• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which leaf springs do you like

It'll still be stiff. I got their springs, relocation brackets, and a good angle. I still had to remove one of the bottom leaves to soften the damn things up. I guess they expect everyone to have a tire carrier and 900 lbs of gear in the back.

Oh, if you guys were talking about Clayton's springs, yes they got new springs instead of removing a leaf. Seems that removing a leaf puts too much stress on the leaf above the one that was removed and causes it to sag so they remedied the situation by getting full 4.5" leaf packs instead of removing a leaf.

Good info, Ill probably have to coin up on the claytons then. Glad to hear details on the exact setup I figured would end up working. I just @$$umed that most the RC complaints still had stock shackle and location.

if you arent spending the coin on deavers, nationals, alcans, or anything fancy the next step down before getting into the real cheap stuff would be clayton. custom made in canada for clayton, military wrapped eyes, 7 leafs in the pack, quality pressed in sleeved bushings. they ride just fine.

i have run re 4.5's, re 3.5's, and rockkrawler 4.5's and they all sucked. none of them could keep thier height for more than a few months and they all had some pretty intense axle wrap and i broke some u-joints and yokes because of it.

I'm pretty sure Betts makes clayton's springs for them

they are the new china/india version. i got mine about 3 years ago, which is about when they started going down the poop chute

if you arent spending the coin on deavers, nationals, alcans, or anything fancy the next step down before getting into the real cheap stuff would be clayton. custom made in canada for clayton, military wrapped eyes, 7 leafs in the pack, quality pressed in sleeved bushings. they ride just fine.

i have run re 4.5's, re 3.5's, and rockkrawler 4.5's and they all sucked. none of them could keep thier height for more than a few months and they all had some pretty intense axle wrap and i broke some u-joints and yokes because of it.

Do we have any input from folks who have run the claytons?

Any packs out there for 3 in lift?

If I only want 3 in what should I do?

As soon as I sell my honda, leaf packs lca's and nice rotors are going on my rig! :)

Any packs out there for 3 in lift?

If I only want 3 in what should I do?

As soon as I sell my honda, leaf packs lca's and nice rotors are going on my rig! :)

Old Man Emu. You got a few options to choose from regarding spring rate and height. They are nice.

i carry heavy loads a few times a year and i am going to be getting something from deaver or national. national is ten minutes away from me so im leaning that way

Go for it and don't look back. I went with the National 10 leaf pack years ago, and the same set has served me perfectly ever since. Like any of the good parts, they aren't cheap(and they've gone up $$). But they're worth every penny.
They ride great on the street, flex in the rocks and handle high speed desert just fine. Hammering the gas in deep sand, they just hook and go. I've seen the cheapo RE leaves destroyed in one run at Superstition in the same situation.
Quality parts = peace of mind. Not to mention you'll never have to read a leaf spring thread again, haha.

yeah i need to just do it as soon as i can. im scared to wheel with my leafs the way they are now. and desert season is coming here in a few months and i carry my bike and gas on a hitch carrier.

how much lift are your leafs? what specs did you ask for or what did you tell them about how you use your jeep?

Last edited:
i like my ome springs. I run the medium duty springs with a 1 inch shackle and hd engineering relocation brackets. gets me about 4.5 inches in the rear. maybe a hair more. I might put in an add a leaf from ome and go to a shorter shackle tho.

how much lift are your leafs? what specs did you ask for or what did you tell them about how you use your jeep?

National already had the specs for the XJ when I bought mine, I believe it was spec'd by ORGS back in the day. Initially with a JKS shackle they sat at 6.5", then settled after a break-in period to match the RE 4.5 ZJ coils at around 5.5 - 6".

Back