• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which first, axle swap or higher lift?

W1zardofozz

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all, I have a '97 Jeep Cherokee Sport on 35's with a mostly custom lift and 4.10 gearing. I've put a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this thing and have even invented a few new swear words in the process. I know what all I want to do to my xj, but I've hit a wall for my next upgrade. I want to completely redo my suspension, and do a Ford 8.8 swap plus install a locker in the rear.

My thing is, I don't know which I should do first. On one hand I want the higher, long armed lift to give me better flex and ground clearance. But on the other I want a stronger axle and a locker for much better traction going up obstacles.

As it sits right now I have a 4.5" lift in the front that's sagging pretty bad to the driver side (a little over or under 1.5" of sag), and a 5.0" lift in the rear with a God awful shackle angle and Rusty's shocks all around. it's rough. Like if I hit a bump the wrong way I'll need to schedule an appointment with my chiropractor. However, it flexes pretty well for a small lift with 35" tires and that amount of sag.

The plan is to raise it to 6.5" using Clayton coils and IRO long arms in the front to bring my axle slightly forward and improve flex further. Along with that, I want 4.5" leaf springs in the rear with a shackle relocation, extended shackles, and spring perches to maximize flex in the rear. This will all be tied together with Fox racing 2.0 or Bilstein 5100 shocks

The plan for the axle swap is to buy a Ford 8.8 and install a locker, slip yoke elimination kit, and get better shafts to greatly increase strength and traction on places like The Daniel and Dickie Bell.

Backyard fun

08306f5624077ba0d11c9d4129699707.jpg

Poser Rock at Uwharrie (pre 35" tires)

709e17b6198bb833f1c6d1138a39cfa1.jpg

With my buddy (pre 35" tires)

026ba9db2fd29bc45b4454cc5ca56ddb.jpg

Only ten of these stickers were made in this color :)

de7315fc9d9c90b858ffa56b37e16d30.jpg

Glamour shot with my daily while I was doing front-end work on the jeep

5c41e10aeb257592062dd9199c58f5a0.jpg

I would do the swap and lift at the same time so that you can set the pinion properly.

honestly what is your end tire size? and what rear axle do you have? 97'+ 8.25 has 29 spline shafts and is plenty strong for 35" tires, no real need for a 8.8 unless youre going bigger. but if you had a d35 rear then a swap would be best.

Go Clayton Longarms don't waste your money on the IRO ones

Back