• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which tire (Goodyear MT/R, Toyo M/T, Baja Claw, Xterrain) - have you run them?

I had 33'' MTR and loved them all around.
I just got a pair of 35'' BFG MT's and love them too.
Both ride good on road and get great mileage as well as rip through most any terrain. Def. get them siped if you run them as a DD and in the rain.

I have TrXus right now and they're great..
anywho, I've heard that Goodyears tend to wear out unevenly? Was told that he had to rotate more often than usual

I'd have to recommend the Maxxis Bighorn's also like someone did previously in the thread. It's the next tire I plan on buying. Everyone that I have seen running it loves them.

ive had the mtr's, trxus mt, and the claws and am now running the 33 in toyo m/t's. they are by far my favorite. excellent traction in dirt, rocks, mud, rain, and street. they ride smooth and are quiter than the others. just my .02

one that no one has mentioned, i have 35" Kumho MT and siped they are great in the snow and haven't added to wearing early.

And another no one has mentioned is the Cooper Discoverer STT. My ThumperXJ is sitting on 31x10.50s now, and theyve been through the rocks, dirt, sand, California slickery mud and slickeryer farmud, wet roads, and a bit of snow with comfort and confidence. I can definently tell you that these give you alot of bang for yer buck. Ride quiet, wear even, and Ive yet to even have to air em down for anything. Ive had em on since the middle of last year, and theyre still goin strong. Very nice tires, worth lookin at at least, and personally Ill have another set when the time comes, thanks.

Thumpersdriver said:
And another no one has mentioned is the Cooper Discoverer STT. My ThumperXJ is sitting on 31x10.50s now, and theyve been through the rocks, dirt, sand, California slickery mud and slickeryer farmud, wet roads, and a bit of snow with comfort and confidence. I can definently tell you that these give you alot of bang for yer buck. Ride quiet, wear even, and Ive yet to even have to air em down for anything. Ive had em on since the middle of last year, and theyre still goin strong. Very nice tires, worth lookin at at least, and personally Ill have another set when the time comes, thanks.
Great tire for the money IMHO! I run them and so do others on this board.

have you considered the kumho's as well? I have a set that i have been extremely happy with
I live in western new york and my family is from northern ontario. I know winter and snow well. The road venture M/t's that i have are studdable, but they behaved so nicey in the snow last winter that i never put the high tech short carbide studs in. they are one of the few tires approved for emergency vehicles in ontario for the winter time. I can tell you that they definitly live up to that designation.

I actually bought them because they were cheap. tire rack had the 31x10.50's for 88 bucks. all five shipped to my door were less than five hundred bucks. I used to go through a lot of tires due to sidewall cuts and punctures. I have had these since last july. I would like to tell you that that is because my driving has improved but my buddies will probably tell you otherwise. the sidewalls on these are tough. so tough that one of my buddies when he completely used up his mtrs on the rubi, bought a set of these just because he wanted the sidewall. they they do well in mud and pretty fantastic in all around use and pretty good on rocks such as we find here.

caveats:
i drive less than 8000 mile a year. these still look new but they have only 8200 miles on them. my buddy with the rubi does 30k a year. his are about 60 percent with 25k on them. he is also not as freakish about maintaining proper pressure in them.

they are not quiet. quieter than the mtr's, but definitely not quiet. on the street i run them at 42 psi. that helps.

airing down. remember the sidewalls? whatever you would normally air down to, go 5psi further. I run these at 9 psi off road. I have yet to blow a bead but i do carry a fullsize fifth, and co2.

yeah, I run my kumhos at about 10 psi, only thing that i ran lower were my tsls at 8 psi.

Back