• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which GPS

fxdlrider

NAXJA Forum User
What GPS are you guys using and how do you like it. I'm planning a trip to CO this summer and I am thinking about purchasing a GPS. I'm pretty tech savy, but I'm not familiar with some of the gps jargon. I'm looking at the garmin etrex vista c. Anyone have any personal experience with this one?

Garmin eTrex Legend. Very happy with it, and went for a unit that could do dual-duty mounted in the Jeep as well as be taken out and carried around for geocaching, etc.

If you go for one of these, be sure to get the power and data cable and marine mount. Details of how I installed it semi-permanently can be found here.

Another vote for the V. The only down side of it is that it's not a color screen. Although, I'm sure that whatever you end up with will be outdated in 5 years...maybe less. That said, I love mine and use it all the time.

Question though...
If I figure out a good way to mount my Laptop in the vehicle, will that cable allow me to view the screen on the GPS on the PC monitor? I'm looking to start keeping track of all of my fishing spots this year and it would be easier through the PC plus it would be in color, larger and easier on the eyes, and allow me to enter data before I move to another location. Also...would an inverter be a good idea instead of running off the cigarette lighter? Sorry to hijack.

riverfever said:
Question though...
If I figure out a good way to mount my Laptop in the vehicle, will that cable allow me to view the screen on the GPS on the PC monitor? I'm looking to start keeping track of all of my fishing spots this year and it would be easier through the PC plus it would be in color, larger and easier on the eyes, and allow me to enter data before I move to another location. Also...would an inverter be a good idea instead of running off the cigarette lighter? Sorry to hijack.

Why don't you just get the Garmin laptop GPS found here-
http://www.garmin.com/products/gps18/

I'd like to do this but I have a huge laptop that doesn't fit anywhere but a table.

Also, you can use OziExplorer for your mapping software and real-time interaction with your GPS. Free download too.

fxdlrider said:
What GPS are you guys using and how do you like it. I'm planning a trip to CO this summer and I am thinking about purchasing a GPS. I'm pretty tech savy, but I'm not familiar with some of the gps jargon. I'm looking at the garmin etrex vista c. Anyone have any personal experience with this one?

Garmin makes a bunch of great units and their output is in the standard NEMA format which makes it more universal with other applications such as mapping software, computer capture, etc.

Most of the older units had inferior reception abailities compared to Magellin and others, however the new Garmin's are top-drawer. Look at the GPSMAP60x series, these will have the improved reception and faster (like nearly instant!!!) sattleite lockup. Word on the street is you don't need an external antenna where you would have before. Good for dense forest and urban canyons.

SCW said:

I'd like to do this but I have a huge laptop that doesn't fit anywhere but a table.

Also, you can use OziExplorer for your mapping software and real-time interaction with your GPS. Free download too.

Thats what I'm going to do. I've got an old beat laptop that has just enough power to run a gps. An old Toshiba Satellite. I'm going to get one of those wrist mounted runner's GPS for when I want to get out of the XJ and go look for a GeoCache. I figure use the laptop to get me close and the wrist mounted one to finish the job.

SCW said:

That is certainly an idea but 130 bones vs. 20ish for a cord and I might even have the cord already?

I have one of the Garmin etrax Legend and I can't get a signal when I'm in the jeep. The roof blocks the signal. I dont know if this happens with anyone else.

Otherwise I'm happy with it.

That system is pretty slick actually.

I'd have to check out the software and see if it has off-road stuff as well as water. It says it somes with a 12V adapter. Would this just run off the cig. lighter? Would I be better off with an inverter?

I've never had a problem picking up satelites in the vehicle. I do not have an external antennae either.

I've never used a Garmin but I like my Magellen explorist with the topo package.

I just wish they had the accessory line Garmin has (such as external antenna).

I average about 10ft of accuracy outside and about 20ft in the Jeep

Earthmate GPS LT-20 Receiver Software goes for 100 bucks at walmart. I have it but I use M$ street and trips 2005, do not I repeat do not use the software that comes with it, the maps are off and almost a mile off in some places from the GPS, but street and trips is dead on 95% of the time. I throw it up in the window and rarely ever loose a signal. I already have an old HP laptop so it was the ideal way to go.

I have an eTrex Legand. I'm starting to do the geocacheing thing a little bit. It does everything I want it to do. So far so good. No complaints. I really haven't used it a whole lot. I hope to find a few caches this spring. I do not have an external antenna and haven't had any trouble getting a signal in the Jeep.(except in extreamly heavy cover)
I went with the Legand over the Yellow eTrex because it had the base map and more memory.

I've got a Magellan Sport Trak Pro hooked up to a Panasonic Toughbook that rides behind the drivers seat. I run Oziexplorer software. Hooked up to a Lilliput screen mounted on the dashboard. Control it all with a trackball mouse velcroed to the console. Never had a problem getting a signal in the rig, works out real well for my applications.

Back