• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get trim decals for lower body and door hinge pins?

Red91Laredo

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I have a '91 XJ Laredo with the silver lower body trim. I'm looking for replacement decals for the lower body area- I have the rubber trim pieces but there is also a decal that surrounds the rubber trim. The decals on my XJ are sun faded and cracked and I want to replace them as I'm going to repaint the rubber trim pieces. I know there must be a source for these decals as the driver's door seems to have much newer ones than the rest of the Jeep. Anyone know where I can get these?

I also need door hinge pins. I found some online for '97+ XJ's but couldn't find any for my '91. Anyone have a source for those?

mine was just a strip of black vinyl, any sticker shop should be able to cut you out a piece for relatively cheap.

I believe the lower silver color on the metal, rubber trim and fender flares is the stock Dark Silver Metallic, code PS7. I have a '92 that was originally a stripper Sport (no funky stripes and graphics, though) and it was (and still is) the factory PS7 paint code. When I was rebuilding it, we made a Limited out of it, and I needed paintable flares. I found a nice '92 Laredo in the yard, white with silver trim, and the flares were the same color as the new paint on my car. I forget where I saw it, but I found the paint codes for the body and trim, and they were the same paint code! Maaco did the car in a cheaper DuPont line of paint (Nason), but it's the nicest $400 paint job you'll ever see! And, the paint is readily available at a DuPont retailer. At $25 a quart, not too spendy for automotive paint, either. And, it's a dead match for the original color. So, I bought a quart, prepped the flares and rubber bumper caps, and shot them in my garage. You can't tell that they weren't painted on the car. And, I added the ribbed rubber cladding on the lower body, mostly silver pieces from various Laredos.

I also have a '96 Country, the successor to the Laredo. Same trims and contrasting lower body cladding. My Country is Moss Green, with the Sandstone Pearlcoat contrasting trim. The decals on the rear quarters are going bad also, like you've described. Last summer I replaced the rocker panels, and wanted to maintain the original color combination. I bought
a quart of DuPont Moss Green, great match, but the trim Sandstone color was only available from PPG, at a grab-your-ankles almost $60 a half-pint. Yikes!

If you're able to spray, I'd say prep the offending area, and lay on some PS7. Won't cost much, and the paint gives a novice a very nice finish.

I believe the Silver one is the color you'll need:

000_1341.jpg

The Country trim colors, but was same parts as earlier Laredo.

Country.jpg

Back