• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where can I find a 30 tooth Speedometer Gear without being price gouged?

Got mine off ebay. What you need to do is find a list of what other cars use the same speedo gear. Then you can search for each kind. There's literally dozens of different cars they came in... many you'd never think of. I think I paid $10 for mine plus actual shipping.

Thanks for the help guys! I just ordered the gear and o-ring from Parts Mike. The guy who took my order was friendly but he sounded like a newer employee there. He originally quoted me the gear for $37.99 until I pointed out that their price on their website was $34.95. He changed the price without giving me a hard time so that part was good. Are they a vendor on this forum? I mentioned that I was a member on here and that's how I found out about them hoping for a possible forum discount, but did not receive one nonetheless. I'm not bummed, I'm just unemployed and need to save every last penny when I can. Thanks again for your help and suggestions guys!

Hey guys, so I got the new speedometer gear from Parts Mike and I went to install it. I have an 89 XJ with a NP242 T-case. I made sure to twist the gear so that the metal rod slid all the way into the plate that the speedo cable goes into and pushed the plate as far back into the T-case as possible but the plate still sticks out past the T-case housing by 1/16 of an inch instead of sitting flush. With that being said, my speedometer doesn't work now because the gear isn't making contact I suppose.

My questions are:

1. On the NP242, does the plate that the speedo cable is bolted to actually sit flush with the t-case?

2. The plate was pretty difficult to wiggle out and push in, is that normal on the NP242?

3. Does everything look lined up correctly for a 30 tooth gear in the pictures?:
(P.S. I know the bolt isn't on the clip in the pics but this was about as far as the plate would go in regardless.)

2010-12-24_17-16-57_706.jpg

2010-12-24_17-16-45_683.jpg

Looks fine to me.

Keep twisting it quarter turns. One if the positions will work. Trial and error at this point

Should I twist the whole plate or is there something else that should be twisted? Like, does the cable twist by itself or do I just twist the plate to where instead of the correct group of numbers being lined up, a different group is lined up instead?

Back