• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has the highest Miles on an OEM 4.0L...no head/cylinder work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool thread, it makes me confident. But why are you guys favouring the Renix system, I thought HO was the way to go ?!

otto said:
248,000 and change on a 1990 base model 242ci I6 w/ AX-15 and np231 when it went in for total engine rebuild and new seals, about 30,000 miles ago, 2/3 of which were clocked by me. One owner Jeep when I got it, I'm the second and last....

They made bullet-proof engines, you think AMC/DC could make a clearcoat paint that wouldn't turn to dust under UV light exposure?:sunshine:

Let me guess, you have a 90 model XJ. Have you noticed that about 88-93 model ANYTHING built in the U.S. has this problem? Things built overseas, after or before have held up pretty good, thats my observation. I have been told by serveral people that around that time, the EPA changed the rules affecting paints due to toxicity and it took the chemical companies 5 years to come up with something durable. Don't have any good sources on that but it makes sense to me.

90 4.0 Sold in 1999 w/ 210,000 Spoke to buyer recently and it is at 260,000.

89 4.0 Just rolled 39,000 ORIGINAL Miles. (Most likely the lowest mileage renix on here)

I have noticed that about the paint. Brothers 94 Blazer looks like crap, friends 82 Silverado with original and poorly cared for paint looks better, what the hell?

I got 287,000 and was still going good UNTIL i got stuck in road construction dead stand still for quite some time(couldn't pull off major drop off) got it so hot it blew the lid off the overflow box(still closed system) and was in the red so it ctacked my head in 2 places still drove it another 10,000 miles before new motor dropped in.

Let me guess, you have a 90 model XJ.

Yup. Sides and rear hatch look OK, still hold a shine, but the hood, roof, and above the door handles have flaked off in a milky white paste, leaving the base Dover Grey paint underneath. If your explanation is correct, at least a paint job using modern clear coat won't do the same thing. I wonder how much of the old stuff in still in stock?

got an '87 with 196400 on the 4.0, and since its an '87 i still have great paint.

290,000 on my 91 Limited

i know these jeeps last incredibly long, but i think some of the credit should go to chrysler. In my experience, their trucks and suvs are made with much better quality than chevy or ford. my brother has a 93 dodge dakota with 190,000miles he has never replaced anything major. neither have I, so i guess we'll see whose vehicle breaks first... :)

bajacalal said:
Let me guess, you have a 90 model XJ. Have you noticed that about 88-93 model ANYTHING built in the U.S. has this problem? Things built overseas, after or before have held up pretty good, thats my observation. I have been told by serveral people that around that time, the EPA changed the rules affecting paints due to toxicity and it took the chemical companies 5 years to come up with something durable. Don't have any good sources on that but it makes sense to me.
I was once told it was the primer that the big three used during those years. It gassed or seeped something and that caused the clearcoat to peel. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time.

87manche said:
I was once told it was the primer that the big three used during those years. It gassed or seeped something and that caused the clearcoat to peel.

Something like that, I wasn't paying much attention at the time either. But I thought that it had to do with the EPA saying they had to change the ingredients and it took them time to catch up.

I live in the "foriegn" car capital of the U.S. I have noticed this problem in cars built in the U.S., by big 3 and other companies like Honda in their Ohio plant from around this era. I see German, Japanese and American (older) cars with better paint. This makes sense to me that it was related to U.S. government polices.

Otto: if you get a good multi-coat paint job from a reputable shop and let everything cure properly it should be fine. Be sure they use a quality paint like Sherwin Williams.

Not anywhere near the highest of those posting here but my '87 4.0 has 210K on the clock and doesn't take oil between changes. Probably 99% of the stuff under the hood is the same stuff AMC put in when they built it, did change a TPS with one from a junkyard a year or so ago and changed out the original AMC plug wires a couple months ago. Bought it well used so it's probably had a TPS changed before.

Runs smooth and quiet and I don't know what the compression is, or that it really matters since it's not like you could adjust it or anything - there's just nothing going on that calls to taking the time to :repair: check it.

The muffler and CAT are starting to open up, I can tell by the tone :passgas: and the fact that RPM for peak torque is creeping up (put another way, it is losing some low end).

D44 :yelclap: in the rear is looking good, the front axle oozes here and there.

And the Peugeot tranny :puke: ? It's quiet but the synchros are shot and it leaks oil like a sieve. I'll probably be needing to slide in an AX-15 or wedge in a New Venture sometime soon because I want to tow a camping trailer. We're getting too old & worn out to do the tent thing and it's already rigged up with a nice Draw-Tite full sized receiver.

Clutch and that stupid internal slave were brand new when I bought it, as was the radiator - original surge tank style but there's nothing wrong with surge tanks per se and mine isn't broken.

Body tight, no leaks, no dents, no rust. Clear coat is coming off the hood & roof and I haven't decided whether to try and fix that or do a full repaint in low gloss black or CAMO :dunno:

But I digress. The theme here seems to be the 4.0 has impressive (at least among us :worship: ) longevity and it's a wonderful powerplant behind which we can place any number of cheap and easy upgrades and enjoy countless miles of fun :party: .

95 H.O. 221,000 miles. gunky oil buildup in teh rocker arm cover, but I'm using some oil detergent to try and clean it up a bit. Runs strong still. No smoking or leaking that I know of.

'91 2-dr 4.0 aw4 np231 d30/8.25

I'm not sure who owned it before me, but I believe it's the original engine as the previous owner didn't mention anything about rebuilding it. 187k with an unidentifiable knock/rattle at idle. Still pulls like a bat out of hell once i hit 3000 rpm so I'm not too worried...yet.

90xj 4.0 Auto
I changed the oil today at 314,027k on the engine, and everything else. Bought it at 270,000 ish ,so far only minor probs like a intake/exhaust gasket, valve cover gasket, starter, and tires. Good compression, torque and all around performance. I just change the fluids regular and it drives great, will be getting 3"lift soon and some 31" BFG mud terrains.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back