• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I find a good XJ?

CLTSV650

NAXJA Forum User
In 2004, I traded my 2000 XJ for a 2004 Nissan Titan. Although the Titan is a good truck, I have no use for it anymore and I miss my XJ.

I've been checking out craigslist for new listings daily, but to no avail. Is there anywhere else I should be checking? I'm trying to avoid stealerships as their prices are outrageous.

Thanks,
Nick

autotrader http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/index.jsp

, local classifieds in your towns largest newpaper. Is tennesese to far a drive ... i love auto rv.com trader magazine here in the midewest http://www.auto-rv.com/ they dont serve the carolinas but check tennesse.

also do you guys have tradingtimes at your 7-11 good source for private sale jeeps http://detroit.traderpub.com/

also check ebay if your that kinda guy, i would only buy cores, salvage, or parts rig, would have to be a local ride for me to check out for me to buy a runner on ebay.

Shouldnt be too hard to find a good one cheap, your down in "rust free land" ya lucky sob :sunshine:

I got mine off ebay and have been happy with it. Paid much less than what I had seen locally. And I did look a bit first.

I've got a friend in Charlotte, that said he had a friend selling a 94 (i think) for $1300. The only catch is it's a 2wd. I'm not sure if they still have it, but if you're intrested PM me and I will find out for you.

Thanks for the advice motorcityxj, srimes and jess. I'll run out and get the local Auto Trader, it's unfortunate they don't list many private sellers on thier website.

TN isn't too far away for me for a good condition XJ, the ride thru the Smoky Mountains is entertaining enough :eeks1: , so I'll keep an eye on the auto-rv site, thanks.

I forgot about eBay, but I'll check that too.

Jess, thanks for the offer, but I'm looking for 4wd :)

I'll let you guys know what I find, thanks again.

Avoid the stealerships at all cost, if you can. They are known for taking vehicles with severe mechanical issues into their shop for a quickie band-aid fix, then when you test-drive it everything seems fine. I got hosed on an '88 Chevy S-10 pickup once, which began drinking oil and creating huge billows of blue smoke just a few weeks after I got it. Somebody told me they probably threw a can of liquid ring seal of something like that into the crankcase just before I took it out to test drive. Of course a private party could pull the same stunt if they knew how, but given the fact you know where they live I'd say they're less likely to.

I have one a few hours away. I'll get you some pics if you give me your email. 91 4.0 HO 4.5 lift. Many parts and mods. Just painted last year. sitting on 31's

I use autos.yahoo.com and find a small used dealer, NOT a dealership.

The best place is a stealership! They take XJ's on trade all the time and because some are too old or too high milage they wholesale them off.Banks won't finance them. Tell them you are a "buyer" and need Jeep Xj's. They will point you to the back lot full of vehicles waiting to be wholesaled off or taken to auction. If they think you are just a customer wanting a deal they will shoot you a high price but remember they are only going to get 100-2000 from a wholesaler or auction. They will take your cash if they think they will make 50 bucks more than they would nomaly get.They need to get rid of the car for so start at about a quarter of what you think it would list at. Dealers take trades every day and they need to dipose of trades everyday go in and acked like a car buyer/dealer not a tire kicker. Tell them you need to buy an XJ today. You will be a proffesional car buyer on your first deal. Tell the sales people that greet you you are a wholesaler and ask who do I need to talk to. Find the back lot and offer next to nothing but a lot of times they will tell you what the dealership has in the car in real dollers. Remember they need to get rid of old trades to make room for new and late model used cars. So you can go in during a slow time of the week day and give them quick cash for what they consider junk. Some dealers play and some don't so save they big ones for last that way you will have learned the ropes before you get to the big lots full of wholesale cars. Only go to the lots that sell newer stuff. Good luck!

I'll put ya into a clean 96....real reasonable. She's a runner. ;)

Stumpalump- that's a good idea. But I'm not sure if I can pull it off... maybe I'll just ask them to show me the back lot right off the bat and that I can pay in cash today...

Anyway, I ran across this '97 SE for sale, and ran carfax on it:

Date:Mileage:Source:Comments:
08/19/1998 2,008 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
03/24/1999 2,344 Service Facility Vehicle serviced Lubed oil and filter changed
03/01/2000 3,137 Service Facility Vehicle serviced Lubed oil and filter changed
06/21/2000 3,309 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
09/05/2000 3,415 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
02/14/2001 4,505 Service Facility Vehicle serviced Lubed oil and filter changed
10/24/2001 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
01/17/2002 4,530 Service Facility Vehicle serviced Lubed oil and filter changed
03/28/2003 5,520 Service Facility Vehicle serviced
02/13/2004 5,871 Service Facility Vehicle serviced Lubed oil and filter changed
05/01/2007 8,328 Auto Auction Sold at auction in Eastern Region
Listed as a fleet vehicle
05/01/2007 Virginia Motor Vehicle Dept. Salem, VA Vehicle purchase reported
06/08/2007 Virginia Motor Vehicle Dept. Salem, VA Title issued or updated
New owner reported

What do you guys think the story is behind this? The dealer wants 2x KBB retail, what would you guys think a fair price would be?

My 98 SE was also a former fleet vehicle with low miles. I paid $3000 for it. Just be aware that an SE is the most basic model. Mine had the idiot cluster, no tilt, no cruise, manual locks, and manual windows. But it did have the full skid package.

I've switched out the cluster and bought a cruise setup from another Jeeper. I can live without the other niceties since mine isn't a daily driver anymore.

Oh, and I found it listed on Autotrader.com

Back