• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which brand/grade oil and which brand filter?

Just a questions as the why Fram filters are bad. I have ran them in my MJ with 270K for years. If some of the smarter than me guys use Wix I'll switch. Just curious though. I run Valvoline 5w-30, it is what the book recommends for the temps in Iceland.

will

wil4thril said:
Just a questions as the why Fram filters are bad. I have ran them in my MJ with 270K for years. If some of the smarter than me guys use Wix I'll switch. Just curious though. I run Valvoline 5w-30, it is what the book recommends for the temps in Iceland.

will

Some good reading...

BTW...where in Iceland do you live? I lived in Keflavik for 3 years. (79-82)

Wow....good info thanks!!! At least I always ran the TG series so I don't feel to stupid...ahhaah. I am in Kef also....it has probably changed a lot since you were here. I still love Iceland though and I bet you know why....

will

wil4thril said:
Wow....good info thanks!!! At least I always ran the TG series so I don't feel to stupid...ahhaah. I am in Kef also....it has probably changed a lot since you were here. I still love Iceland though and I bet you know why....

will

Check your PM...

Napa 1773 Is Even Larger Than The 1515, Holds About A Quart More Fluid Than The Stock Filter. Let Me Check My Files And I Will Make A Post Of All The Filters Whick Will Work. Rip

1.5 quart filter

For those of you who want to run a 2-quart oil filter on your 4.0 HO engine:

Your friendly NAPA dealer carries a filter for you. It is "NAPA Gold" oil filter number 1773. The box has the following brand cross-references printed on it: AC PF42, Fram PH977A, Motorcraft FL299, Purolator L40017, and Wix 51773. The NAPA filter costs $6.81.

Remember to add an extra quart of oil at oil change time if you switch to this oil filter. This conversion will only work on High Output motors built after 1991, unless the oil filter attachment is changed. Here is a good link.

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARoilFilterConversion/OilFilterConversion.htm

Fleet Guard LF697
NAPA1773
AC PF42
Fram PH977A
Motorcraft FL299
Purolator L40017
Wix

Walmart: SuperTech 10W30 and SuperTech ST16 filter, do a 6 qt swap with a new filter for less than $10. Since its cheaper, I do it more often, every 2 months or 2K miles, Ive got 140K on the clock so it makes me feel good inside. :)

MyJeepXJ said:
Walmart: SuperTech 10W30 and SuperTech ST16 filter, do a 6 qt swap with a new filter for less than $10. Since its cheaper, I do it more often, every 2 months or 2K miles, Ive got 140K on the clock so it makes me feel good inside. :)

I can't imagine walmart house brand being a quality filter. I've been doing Mobil 1 and WIX for almost 20 years. Carqust or Napa house brands like everyone has stated. Cut one of the walmart house brand filters apart, you probably won't like what you see. Did you check the online oil filter review?

Well I bought my 99' XJ from my uncle so I know it has had syn. since about 20K or so, and I bought it from him w/85K. On my last oil change I had put in a Fram filter w/ Mobil 1 10W30. And I noticed that at about 3,000 mi it looked like it usually does w/6,000 mi. With everything I've read about Fram filters on NAXJA I swithed to a Purolator Pure One 5.0 filter and ran it to 6,000 mi. This time, I'm runing that 15,000 mi Mobil 1, 5W30, but normally I change it at 10,000 mi and it looks like peoples conventional oil at 2,500 mi, I usually change the filter at 5,000 mi and add the necassary oil.
Sorry for the rambling on, but Id be careful switching over to syn. w/higher mileage. Ohh yea and stay away from FRAM filters they suck.

I switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic at 67K on my 99 and within 500 miles had both a rear main leak and a oil pan gasket leak. I've continued to run Mobil 1 and even though the leaks haven't gotten better, they haven't gotten worse. I can live with it for now. I'm quite impressed with all of the crap it has cleaned out of my engine in the last 9K (done 3 changes now with the synthetic), even if it means it cleaned the crap holding my seals together. In a few months i'll be prepping it for the move to college, and both gaskets are on my list of things to do to get it ready.

I also use Napa GOLD oil filters. Not a single problem out of them, and not expensive at all.

Check BITOG for the current opinion for the 4.0

You'll probably be told to get a 40 weight.
15w-40 Chevron Delo if you're cheap
5w-40 M1 Truck & SUV if you want synthetic with cleaners package

Back