• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy OME?

DMMcG said:
As stated: if you're adding 3" or more of suspension lift then get the long-travel shocks and adjust your bumpstops (probably just in front; the rears should be fine) to prevent the shock from being the bumpstop. The part number shouldn't have an "M" in it at all - the OME Nitrocharger shocks are N35 (front) and N36 (rear). The long-travel version adds an "L" to the end of the part# to designate the longer shock.

The LT shocks will allow your axle to drop 'til your stock UCA's, brake-lines or trackbar bind.

Well that's the mystery part..... nobody really says what Just the 934's by themselve actually net height wise, Though I've got the feeling I might end up with spacers in front to get things level anyways. Guess I might as well go L F&R :greensmok Why is it somehow I always go taller than the original plan every time I lift????
Mike B.

tdr1213 said:
Thanks juicexj24 and poppabear.

I wonder why the shock mount is so low to begin with? It makes sense to get rid of things that will snag rocks. I just wonder if it is lower to create some kind of leverage for strength or support.

It's not by accident one shock is in front of the rear axle, one is behind, and the axle shock mounts hang down from the axle so far. The "fore" and "aft" shock location and their long mount offset from the axle centerline is to control axle twist (spring wrap). When getting on and off the gas, one shock, then the other resists the axle twist through the rebound circuit being much stiffer than the compression. Reducing the length of the lower shock mounts offset from the axles centerline, reduces the leverage each shock has against the axle twist, you get more spring wrap with the added ground clearance.

1986xj said:
Well that's the mystery part..... nobody really says what Just the 934's by themselve actually net height wise, Though I've got the feeling I might end up with spacers in front to get things level anyways. Guess I might as well go L F&R :greensmok Why is it somehow I always go taller than the original plan every time I lift????
Mike B.

the 934's give 3" of lift... period..

if you want 2" OME 930's and jc1b's N35/N36 shocks

if you want 3" OME 934's and JC1A N35L/N36L shocks

if you want 4.5" OME 934's 2"spacer JC1A+1.5" lift shackles. same shocks

5" use factory spacer in addition to the above... and the OME JCXL AAL.

All of this changes by .5-1" with front and rear bumper tire carriers and winches..etc.

poppabear said:
the 934's give 3" of lift... period..

if you want 2" OME 930's and jc1b's N35/N36 shocks

if you want 3" OME 934's and JC1A N35L/N36L shocks

if you want 4.5" OME 934's 2"spacer JC1A+1.5" lift shackles. same shocks

5" use factory spacer in addition to the above... and the OME JCXL AAL.

All of this changes by .5-1" with front and rear bumper tire carriers and winches..etc.

Could not have said it better myself.
I am at 4.75" w/ 1.75" spacers and a .75" shackle with factory isolator, 934s, JC1As, JCXLs.
Nice ride, to be sure.
:D

i am at 4.75" with 934's 2" spacer no iso and jc1a's OME aal and tera shackles.. love it! will be adding iso to the front this summer in preparation for 33's and ARB/winch. I have the c4x4 rear with tire carrier as well.

RobertF

It's not by accident one shock is in front of the rear axle, one is behind, and the axle shock mounts hang down from the axle so far. The "fore" and "aft" shock location and their long mount offset from the axle centerline is to control axle twist (spring wrap). When getting on and off the gas, one shock, then the other resists the axle twist through the rebound circuit being much stiffer than the compression. Reducing the length of the lower shock mounts offset from the axles centerline, reduces the leverage each shock has against the axle twist, you get more spring wrap with the added ground clearance.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm. Sounds like raising the shock mount is not necessarily a good thing. Is spring wrap hard to get in to? What's the consequence of spring wrap?

I was just pointing out why the rear shocks are set up the way they are in answer to the question of why the lower mounts hang down so far.
I didn't make mention of how the soft, saggy, three and/or four leaf, over-the-axle, stock spring set up is so susceptible to axle wrap, necessitating the shock mount design to try and negate the problem.
When you lift the rear you are usualy installing five, six, or more leaf, higher quality, stiffer rate spring packs that resist axle wrap much better than the stock springs.
Untill an anti-wrap torque link is incorperated, all leaf springs have some amount of axle-wrap. How much depends on design.

tdr1213 said:
RobertF

It's not by accident one shock is in front of the rear axle, one is behind, and the axle shock mounts hang down from the axle so far. The "fore" and "aft" shock location and their long mount offset from the axle centerline is to control axle twist (spring wrap). When getting on and off the gas, one shock, then the other resists the axle twist through the rebound circuit being much stiffer than the compression. Reducing the length of the lower shock mounts offset from the axles centerline, reduces the leverage each shock has against the axle twist, you get more spring wrap with the added ground clearance.

Hmmmm. Sounds like raising the shock mount is not necessarily a good thing. Is spring wrap hard to get in to? What's the consequence of spring wrap?[/QUOTE]

bs... the way the shocks are mounts to the axle they have no affect on spring wrap. the shocks cannot rotate with the axle...look at the orientation of the shocks. and even if they did the 2" diff. woudn't matter on spring wrap.

wrap affect spring life, can bend u bolts, and can cause DS issues.

If anyone is interested I've got a slightly used set of OME shocks that I'll sell. They are N35C for the front and N36C for the rear. Not too long after I put on the OME set-up I lifted it another 2" and needed longer shocks. These have only been off road once or twice and don't have many miles on them. $100 + shipping for all 4.

Robert

Does anyone know the lenghts compressed/uncompressed of the stock shocks?

Thanks

Do you mean the factory shocks or the OME standard shocks? If you're looking for OME lengths let me know and I'll measure them for you.

Robert

or u could go back to page through the thread and see them... :dunce:

A follow up to my short shock problem (described early in this thread). It wasn't easy, but ARB exchanged my standard shocks for the long ones. Thanks to Scott at ARB I am a happy customer now. He really made my problem easy, whereas others involved in selling me the setup talked in circles and made it my problem. Interestingly enough, Scott knew none of the history. By chance I got a hold of him because the other salesman was out. He let me explain the setup and in 5 minutes understood and said I should have the longer shocks - the next day I had 4 new shocks.

I hope ARB appreciates their employees, like Scott, who are interested in providing excellent customer service - as opposed to customer NO-service. Now, I'm likely to buy the bullbar and their lockers.

Also, thanks to poppabear and others who gave advice and specs. I used much of the info to make my case.

Back