• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a 60 shaft cut and re-splined??

Tozovr,

can you please contact me?

I'm having a bitch of a time finding someone who will re-spline this axle.

I'm in chicago, a place where good machine shops abound, I've already wasted a week having my axle shaft sitting in the one gearshop.....they tried to cut the shaft with a goddamn cold saw (I told the stupid assholes the thing was around R-58C) and they called me to pick it up, that they're bowing out......

I hit the yellow book one last time, and no one can touch it. I had some dumbass suggest torching the end off, and he'd make a small splined section and weld it back on......

no joke. I almost peed in my pants when I heard that.....

chicago just aint the place for this i guess.....

there was one place that wanted to anneal the end, dropping it down to around 24c, cutting the splines, and re-hardening......I told them that sounded good, how much?

ready?

400-500 bucks.....

mmmm kay.

this is turning out to be a total bullshit hassle.....

I'm about to sell the jeep and go back into throwing horseshoes competively.

Have you been kicked in the head by a horse? BB gun missfire lodge a pellet in your brain? Too much welding on galvanized parts?

If you'd have sent it to Moser or Dutchmann, you'd have it back by now.

Dumbass.

CRASH

Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.

CRASH

CRASH said:
Admitting the problem is the first step to recovery.

CRASH

Its on its way to dutchman.....

yeah, i coulda saved some time taking it right through dutchman is one shot, but I really figured having a good metal bitchin' city like chicago, i coulda gotten it done locally, and supported a dying industry.......

its sad when you can't respline and axle shaft "cold" in a big city......

this mod gets my "Lame Award" for 2003......

what a fawkin pain-in-da-ass.....

I doubt I'll get that thing back before xmas break......

looks like I'll be back in attica over the holiday, breaking u-joints and axles again.....

great. like i need more "wrench time"

:mad:

Back