• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who is at fault here.

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Here's a sucky situation, just curious what others think.

My friends motorcycle broke down 3 months ago. His friend said bring it by he would fix it. No mention of cost so my friend thought he was just being nice and helping out. My friend went over helped with the work bought all the parts.

About a month in the guy told my friend it was going to be about 400 bucks. The guy had to order some additional parts so my friend thought he was joking or just wanting to cover the parts.

We go to pick the bike up today and the guy says its going to be 900 bucks now. I thought he was joking but he goes on that his normal shop rate is 100 and hour and hes giving a break and did it for 85 an hour. My friend stood in shock waiting for a punch line never expecting it.

Whos at fault here. Was my friend wrong to not clearify. Was the guy wrong for doing work before stating cost. Even if he said 400 at first you can't double the price upon pickup.

Really crappy situation and I blame both of them. My friend is up in arms that he got robbed and he only paid the 400 and left.

Agree'd both are wrong...I always state that I'm doing it just to help out if I am working on somebody else's stuff. On the flip side I always ask how much beer it is going to cost for the work that is being done to help me...

I believe by law a "shop" needs to get an "OK" from the customer about the work needed and price quoted. if the shop just does the work without getting the ok from the customer, the customer doesn't have to pay. At least thats on thing i recall learning in an "insurance fraud investigation" class i took a few years ago. Something the B.A.R. and B.B.B. can handle, if it was done by a legitimate shop.

Both.

one of the problems with owning/running a shop is that people assume they dont have to pay because they are your "friend" or because they helped you after hours.
they are both at fault for assuming the other guy knew what they expected, but they should have worked out all the details the first time he quoted a price and not assume for a second time.
your friend owes him for his time, parts, and probably some storage from the sounds of it.

The guy doesn't actually have a shop. The work was all done out of his hlme garage and as far as I couls tell he doesn't run a business out of it.

His comment about usually charging 100 an hour was because he Used to work at a shop. Something else that irked my friend. If he is paying shop rates he could have taken it to a shop and had the work done is a day or so, not 3 months and having to help.

Since it wasn't done at a shop I wouldn't pay a dime...sounds like he is just being a douche. Give him a half case a beer and be done with it...

The guy doesn't actually have a shop. The work was all done out of his hlme garage and as far as I couls tell he doesn't run a business out of it.

His comment about usually charging 100 an hour was because he Used to work at a shop. Something else that irked my friend. If he is paying shop rates he could have taken it to a shop and had the work done is a day or so, not 3 months and having to help.

then that makes it very different. he's simply a dick.
NEVER pay full shop wages to anyone operating without full shop expense. $20 / hr is reasonable for experienced help if it is agreed on before hand.
your friend needs to have a matter-of-fact discussion with this guy and call him on his BS.
he will owe him something for his work, they need ot work it out man to man.

I always let people know what something will cost. If they ask to help its double.....really no shit its double, because it will take twice as long.

Back