to post video I'd show you what giving one "hell" is, never broken it. Broke three t-cases , not at the shaft, removed the hack and tap and installed on the next victim. This is with 38.5s and a stroker motor.

i broke one. axle wrap is my guess.

242380_194_full.jpg

242380_209_full.jpg

DC has teh HD SYE's for $170 delivered right now. i'd jump on that one.

I have been running one for about 3-4 yeaars now and have not had one problem. I run 4.88 gears with detriot lockers and 33's. And I do run her hard thur the trails and rocks, don't like sand. Axel-wrap or like you said bottom-out u-joint. There is a new u-joint on the market called the (Cheater Joint/Super Flex Joint). It's made by Tom Woods Drive Shafts and it comes in both 1310 and 1350 series. The design of the off-set trunnions sets the the yokes further apart then the conventional joints. It's suppose to allow for a 10 degree more flexibility then the standards joints, which they say a 5" more droop before it binds... The next set of joints that I have to replace, I will try them out. If anyone has them allready, Please post up your opinions.

Hey guys, Thanks. Yeah I have had a RE hack & tap for about 7 or 8 years w/ No problems. I was just currious on how many have suffered broken shafts, if it was really common, or like putting a man on the moon, very seldom. I'm not real hard on my truck, but it does get used. I recently added a 4:1, & was wondering if the extra torque might be a factor. I run smaller tires, 32x11.5's which have taken me everywhere I've wanted to go, locked in rear, & true tracked front{soon to be locked}

Thanks, & we'll see if the list gets bigger.

Rob

running numerically higher gears in your axles will reduce the torque load on your main shaft.

thats why running bigger tires on stock gears is unwise.

a little sidenote

Back