• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which FRS?

Warning: Nobody is responsible for what you do other than you. The radios and their uses are subject to regulations you should be familiar with so you don't go to FFMITA jail.

So the initial impressions of the UV-82 are promising.

e001a2ee469ce76647bae6a1dc0bd990.jpg

It's bigger than the UV-5r and feels better in my hand.

fb8f4ef00a23e79e46ec3ce8aa99c56f.jpg

It comes with all of the accessories, including a much better rubber antenna. It's not a Motorola, but it's pretty close.

6e8ee2c1b4977de59051fa0c1d95c5f0.jpg

It's got a 1500 mah battery so I imagine it will last as long or longer than the smaller radio. It has two power modes that you can set overall or for each channel, low (1 watt) and high (5 watt). You can also change it on the fly from the keyboard while you're using it.

d7c16f3ab934aab2a461fc3946f7028e.jpg

Runs the same software as the UV-5r and programs the same with chirp and a usb cable.

bf07be7d4a03d3248752c25132f82a02.jpg

The best part is finding out it has 127 channels vs 99 channels with the smaller radio. I fit all of the prepper channels on it as well as the off-road race channels that are floating around the net.

It monitors two channels at the same time so you can communicate to your trail group and still have a private conversation with your buddy on a separate channel.

Buttons are way nicer and it feels sturdier. If you have a spare $27, go right to Amazon and get yourself one for FRS and GMRS use.

Again, the FCC is the FCC. If you transmit where you're not supposed to, that's on you.
Have a question for you. I read your other post with the mag mount and antenna. Question is, is the antenna flexible enough not to break if it hits tree limbs and such. And do you need to tune these like a cb?

Have a question for you. I read your other post with the mag mount and antenna. Question is, is the antenna flexible enough not to break if it hits tree limbs and such. And do you need to tune these like a cb?

My mag mount flexes pretty good. If you hit something solid it just falls over and the guy behind you tells you it fell over.

There is some adjustability in the antenna, I assume for some sort of tuning purpose. I'm not a radio geek, so I couldn't tell you how to do that. For me it was plug it in and it worked well enough.

It's nothing like tuning a cb. You're not trying to improve your SWR ratio to get better performance. The bands that these radios transmit on are only limited by the power of the radio.

You're also not going to get the type of performance like you would out of a proper vehicle mounted 2m radio. These are handheld 5 watt radios. The biggest reason we've all switched to FRS is because they're easy to use and you can understand what people are saying when they talk to you. In a trail group, you don't need the power to talk to someone in New Zealand.

My mag mount flexes pretty good. If you hit something solid it just falls over and the guy behind you tells you it fell over.

There is some adjustability in the antenna, I assume for some sort of tuning purpose. I'm not a radio geek, so I couldn't tell you how to do that. For me it was plug it in and it worked well enough.

It's nothing like tuning a cb. You're not trying to improve your SWR ratio to get better performance. The bands that these radios transmit on are only limited by the power of the radio.

You're also not going to get the type of performance like you would out of a proper vehicle mounted 2m radio. These are handheld 5 watt radios. The biggest reason we've all switched to FRS is because they're easy to use and you can understand what people are saying when they talk to you. In a trail group, you don't need the power to talk to someone in New Zealand.
Cool. Thanks for the reply.

Technically? yes.

Practically? No.

Technically? yes.

Practically? No.
Kinda figured that. Was just wondering because I saw that they offered a meter, kinda like a swr meter.

Redheep, when you say all the accessories what does that include? (Charger, programming cable, etc) finding it difficult to decipher the Amazon description for it. TIA

Thanks

05dd4939cfe5db2e54391770ade0d2f0.jpg

Got my UV-82 today. I bought a few accessories with it also. The car adapter/battery replacement that is for the UV-5 doesn't work with the UV-82, despite what Amazon says.

dad's showed up today.

The battery is completely different than the 5r one.
it's a big step up from the 5r in terms of hardware.
CHIRP programmed it with no issues.

got my UV-82 yesterday. seems like a nice unit. hopefully someone (NATE) can program it for me....

There are programming times listed in the Winterfest itinerary where he can program your radio.

mac 'just for you' gyvr

^youll have a set of keys to the RV suite...so set up his personal programming time ;)

mac 'don't lose ma keys' gyvr

Back