• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who or what inspired you to build your first Jeep?

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User
Who or what inspired you to build your first Jeep?

for me it was a man called GO Jeep, and another man called MAD XJ... after reading their pages I was knew I wanted to build my Jeep

also I needed an excuse to get a decent welder...

what about you? Who or what did it for you?

I've always had plans to build whatever 4x4 I owned. Started with a Tracker but killed it on the highway before getting a chance to do any work to it.

when i got my 96 back in 05, i did a quick google search for cherokee offroading. it was done then and there

I've always had plans to build whatever 4x4 I owned. Started with a Tracker but killed it on the highway before getting a chance to do any work to it.

I also started my 4X4 affliction with a tracker and soon had kids and the Cherokee was the best option. Joined here and my wallet has been empty since.

I had a 4wd 02 ford ranger extended cab with 33s on it. I tried to follow a buddy of mine over a steep hill in his bronco 2 and got high centered. I decided I needed something with a shorter wheel base and the rest is history.

My family had a 94xj which ended up being my first vehicle at 15. something about it made me google "jeep cherokee" one day and I noticed that these things can be made less boring.

^ he made me do it.

I always loved Jeeps since my mom's old boss would take us out in his old CJ and i was hooked. That and there are about 9 jeeps in my family. I'm the only crazy XJ driver though!

buddy took me out in his wrangler once and that was it. i went out with him the next time. since i already had my xj for a couple years, i had no idea that i could do everything he was doing in my xj. That was the end of my money

Bought my Cherokee Sport new in 1996 (12/1995 build) and just kept it standard for all these years - but then came across GoJeep which led me to this site and i have seen what Jeep's can really do. I have already started some mods and intend doing many more with the help of all these great people posting their mods on here. Thanks to you all. By the way, i am nearly 60 years old and just love my Jeep. Best vehicle i have ever owned (and thats really saying something because i also have a BMW 540i and a Subaru WRX). Have a great day everyone.

By accident, I bought the jeep on ebay because I thought I was gonna DD it in the winter while I was building a lowrider truck. Ended up building the jeep instead for alot cheaper, was a much better move.

My brother bought a '96 ZJ with the V8 in it. I used it to haul a U-haul across Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia and loved it.

I went out a couple weeks later and bought my own '96 ZJ with the I-6. About 9 months later I decided I wanted a second Jeep to off road with and got an '85 with the 2.8 V6.

SInce then I bought and sold a '90 XJ and a '94 ZJ, sold the '85 XJ, and bought an '04 WJ, and an '01 XJ.

Still have the '96, '01, and '04. Been a member on NAXJA since 1999.

I wanted a Jeep since the 70's after watching CJ's driving on the trails in the mountains in of Colorado. When my dad took me to a dealership and let me sit in a Golden Eagle on the showroom floor, I was enthrawled.

My first ride was a hotrod, then a street truck....until I went to Moab with a college buddy who grew up there. I was committed to a Wrangler when I graduated but during one of our Moab trips, I watched a YJ and an XJ both attempt the same obstacles and the mildly built XJ spanked a better build YJ, more cargo room/passenger confort and longer wheelbase, that sealed the deal.

First XJ was a loaded 94 Country that I purchased in 95, sold that one and replaced it with an 89 which I wheeled for about 12 years, sold it and purchased my current rig which is a 2000.

Last edited:
i always liked the look of the xjs, bought my first one in 05 and it has since been the only vehicle i've ever had that can handle the beating i put on it :D

I went offroading in my Subie and decided that I should get rid of it and get a Jeep instead so I could actually afford to fix it.

in 2001, I visited my sister and bro-in-law in Burbank and they had(still have) a 86XJ and we went out to some state park. At the time, I was just wanting something camping friendly. Ended up getting an 01 XJ later in that same month. I've had 2 offroad Jeeps since then and currently an 05WK. I have no eta if I'll ever get into the wheeling hobby again however.

I became familiar with Cherokees and their ruggedness/reliability after living with my friend and his family (they owned two 4.0L HO w/ AW4). I bought a Dodge pickup when I got into 4x4 trucks. Started hanging out on the BC4x4 message board/email group circa 1999 and saw Rob Bryce's MJ, Alan Chung and Larry Soo's XJs...so when the Dodge Ram didn't pan out I *had* to have an XJ. For the actual building, I was largely inspired by Dan Starc and Bill Van Tuyl, who became a good local friends (I work for Bill VT presently...have for several years, in fact). The rest is history. :)

Back