• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is running an AMC V-8 in their XJ/MJ?

No way on earth a 4.0 can compare to a AMC V8.

We have one in a gremlin right now that is mild on pump gas that puts 510 to the rear tire. Show me a 4.0 that will come close to that.

At what rpm does it do both, and will it do any good spinning it that tight and can you use any of it then?

It made peak power at 6300. While it is tame for a street/strip car, it would be a tad out of range in an XJ. It would work, just wouldnt be the best choice. Only thing I would change would be the camshaft and cam timing to bring the rpm curve down a bit. Would still be leaps and bounds better than any 4.0. The AMC V8's are no different than any other V8, all will make more power than a 4.0 with even a weak build. This one is a 401, not a 360.

^ Truth
The 4.0 is a good engine for torque at / off idle and they put up with a lot of miles and abuse.
They will be outperformed by any V8 that is even halfway trying, though.

I've got a Mopar 5.9 tucked into my XJ... The 4.0 was giving every thing she had rolling my 35's where the V8 has plenty left over in reserve...

4.X stroker vs stock V8 i'd think it's less clear. It is clear to me, though, that all but a full-tilt racing I6 will be outclassed by even a moderate built V8. I haven't seen dyno graphs of a 5.2, 401, 5.9 or many other engines to compare to the I6 but I can't imagine the I6 keeping up with a Chevy 5.3 or 6.0 for torque. Damn things haul a lot more boat than I can afford, even set up in heavier trucks.

An AMC 360 doesn't need much to be over 330hp and 400lb/ft of torque. Cam, intake, exhaust, and that's about it. mild head work with a better cam you can easily see 350+... 400hp takes a bit more money in parts and machine work, but still not a nightmare. A 401 on the other hand can see that number with a good cam and intake and exhaust alone...

^ Truth
The 4.0 is a good engine for torque at / off idle and they put up with a lot of miles and abuse.
They will be outperformed by any V8 that is even halfway trying, though.

Um, not sure about the "any V8" , but most any V8. There are a handful, at least, of V8's that are only good as boat anchors. Chevy 305 V8 is one of them that comes to mind.

Um, not sure about the "any V8" , but most any V8. There are a handful, at least, of V8's that are only good as boat anchors. Chevy 305 V8 is one of them that comes to mind.

Have a 305 in my XJ and never had a power problem or any other problem with it. Check your figures again and factor in real life experience.

You're right. The word "any" leaves way too many options out there. Even Fords...

Interesting thread, it got me researching the AMC V-8s, and how the factory set them up. I can see a lot of guys shying away from an engine build, because you can't do everything with a hammer and a welder. :D

I'll be looking forward to the build. :thumbup:

I think an AMC V8 swap would be cool and different.

Lmao! I didn't quite expect that I would manage to poke a bear and get all the variety of responses to this quandary. Kinda funny though... If you've ever heard an AMC V-8 with a decent cam and proper exhaust, you know exactly why I want to go this route... They have the greatest mellow sound of any domestic small block...

it's your rig, do what you want... you didnt ask "what would you do?" or "whats best?" a V8 swap is pretty common so just do it your own way.
my next engine swap is going to be an old school Mopar 340 with a carb into a small 2-seater car... maybe a TR6.
not because it's what is popular. because i think it would be cool.

They have the greatest mellow sound of any domestic small block...

you may have just poked another bear with that statement... prepare for the performance exhaust "bear" to wake up...

looking forward to seeing how your build goes.

Back