• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

who is john galt?

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
i'm going to keep this short.....

anyone who has not read atlas shrugged needs to do so now.

anyone who has already read it, read it again.

anyone who doesn't like books, or doesn't have the time to read an actual book/kindle, for smart phone users, i highly recommend the audiobook narrated by scott brick.

“I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”

“Until and unless you discover that money is the root of all good, you ask for your own destruction. When money ceases to become the means by which men deal with one another, then men become the tools of other men. Blood, whips and guns--or dollars. Take your choice--there is no other.”

My favorite line is "If you want to take my property, bring guns."

I have only seen the movies but my Dad has read the books as well as seen the movies. I know movies are never as good as the book, I just have a hard time sitting down and reading. I am very ADD and everytime I try to read a book I just fall asleep or get distracted haha. I do really enjoy the story and it is scary how close it is to the way things are now and were they are likely to head all with it having been written in 1957!

My favorite line is "If you want to take my property, bring guns."

I have only seen the movies but my Dad has read the books as well as seen the movies. I know movies are never as good as the book, I just have a hard time sitting down and reading. I am very ADD and everytime I try to read a book I just fall asleep or get distracted haha. I do really enjoy the story and it is scary how close it is to the way things are now and were they are likely to head all with it having been written in 1957!

I know what you mean. Pretty much the same way

And i never thought i'd like an audiobook until i experienced scott brick

Heck, I enjoyed the movies.

I read the book about a year ago as a suggestion from my dad. Sat and watched part one with him as well. I was excited to see part two is out now.

I'm about due to dig out my copy and read it again, it's been a few years. Have the movies followed true to the book? Often, novels suffer mightily in translation to the screen...

(I still can't bring myself to forgive Paul Verhoeven for what he did to Starship Troopers...)

I'm about due to dig out my copy and read it again, it's been a few years. Have the movies followed true to the book? Often, novels suffer mightily in translation to the screen...

(I still can't bring myself to forgive Paul Verhoeven for what he did to Starship Troopers...)

The book is too big for the screen imho

Saw part one last year, had to wait for the dvd since no theatres in liberal chicago would carry it

They did okay considering the small budget in part one

Glad i did the novel first

Ayn Rand AKA Alissa Zinovievna Rosenbaumn was born in St. Petersburg Russia in 1905, her books are not prophesy, she has lived through it, just as we are now. Learn from history or you are doomed to repeat it, amazing since the basic story has been told over and over again;
Movie – Logan’s Run
Music, Rush – Anthem, 2112, Tom Sawyer, Clockwork Angels.
Countless books.

Warnings from Alexis de Tocqueville, founding fathers, JFK, Reagan, William F Buckley, Limbaugh, and so on. It is just amazing how stupid we Americans are, people quit your union, turn off your TV and study history, even though it is probably too late.

Ayn Rand AKA Alissa Zinovievna Rosenbaumn was born in St. Petersburg Russia in 1905, her books are not prophesy, she has lived through it, just as we are now. Learn from history or you are doomed to repeat it, amazing since the basic story has been told over and over again;
Movie – Logan’s Run
Music, Rush – Anthem, 2112, Tom Sawyer, Clockwork Angels.
Countless books.

Warnings from Alexis de Tocqueville, founding fathers, JFK, Reagan, William F Buckley, Limbaugh, and so on. It is just amazing how stupid we Americans are, people quit your union, turn off your TV and study history, even though it is probably too late.

Don't forget George Orwell (1984, Animal Farm,) and, to a lesser extend, Aldous Huxley (Brave New World leaps irresistably to mind.)

Demolition Man could almost be said to be an adaptation of Brave New World, if you compare elements of the two...

For more books, you can also throw in Smoke Jumpers by Paul Freeman. What happens when PC and the anti-smoking craze end up getting out of control...

Demolition Man could almost be said to be an adaptation of Brave New World, if you compare elements of the two...

everytime someone mentions a ban on something for their own health (NYC soda ban and trans fats)crime I refer them to Demolition Man.

You mean no salt?

I dunno. I think I'd rather use my finger than printer paper...

Maybe I'm just not as tough as Sly...

Robert

It was more a matter of "turning the system against itself," I think.

Besides, we don't know the consistency of that printer paper. I've had to use notebook paper from time to time in high school (until I got smart enough to keep a small roll in my bag...)

Back