• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who makes the best stroker long blocks??

Cjmartz2k

NAXJA Forum User
My current motor had a little submarine expedition a little while ago--read hydrolock. I bent a rod, but simply pressed a new rod on to the old piston and put it back in (the motor stayed in the jeep the whole time). I know a total engine rebuild was in order, but if I can squeeze 10k miles out of it in this form, I'll be happy (i've already got 5k). So anyways, my oil pressure is starting to go south, and I'm looking at putting in a stroker, but I'm my way to Japan (USAF) and I'm going to leave my jeep with my parents, so when it croaks, they are just going to want to take it somewhere and have the motor replaced. They don't want to get there hands dirty, so I'll need to be sending them an assembled engine for a mechanic to put in. I'll be saving my $ till than in anticipation, so I just want to get some recomendations on fully assembled 4.6 or 4.7 stroker long blocks. Does anybody warranty them? Also, as my oil pressure keeps going further and further down, what can I expect? Will it just seize up one day? How long do they usaully last? I'm at about 8psi at idle and like 38psi cruising. Can I help it out by running thicker oil, or will that just mask the symptoms? Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Chris

www.golenengineservice.com

JP rag just did a write up on crate motors, this runs $3299 according to JP. Requires use of 91 octane.

Not sure if they're the ones who went belly up or not, but there's also www.hescosc.com

James

Haha, holy crap, you're at Sheppard? My home town. My Dad instructs on base, and Mom works in the Education office. James and Linda Harrison. Small world.

Last edited:
Golen should be good, and I believe they'll make it whatever compression ratio you want. Hesco, as far as I know, is still in business and also good. Accurate Power is the one that appears to have gone out of business, and I just recently heard that Clifford Performance is no longer doing strokers.

So check out Golen and Hesco.

My oil pump took a crap at 145k. With the new one in place I've got 40psi warm @ idle and 60+ everywhere else. I've heard some rumors that factory 4.0 oil pumps get sloppy around 150k or so? Mine did. As for the oil issue, thicker oil will definitely give you more pressure. It will provide more film between the journals and bearings, hence higher oil pressure (to an extent).

FUNKYTEE5

Yeah, I'm at Sheppard for about 2 more months, than off to Kadena AFB in Okinawa. I've been here for 3 years though, so I'm ready to see the ocean again. I've only got 68k on my motor, so I'm pretty sure it's not the pump, but maybe. How much do they cost? How 'bout a high flow unit? I'm considering replacing the rod and main bearings. Anybody done this with the motor in it? I called Hesco yesterday and talked to Benny--very informative. Unfortunatly, it's like $5250 for an assembled long block :-( He did not seem very impressed with all the low buck short rod strokers everybody has been making also. I dunno about that, but there's is a long rod with custom forged piston with he said he can make to any comp. ratio I want and is ready for nitrous or boost. I guess you gotta pay for quality.

Pay $5250 for quality? I don't think so.
I built my own 4.6 stroker for just $1136 (yes, a home built short rod version) and with 11200 miles on it so far, it's running great (knock on wood). You could realistically have a similar one built for $1500-2000 if you buy Speedomotive's kit, get a machine shop to bore the cylinders, and a good mechanic to assemble the engine. That's still only 1/2 of what a Golen long block would cost and only 1/3 of Hesco's.
Accurate Power went belly up last month, Jakes Racing Engines went belly up in February, and Clifford Performance stopped supplying stroker parts many months ago though they're still in business.
Your engine isn't on its last legs yet but it will be pretty soon. I suggest you replace the rod/main bearings (with the engine in the vehicle) and the oil pump. This fix will certainly be a whole lot better than fixing a broken leg with a bandaid by merely adding thicker oil to the crankcase, and it could give your engine a new lease of life.

265hp@4900/325lbft@3500, 1/4 mile = [email protected], 0-60 = 5.7secs
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

I'll be replacing the bearings than soon. Any tips? Are the mains pretty hard? I already know about the rod bearings because I did one when I hydrolocked my motor (bent #1 rod). Also, before the hydrolock, I am on my 3rd cam. Could this be an indication of bad cam bearings, and if so, am I just screwed and need to take the motor out? It ate the factory cam, and I replaced it with a Crane 753905, and it ate that one to. The third one I had new MP spings put on the head and shimmed the rockers. So far so good.

Doc has put together some great info for the skilled mechanic...the quality of a motor is the sum of its machinist's talent and the assembler's talent.

If I was in a position where I had to pay someone to build a motor...it would be someone I knew was good. Of the names brought up previously, I can say from personal experience that Hesco is professional. It is my understanding that Golen is good also based on the performance of a motor in the local mud bogg circuit. The other alternative would be to employ a local shop that is well known and has a good reputation.

I know of at least three Jeepers on the JU forum that have Golen 4.6 stroker long blocks and all three are happy so far. I haven't heard any bad things about Golen.

Thanks Dino. I'll probably look at them pretty hard when the time comes. Do you know of anybody who has had one or any stroker for that matter that has been in for a good long while like 50k miles or more? Just wondering.

I know of one stroker built using Accurate Power's kit (not built by AP) that's still going strong at ~80k miles. There are also one or two other home built budget strokers still going at 50+k miles. The majority of strokers won't have hit the 50k mile mark yet.

Back