• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which SYE is better/prefered

Which is a better SYE?

• Total voters

guther66

NAXJA Forum User
I have a np 242 t-case, and I need a SYE in order to lift it above four inches. My only options right now is to replace it with a np 231 or drill and tap it. I've come across a good deal for a np 231, but before I decide what to do, I would like to know y'all's opinion on which is a better SYE.

I can not think of any reason a Hack and Tap would be better. If you consider cheaper to be better you have more problems then your TC shaft.

Now that said, lots of people are very happy with their H&Ts and have tons of trips and miles put on them. They are not bad, just not as good as say an AA sye kit.

You asked which is better...you got it.

-Scott

I have the same issues...a 242 looking for an SYE. I think there are significant drawbacks to going with the 231 though...loss of full-time four wheel drive. The 242 is a solid transfer case...doesn't somebody make an SYE for it? I want to keep mine, yet still want to get rid of the minor vibes that resulted with a 3" lift.

I have been researching this for weeks now. I have finally settled on the AA shaft because it is definately heavier and that is what it is all about. I have seen too many post complaining about hack and tap and loose parts to even think about one of them. YOu want the best----Advanced Adaptors shaft!!

I believe MIT has a SYE conversion with shaft, I have been looking at it. And a new shaft. After my Hack and tap start to vibrate. There was way too much slop in the flange and the output shaft of the 242 for my liking. Got a new one from RE and then got my CV rebuilt, trust me on this one, just go buy a new shaft. It cost me $180 for just a ball kit and two u-joints around the CV plus labor, should have brought the vasaline on that one. Plus you can't get a geaseable centering joint for a flange style CV, not happy at this point. SO I put the shaft in and I do have some vibes from the rear axle pinion about 4 degrees too low since I put new springs in, but new shims are going in tonight. Anyways, driving to work got the pinion vibe, by now I can tell the difference between pinion and CV vibes, ask me how, but also got what sounded like a worn CV joint, kinda a low snapping noise. So while I am under the jeep tonight going to check that out. Now I am really not happy.

So, moral of the story is, if I had to do over again I would go with the MIT SYE kit, its actually shorter than the RE hack and tap and using a yoke style CV which you can get geaseable centering joints for.

Now I am going to get off my soap box and go back to work

Talyn said:
I have the kit Tom Wood sells. Kit is good, but I would stay from his driveshafts.
-Chris

Kit is alright but the instructions suck. One thing to note however is that his kit is nother more than a hack'n'tap with a pre-hacked shaft. Something like the AA SYE which completely replaces the speedo housing is likely a stronger choice.

In any case, watch that oil pump...I'd like to blame the instructions but it was likely my own stupidity that broke it. Oil pumps break into dozens of peices :)

According to your profile, you have a 95. Some people have issues with pre-97's and vibes, but the majority do not. It is most prevalent with post 97's. I would suggest that you try the lift first and check for vibes then plunk down the cash for a SYE/driveshaft if necessary.

I'm currently sitting at 6" in the rear w/o vibes on a 92 4.0/AW4/NP242/8.8
(I did adjust the pinion angle when I welded the spring mounts though)

When I was at 4.5/32's vibes were non-existent....

Hope this helps

John

I'm with GI John.. put it up and see what happens. Mine (91) got light vibes after it went up... installed a YJ slip yoke and life is good.

Didn't I see an article recently about T&J Performance, in SoCal?, having SYE kits for the 242? with a replacement shaft?

On the earlier XJ, I believe that if you have the 8.25 rear-end, you will probably need a transfer case drop at a minimum or an SYE.

It has a lower pinion and is more susceptable to vibes.

bburge

bburge said:
On the earlier XJ, I believe that if you have the 8.25 rear-end, you will probably need a transfer case drop at a minimum or an SYE.

It has a lower pinion and is more susceptable to vibes.

bburge

yes and vibes are bad on a 8.25. now after tracking down my vibes at the 242 T/C, now I have to replace the R&P and bearings

Tellin' you, driveshaft and R&P shops around here are about as scarce as a sensible John Kerry statement.

Last edited:
i have a 91 and i was at ~4" lift with no vibes. however when i was having the gearing/lockers done i discovered that the rear u-joint would bind when both wheels were hanging down. not a huge problem in the rocks where one side is usually touching but disaster coming over a whoop or bump where you might unload the suspension. i put in the tom woods sye in my 242. did the job with the t-case still in the frame. price was good as it came with the drive shaft. not sure what talyn has heard/experienced about woods drive shafts. i have not had issues with mine (yet , lol) and it has been dragged and beat up pretty well in moab and the rubicon ,among other places,with no problems. if you do a sye as everyone says. "be careful of that oil pump"

Back