• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where and how did you mount your Magnefine filter?

True though about styles of maintenance. When synthetic came out, there was a guy I knew who put on 100K (from new) before changing oil (just filters at regular interals). He said the oil was fine because the MFG claimed it would be so :sure: I wouldn't do it...

Yeah, that's crazy.

I change oil and filters once per year in all my vehicles except for the Cherokee. I change the Cherokee twice a year because I use it mainly for work (hauling firewood and brush). The engine idles, tows, and goes off-road a lot. I pull an oil sample on all my vehicles. I bought the Jeep Liberty and Dodge Ram new, so I know what’s been done to them. So far my UOA always comes back good and the report always says, “good for continued use, sample at next interval”, lol. I go ahead and change my fluids once per year as specified by Amsoil. I run Amsoil filters and lubricants, which are specified for longer oil changes or (at 1 year intervals) as long as the engine is in good working order.

I’m not going to fault the Frantz toilet paper oil filter; however, I will fault the idea of not changing the oil unless the driver/owner was monitoring the condition of the by an UOA. The reason for taking a UOA and changing the oil is to make sure that your additive packages are still stable and doing their job. Overtime, the oil and additives will break down leaving your engine vulnerable to wear. The most miles I’ve put on an oil change was 15,000 miles. It was on my Dodge Truck with a 2 micron by-pass system. I was running the Amsoil 5W30 Heavy Duty Diesel oil. I pulled a sample because I was at one year. The UOA showed that my oil checked out good and I was advised to resample again in 7,500 miles. I went ahead and changed the oil anyway.

I don't bother with oil analysis, I just look for part numbers :D

Ah, the TP filter...

I wonder which brand of TP works best? :scottm:

-Ron

All I know is that I wouldn't put anything made of TP inline with my oil supply. The orifices are too fine in too many places to deal with a piece of errant TP floating around the system.

There is probably a very good reason SKY MFG is out of business.

-Ron

All I know is that I wouldn't put anything made of TP inline with my oil supply. The orifices are too fine in too many places to deal with a piece of errant TP floating around the system.

x2

There is probably a very good reason SKY MFG is out of business.

-Ron

I thought that is why they are bypass filters and have a filter to capture any errant TP before the oil goes back into the system. I don't think I would ever run one but I know plenty of people that do.

Back