• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which would you build? 89xj or 02wj

zachandandy

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
May be able to score the wj for next to nothing. Already own and wheel the xj. The xj is up there in years, and has a ton of miles on her, most being hard wheeling miles over the last 3 years. Either jeep will end up 3 linked in the front, on a ford hp44 full width with Yukon shafts(currently re radius arm in the xj). Xj would stick with the leaves and the wj would run an upper a arm similar to stock but beefier. Rear axle is a dana 60. I love the comfort of the wife's wj, and it would be nice to build a rougher version of it. Xj still needs frame plating, 2x6 rockers, different shackle mount, etc. So what would you do?

That's why I'm considering the wj. 13 years newer, owned by the lady across the street since new, full maintanence records. Front axle has a bad bearing which doesn't affect my build plans.

Id build the WJ if I had the chance . Comfort, newer, wider, longer, linked rear, 4.7 v8 . Ive always wanted to build a WJ and maybe someday will...

This may be a 4.0L wj, haven't taken a good look at it yet. I've definately had some ideas that were a bit extreme for the wifes liking, but I think I could build a hardcore trail rig while maintaining the luxury. I guess we will see how low I can talk the neigbors down on it.

Won't be running 40's any time soon. Hoping the new Yukon shafts hold up to the 35's. if there is any chance you will run larger than 35's I say buy a 60 from the beginning, it will be cheaper in the long run. I dumped money into the 30, gears, locker, shafts. Found the hp44 cheap after blowing up the ring and pinion in the 30. Broke a shaft on the second trip out, dropped $600 on some new shafts, time will tell.

14bFF and hp60 or a front 14bb center section with 60 outers. might as well . Im just saying.

I would go wj, for comfort reasons

well in that case,if money is an issue, instead of buying a Wj , take that money, build some one tons for the XJ ? 1100$ to rear 14bbFF, and say 3000$ into a front 60, im sure the WJ is roughly 4k. why have 3 medicore built rigs when you can really get into yours? also , youll be able to re coup alot of costs by selling your current axles as well.

I'll be trading some electrical work plus about $1k out of pocket for the wj. It does have 150k miles on it and needs a new pinion bearing. I'll sell the wj knuckles and brakes to someone wanting to pimp out a dana 30, and be into the wj about $600. What cracks me up is the guy rocking a dana 30 called my jeep mediocre:dunno:

Re: Re: Which would you build? 89xj or 02wj

I'll be trading some electrical work plus about $1k out of pocket for the wj. It does have 150k miles on it and needs a new pinion bearing. I'll sell the wj knuckles and brakes to someone wanting to pimp out a dana 30, and be into the wj about $600. What cracks me up is the guy rocking a dana 30 called my jeep mediocre:dunno:

How much for the knuckles and brakes?
And if the bushings are good. I'll take the lower control arms as well

Back