• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has used aftermarket body parts?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
I got in a wreck in my Jeep on friday and the insurance adjuster came and looked at and determined it was not a total loss and wrote me a check. I need to replace the header panel, passenger side headlight/maker light bezel, passenger marker lights, grill, and passenger side fender.

I can find the header panel, marker lights both sides, headlight bezels both sides, and grill for $150 shipped and she figured $217 for a used OEM header panel alone!

But I believe the new parts I found for $150 are all non-mopar aftermarket pieces. What level of quality and fit should I expect from these pieces? Like 90% as good as OEM or 30% quality compared to OEM and not worth the trouble of making them work right?

Panels and metal fitment seem to be ok. I can tell you the aftermarket header panels seem like crap, i had one and pitched it. The materials and quality leave much to be desired.

I used the CAPA certified plastic header panel that many companies sell. The overall fitment is okay, but the problem is that since the plastic flexes the top edge following the hood never lines up correctly. I found a used OEM fiberglass header panel for cheap, filled the small rock chips, and painted it all for less than what I paid for the plastic header panel.

From the title, I thought I might be able to sell a kidney and finish my jeep.:gag:

From the title, I thought I might be able to sell a kidney and finish my jeep.:gag:
Ahh, come on, you knew that wasn't possible. Jeeps are never finished.

If it were me I would shop the JY for a good front clip "factory parts" or buy a good parts XJ complete "best option".

If it were me I would shop the JY for a good front clip "factory parts" or buy a good parts XJ complete "best option".

Harder to find if his Jeep is 97+. Most of the XJ's I see in yards are front end wrecks also...

Back