• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which political party are you?

Which?

• Total voters
sjd78 said:
Sarcasm??? It didnt even make any sense?
Yes it did?
Trail-Axe said:
I do not claim any one Bible believing church as "my church." But I do attend a place of worship, and I still read the Bible.
I like that. Kudos. I, personally, am against organized religion as a whole. Sure it's done some good, but getting that many people together who are so willing to follow an unseen force and be easily influenced by one person worries me. I don't have a problem with faith, just religious push whether it be on an individual or a nation.

Starscream said:
Yes it did?
Nope, sure didnt! And I thought this was a pole on what political party you chose to vote for and why, not a religion bashing party??? "Hey guys I got an idea lets tell everyone over and over how I hate religion" (That was sarcasm, take notes) You havent done much but share your disbelief about religion, we get it already! What are you the Anti Christ or something?

Last edited:
sjd78 said:
Nope, sure didnt! And I thought this was a pole on what political party you chose to vote for and why, not a religion bashing party??? "Hey guys I got an idea lets tell everyone over and over how I hate religion" (That was sarcasm, take notes) You havent done much but share your disbelief about religion, we get it already! What are you the Anti Christ or something?
As it so happens, I am the Anti-christ! Good lawd look at the observation skills on this one. Psh. Oh, and I hope I lived up to your sarcasm standards on that one. And point out where I bashed religion. Point out where I said I hate God. Please, please, pretty please point out where I rubbed it in YOUR face. OH! I didn't. Ha. My bad. This is a political debate (again, good eye) which just happened to touch on the topic of religion in politics. See that? In POLITICS.

Gah.

AkhfkasbhfahbsfjkNJKNsfkjbansgf! That's aboot as belligerent as I can get here. I wish this was in the den.

As a Canadian and Liberal my political views and opinions far differ from the Republicans of the USA.

I respectfully disagree with the Bush Administration and its policies. I was happy to see our Government not sending our troops into the "war on terror" as it was labeled by some.

I fully support our Socialized National Health Care (100% Gov't Control) I was happy to see our definition of marriage changed to include same sex couples, while respecting the religious rights of the Church. I am also happy to see that our hate crime laws are up to today's standards. Rev. Phelps sp? Would be in jail in our country if he pulled any of his stunts here in Canada.

Canada is small 32 million people, however we are the world's second largest Country, our budget is 1 Trillion Dollars, and our economy is doing outstandingly well. Our Largest Trading Partner is you guys (USA) at over a Billion Dollars in Trade going over the boarders between us two.

Is our Country perfect - hell no. The best part of being Canadian is that we embrace change, not get thrusted by it (A statement by the Late Roger B. Smith) but it accurately describes us to a tee!

Jeff

G.Q. Jeeper said:
I was happy to see our Government not sending our troops into the "war on terror" as it was labeled by some.
The lamb who does not acknowledge the wolf for what he is and take precautions will find himself on his dinnertable!

G.Q. Jeeper,

Good to get some input from our friends up north.
Maybe you can clear up a few questions I have.

The one thing we in the states hear about regarding your Socialized National Health Care System, is long waiting periods, and the lower quality of health care in comparison to our system.

The other question that I have is what percent do most Canadians pay in income taxes?

jeeperjohn said:
The lamb who does not acknowledge the wolf for what he is and take precautions will find himself on his dinnertable!

Good thing that little lamb lives next door to a very formidable Sheep Dog. :patriot:

Trail-Axe said:
Good thing that little lamb lives next door to a very formidable Sheep Dog. :patriot:

We're still talking about our neighbors to the north, right?:thumbup:

Russ Pottenger said:
G.Q. Jeeper,

Good to get some input from our friends up north.
Maybe you can clear up a few questions I have.

The one thing we in the states hear about regarding your Socialized National Health Care System, is long waiting periods, and the lower quality of health care in comparison to our system.

The other question that I have is what percent do most Canadians pay in income taxes?

Okay fair questions:

If you see a doctor for non emergency situations it could take anywhere between same day to 7 days for an appointment, all you need is to show your heath card (mine is the NWT Health Care Plan) and thats it.

For Hospital Emergencies you are assesd by a Triage Nurse and your placed based on your emergency (ie: a cop that has a black eye will wait before a elderly man with a heart condition) None with a Emergency is put on hold, they will fly or transport to the nearest Hospital as the emergency esclates. You are placed in line in order regardless of your stature in society or the amount of money in your bank. The Doctor determins whats needed and thats the only word that counts in our system, no insurance companies to call and get approval for services needed. All services are prepaid and there are no limits placed on individuals seeking any treatment.

This goes for other non emergency proceedures as well, some may wait more in different provinces, however the quality of care is basically the same. Our Government is working on legislation to make wait times for non emergencies quicker and more efficient.

Price? Well I will share you my pay and take home and see how it stacks up to yours:

Basic Pay $ 18.00/hr.

I had worked 97 hours in the past 2 weeks with 10 of that being Overtime ( 10 hours now at $27.00/hr)

Total Pay (Gross) $1,848.60

Deductions:

Federal Tax = -$307.12
Territory Tax (its like your state Gov't) = -$36.97
CPP (Our Fed Pension Plan ) = -$84.29
UIC (employment insurance) = -$33.27

Total Pay = $1,386.95

Hope this helps you out when comparing a publicly funded system Vs a Private one. I am very happy with my gov't run health care and would not have it any other way to be honest.

Jeff

G.Q. Jeeper said:
Okay fair questions:

If you see a doctor for non emergency situations it could take anywhere between same day to 7 days for an appointment, all you need is to show your heath card (mine is the NWT Health Care Plan) and thats it.

For Hospital Emergencies you are assesd by a Triage Nurse and your placed based on your emergency (ie: a cop that has a black eye will wait before a elderly man with a heart condition) None with a Emergency is put on hold, they will fly or transport to the nearest Hospital as the emergency esclates. You are placed in line in order regardless of your stature in society or the amount of money in your bank. The Doctor determins whats needed and thats the only word that counts in our system, no insurance companies to call and get approval for services needed. All services are prepaid and there are no limits placed on individuals seeking any treatment.

This goes for other non emergency proceedures as well, some may wait more in different provinces, however the quality of care is basically the same. Our Government is working on legislation to make wait times for non emergencies quicker and more efficient.

Price? Well I will share you my pay and take home and see how it stacks up to yours:

Basic Pay $ 18.00/hr.

I had worked 97 hours in the past 2 weeks with 10 of that being Overtime ( 10 hours now at $27.00/hr)

Total Pay (Gross) $1,848.60

Deductions:

Federal Tax = -$307.12
Territory Tax (its like your state Gov't) = -$36.97
CPP (Our Fed Pension Plan ) = -$84.29
UIC (employment insurance) = -$33.27

Total Pay = $1,386.95

Hope this helps you out when comparing a publicly funded system Vs a Private one. I am very happy with my gov't run health care and would not have it any other way to be honest.

Jeff
I'm glad you are happy with your system. I would be open to the idea if the quality of care were comparable to what I have now. I would like to see our government do away with all income taxes and use a tax system based on consumption. You use more resources IE: gasoline, you pay more tax. Our system has taxed us to greater than
50% of our pay. We are like frogs in a cookpot here, as long as the temperature doesn't shoot up too quickly here, people are content to let the government just have their way with us. Prior to WWI there was no income tax in the US. The tax during WWI was 1%. Now our taxes are as high as 37%. I wouldn't have such a problem with paying taxes if I didn't see our government throwing our tax money away by giving to other countries and paying for research that does not significantly benefit the majority of our society. If we were to start some kind of national health plan here the gawdamn bastard politicians would use that as a reason to jack our taxes up even more.:soapbox:

jeeperjohn said:
I'm glad you are happy with your system. I would be open to the idea if the quality of care were comparable to what I have now. I would like to see our government do away with all income taxes and use a tax system based on consumption. You use more resources IE: gasoline, you pay more tax. Our system has taxed us to greater than 50% of our pay. We are like frogs in a cookpot here, as long as the temperature doesn't shoot up too quickly here, people are content to let the government just have their way with us. Prior to WWI there was no income tax in the US. The tax during WWI was 1%. Now our taxes are as high as 37%. I wouldn't have such a problem with paying taxes if I didn't see our government throwing our tax money away by giving to other countries and paying for research that does not significantly benefit the majority of our society. If we were to start some kind of national health plan here the politicians would use that as a reason to jack our taxes up even more.
:soapbox:

Well said!

I just ran across this recently revived old thread, and read it all. As for my political position, I must go with the "Southern Republican" thing....which by the way, I thouroughly enjoyed 8MUD's question test.

I definately am taken by 5-90ism...I have come to realize that Jon and I not only share a a great deal of similar opinions and at times share the tendency for excessive verbocity, but like he says it takes the guesswork out of understanding what we are trying to say.

The other thing is earlier in this thread on page three, TRNDVR stated that he was glad he didn't pay social security. Jon (5-90) asked how, and got no answer. My guess is unless TRNDVR (a wild ass guess is his nic means train driver) is living under the radar, or railroad employees are in some way exempt....the only other answer that I know of (and I certainly don't know everything) is that he may be a "sovereign citizen".

Starscream said:
As it so happens, I am the Anti-christ! Good lawd look at the observation skills on this one. Psh. Oh, and I hope I lived up to your sarcasm standards on that one. And point out where I bashed religion. Point out where I said I hate God. Please, please, pretty please point out where I rubbed it in YOUR face. OH! I didn't. Ha. My bad. This is a political debate (again, good eye) which just happened to touch on the topic of religion in politics. See that? In POLITICS.

Gah.

AkhfkasbhfahbsfjkNJKNsfkjbansgf! That's aboot as belligerent as I can get here. I wish this was in the den.

I dont need to point out where you have bashed religion because that is about all you have done. I never said you "hated God" I said you have made your point that you "hate religion" And l NEVER said you rubbed it in my face. Can you not read at all? Your post was just below mine and yet you cant even seem to comprehend what you read. Yes this is a political debate on "Which political party are you" I guess that must put you in the " I dont like religion" or maybe " Religion Bashing" party huh??? And yes it did "TOUCH" on religion in politics and you made your point over and over how you felt. Move on!

MudDawg said:
The other thing is earlier in this thread on page three, TRNDVR stated that he was glad he didn't pay social security. Jon (5-90) asked how, and got no answer. My guess is unless TRNDVR (a wild ass guess is his nic means train driver) is living under the radar, or railroad employees are in some way exempt....the only other answer that I know of (and I certainly don't know everything) is that he may be a "sovereign citizen".

If he works for the railroad, the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) would be the ones that will be paying his retirement benefits, and not the SSA. RRB was established around the same time as the SSA, and serves a similar function, but only to railroad workers. http://www.rrb.gov/opa/agency_overview.asp

There are many other groups of people that do not pay social security tax because they are covered by a Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). IE: Firemen, Policemen, DMV, ETC… http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/about/home.xml

Trail-Axe said:
If he works for the railroad, the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) would be the ones that will be paying his retirement benefits, and not the SSA. RRB was established around the same time as the SSA, and serves a similar function, but only to railroad workers. http://www.rrb.gov/opa/agency_overview.asp

There are many other groups of people that do not pay social security tax because they are covered by a Public Employee Retirement System (PERS). IE: Firemen, Policemen, DMV, ETC… http://www.calpers.ca.gov/index.jsp?bc=/about/home.xml
I am under PERS but I pay social security taxes because I am not a peace officer. It's almost too bad because all that money I payed in will have long since been payed to some illegal alien and the gubment will have no more money for me by the time I retire.:smsoap:

G.Q.-
Good post, I'm not a liberal per se, but I definitely agree with you on the "war on terror".

I abhor Bush after supporting him in the beginning and opening my eyes. The war on terror is an overblown operation. There will always be terrorists, there is no "winning" as in a war against a country. All it's done is curtail the Constitution and put the citizenry in a constant state of fear. Real ID, North American Union, police state surveillance using the NSA on down...what happened to our country?

How many of you will be in line to be "chipped" with a Verichip for the greater good and "security"?

P.S.-- TIM HORTON's RULES!!!

G.Q. Jeeper said:
As a Canadian and Liberal my political views and opinions far differ from the Republicans of the USA.

I respectfully disagree with the Bush Administration and its policies. I was happy to see our Government not sending our troops into the "war on terror" as it was labeled by some.

I fully support our Socialized National Health Care (100% Gov't Control) I was happy to see our definition of marriage changed to include same sex couples, while respecting the religious rights of the Church. I am also happy to see that our hate crime laws are up to today's standards. Rev. Phelps sp? Would be in jail in our country if he pulled any of his stunts here in Canada.

Canada is small 32 million people, however we are the world's second largest Country, our budget is 1 Trillion Dollars, and our economy is doing outstandingly well. Our Largest Trading Partner is you guys (USA) at over a Billion Dollars in Trade going over the boarders between us two.

Is our Country perfect - hell no. The best part of being Canadian is that we embrace change, not get thrusted by it (A statement by the Late Roger B. Smith) but it accurately describes us to a tee!

Jeff

IndyXJ said:
G.Q.-
Good post, I'm not a liberal per se, but I definitely agree with you on the "war on terror".

I abhor Bush after supporting him in the beginning and opening my eyes. The war on terror is an overblown operation. There will always be terrorists, there is no "winning" as in a war against a country. All it's done is curtail the Constitution and put the citizenry in a constant state of fear. Real ID, North American Union, police state surveillance using the NSA on down...what happened to our country?

How many of you will be in line to be "chipped" with a Verichip for the greater good and "security"?

P.S.-- TIM HORTON's RULES!!!
Your concerns are certainly valid but think about this:
The Islamic terrorists cannot be reasoned with, the only way to stay ahead of them is to fight them. We must use any means necessary to find out about their plots and interrupt them before they can pull them off. Hundreds of attacks have been prevented this way. Why haven't you heard about them? Because you don't have "a need to know" as it is put in the intel community. You have no idea how many attacks were stopped because of listening to phone conversations etc.

The war on terror is the single biggest national defense effort ever, it's just kept under wraps for the most part because in the information age it is too easy for the terrorists to get info about us and our defenses. The press should be suppressed when they start knowingly printing information the terrorists can use against us. The press people who identified Valery Plame should be brought up on charges of treason!

As Bush (I am not happy with him either) said, we must take the war to the enemy to keep it off American soil. The decision to attack Iraq was at best piss poorly timed, we should have put all our efforts into Afghanistan and Pakistan first. We had every right to attack Iraq but we should have waited until we dismantled Al Qaeda first. The Iraqis were training terrorists who aimed to attack the US but not even close to as many as those in Afghanistan and Pakistan and Syria etc. etc. etc.
It sounds really heart warming to say we shouldn't kill the radical islamists but the fact is that if we don't kill them first, they will kill innocent Americans and other westerners in the greatest numbers they can.
Either we stop this shit now, while they are not well organized, at a big cost in dollars and at a comparably small cost in lives, or we do it in the future at a astronomical cost in dollars and lives.

jeeperjohn said:
Your concerns are certainly valid but think about this:
The Islamic terrorists cannot be reasoned with, the only way to stay ahead of them is to fight them. We must use any means necessary to find out about their plots and interrupt them before they can pull them off. Hundreds of attacks have been prevented this way. Why haven't you heard about them? Because you don't have "a need to know" as it is put in the intel community. You have no idea how many attacks were stopped because of listening to phone conversations etc.

The war on terror is the single biggest national defense effort ever, it's just kept under wraps for the most part because in the information age it is too easy for the terrorists to get info about us and our defenses. The press should be suppressed when they start knowingly printing information the terrorists can use against us. The press people who identified Valery Plame should be brought up on charges of treason!

As Bush (I am not happy with him either) said, we must take the war to the enemy to keep it off American soil. The decision to attack Iraq was at best piss poorly timed, we should have put all our efforts into Afghanistan and Pakistan first. We had every right to attack Iraq but we should have waited until we dismantled Al Qaeda first. The Iraqis were training terrorists who aimed to attack the US but not even close to as many as those in Afghanistan and Pakistan and Syria etc. etc. etc.
It sounds really heart warming to say we shouldn't kill the radical islamists but the fact is that if we don't kill them first, they will kill innocent Americans and other westerners in the greatest numbers they can.
Either we stop this shit now, while they are not well organized, at a big cost in dollars and at a comparably small cost in lives, or we do it in the future at a astronomical cost in dollars and lives.

:cheers:

X-3 John

While our country has made many mistakes, and is far from perfect.
There is, and never has been a country on this planet that has given more charity to other people, and nations. To use it's Military power to keep its citizens free and safe, and allowing others throughout the world to have the same opportunities.

Back