• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to buy coil overs???

Cache96

NAXJA Forum User
I was just wondering where you guys are buying your coilovers? I usually get my shocks from downsouth motorsports out of SD and i just spoke with Sonny the owner and he gave me a pretty good deal on some 14" and 16" 2.5 Kings with coils. I was just wondering where and for how much everyone who has them has purchased them for.

Looking for King 2.5 14" or 16" travel. party1:

I'm the loser I can't afford them high name brands... Lol it will be FOA on mine and if I don't care for them on the chroakie then I'll throw them on my tj. I definatly agree the other brand are nice if I could run ant of them I'd either run kings or bilsteins

kings.... if you have a racer account at kartek they have decent prices... check dexertrangers or race dezert. my second choice would be fox or bilsteins.... but everybodu has there brands i have a pair of foa on my cherokee and they wotk well.

what does everyone hate sway away?

I just jumped on the sway a way bandwagon because of the shorter bodies... but shocks are shocks, pick your favorite color. Just my opinion.

I was just wondering where you guys are buying your coilovers? I usually get my shocks from downsouth motorsports out of SD and i just spoke with Sonny the owner and he gave me a pretty good deal on some 14" and 16" 2.5 Kings with coils. I was just wondering where and for how much everyone who has them has purchased them for.

Looking for King 2.5 14" or 16" travel. party1:

I've bought most of my shocks from King directly. Some of the best deals on their shocks come from the King booth at the Leduc Offroad swap meet.

Well i couldnt afford them either, thats why i have been saving for a few months and now have enough..lol....well i can get the coilovers with springs and 90 degree fitting for under 1,300.. it is way cheaper than other places ive checked.. usually you pay that with no springs.

A wise man once said "emulsion shocks are like cooking steak in a microwave." haha. I'll let him chime in if he sees this.

I PM'd him Jimmy. He should see this next time he logs in.

As for "shocks are shocks".....not true. Thats like saying cars are cars, pick your favorite color. Yes they all have engines and yes, most all have 4 tires and a transmission but they all don't work the same. Some are Diesel, some are gas, some are 4wd and some arent.......Bilstein actually puts technology in their shocks not just huge cans with lots of fluid.

Bilstein actually puts technology in their shocks not just huge cans with lots of fluid.
King/SAW/Bilstien are all roughly the same as far as piston design, shim design, functionality etc, they are dimensionally different so you can't really interchange parts, but to say they put "technology" in their shocks while the "others" don't is kind of misleading.:). It all comes down to valving and customer service. No experience with FOA, never had one apart.

Ok, well i already have everything planned out for the front coilover conversion. Now i have a question for you guys, If i leave the spring in and put in say a 2.5 12" shock with resi how would this affect the ride out in the desert? better with coilovers or with spring and a resi shock?
What if i cut out where the shock goes and run say a 14" travel shock and make an "engine cage for just the shock"?

just thoughts in my head... forgive me..hahaha

Well right now i have 10" fox 2.0's up front and it does great. I just wanted to know how different the ride would be with coilovers compared to how it is now. i would also change the mounting location if i go the shock route.

You probably won't be able to cycle the full 14 inches without lots of work, probably only 12" with a short body shock. I would run a coil and a bypass shock rather than a coilover.

Wow.. that does sound like a good idea, it will be a really tight fit though..
IMG00468-20090615-1946.jpg

Back