• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which engine block heater should I go with?

Re: block heater question...

There's a small drain plug on the lower drivers side of the block, behind the exhaust collectors

It's got a square drive, metric I think, people usually have to grind down a ratchet to get it out but you might be able to find the right tool. Hard to reach it.

It is a 10 mm square drive, same as Peugeot, Citroen, and some Volvos.

Most take an Allen and grind it to fit.

This is what I have used. A 5/16 inch size will also work. That plug is sealed in with a very hard sealer.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?store=snapon-store&item_ID=65769&group_ID=260

Will a heater plumbed into the water pump and the thermostat housing work? I think it will.
If the block heater/pump was to output into the 3/8" pipe into the water pump and draw from the hose that returns water after the cabin water heater element I see no reason why it will not work.

Tonight's edition of The Block Heater Chronicles...

To recap from last night's story, I have a 96 XJ and I'm installing the external tank type
heater seen here...

heatershotreduced.jpg

Unless anyone can suggest a better option (and please! I hope someone can!) I'll be pulling coolant
from the drain plug more toward the front of the motor shown here...

pullfrom.jpg

Because I can't see any other place to mount the tank my idea is to install it on the far left (driver) side of the
motor compartment here...

1-1.jpg

The green line indicates where I'll be routing the return line ...

2-1.jpg

And with the Y fitting I'll be inserting it into one of these hoses here...

3-1.jpg

So, my questions are...

1) Is there any better place to pull coolant from the motor? Its gonna be a hell of a tight squeeze getting a line in there.

2) Is where I'm talking about the best location to mount this heater? I would like for it to be mounted lower in the
whole circuit but there doesn't seem to be any better option.

3) Will it be ok to run the return hose attached to my electrical harness or should I try to keep those more separated?

4) And lastly, the last picture identifies 4 coolant hoses I could tie into for the return. Hoses 3 and 4 are between the valve
switch and the heater box so I doubt those would be the ones to use. Which of the last two, 1 or 2, should I install my return
hose into?

Thanks for your time!

Re: Tonight's edition of The Block Heater Chronicles...

why go through all that work for a heater that is known to have issues. I would go for a freeze plug type.....

I also have a tank type to install... We have used this type for years without problems. When we had to scrap the 89 Waggy, I made sure I pulled the heater for re-use. I use coldstart heaters. Have for the last 3 decades.

So, the reason I have not installed it is the very one you ask. Where to tap the block. should be the lowest point per the installation instructions.

why go through all that work for a heater that is known to have issues. I would go for a freeze plug type.....

I am not sure about the issues of which you speak. That type of heater is in use in just about all the stationary emergency equipment that I have seen;.. look at backup generators,...

My preference would be to take the water out from the thermostat housing and return it (hot) into the water pump. Adaptors (3/8" pipe to hose ??) and hoses may be needed to to get it to fit.

Thanks much for everybodys' replies and thoughts.

Austin, I've heard a number people say how much they really like this type of heater but as of yet I haven't heard of any complaints. What issues have you heard about being associated with this type heater? And do you think possibly they would be caused by misplacing the unit; by not being low enough in the circuit I mean.

Thanks much for everybodys' replies and thoughts.

Austin, I've heard a number people say how much they really like this type of heater but as of yet I haven't heard of any complaints. What issues have you heard about being associated with this type heater? And do you think possibly they would be caused by misplacing the unit; by not being low enough in the circuit I mean.
I've had a few vehicles over the years with tank heaters, and they worked very well when properly installed, and I don't recall that it was all that critical as long as the circulation pattern itself was correct. I think your block connection is in the right place, but I don't know which heater hose it should use. Last time I did this there were instructions, but I don't remember what they said. But I think you'd do better if at all possible to find a place on the passenger side for yours, so that you can minimize the hose runs, not only for better circulation but also for fewer places to rupture and leak. You don't really have to bracket the heater to the body. You could probably even just take strong tape or wire ties and hitch a ride on those AC hoses.

One distinct advantage of tank heaters is that if they go wrong you can either replace just the unit, or bypass it, without affecting your engine.

Back