• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you jump a Jeep Cherokee

Flew a Lebaron one time. did suprsingly well all things considered................

I'd try trussing a stronger pair of axles (D44 minimum, probably a couple of beefed up 60's if you have the dough), cage and reimforce the snot out of it's unibody, long coils (wonder if V-8 ZJ's would work?!), better leaf springs with more arch, air bumpstops, air down the tires (I'd try 31"-33" so I have some wheelwell left) a little with beadlocks on it, and damn good shocks. I'd also try and find a cheap rust free beater to do it too so I'm not spending all that money on a nice, pretty truck to go and thrash when an old heap would work fine.

Wouldn't an IFS truck have the possibilty of the front skid plate digging into where ever you land and benting the hell out of the frame and tearing mounting points up? I've seen that a few times on T-Maxx's (one guy jumped his garage and tore apart a brand new aluminum skidplate on landing, then tore me a new one because we sold him one that couldn't take the abuse!) and my E-Pede's front bulkhead has done that alot when I've jumped it, luckily I haven't broken or bent anything on mine when I have.

I caught air twice with my 98 xj. Got like a foot or two pretty evenly, But i have my bumpstops extended, so the landings were pretty harsh. My rims are also 15x10's with a stupid offset (they stick out 1-2" past my bushwacker flares.) I'm going to take a look at my axle now.. A friend took his xj over the same jump at like 60 mpg and got 5 feet of air. He beats the crap out of that thing. Still running.

jeffjump.jpg

Not something I would recommend to just anyone, but this little roller was perfect for takeoff.......nobody got any shots of the landing, but it was surprisingly smooth as well, although I did get some dents in my inner fenderwheel......too lazy to disco the swaybar that day.

If you jump an XJ without beefing up the axles and body.....it's not about if you'll tweak it, but when........your airtime may vary.

XJEEPER said:
Not something I would recommend to just anyone, but this little roller was perfect for takeoff.......nobody got any shots of the landing, but it was surprisingly smooth as well, although I did get some dents in my inner fenderwheel......too lazy to disco the swaybar that day.

If you jump an XJ without beefing up the axles and body.....it's not about if you'll tweak it, but when........your airtime may vary.

Were you in 4X in this picture?

i caught enough air on pavement and landed on the right front wheel enough to stuff it all the way into the fender well, bend my d30 just enough to where 4wd wouldent engage, taco my wheel, and the pass frame side lca mount took a large portion of the force of landing and distributed it throughout the unibody. makes for a real wavy roofline, and passenger side door that barely closes. i was lucky.

the stuffage also lead my oilpan to take the perfect shape of the d30 housing. i dont have any pics of the carnage, save this. i kept the pass lca. after i got dragged out of the ditch, i got to drive it with this lca on it the 1/2 mile to my buddies house. it had just a little bit of a pull to one side. i'll get the pic later, no photobucket yet and time limited

jump2.jpg

The only time I've ever jumped it. It scared the snot out of me and I ripped a fender flare. It wasn't too harsh a landing, but I do'nt wanna do it again any time soon.

rallyemore said:
jump2.jpg

The only time I've ever jumped it. It scared the snot out of me and I ripped a fender flare. It wasn't too harsh a landing, but I do'nt wanna do it again any time soon.
That is a COOL picture!

funvtec said:
the first link there is no jumping just driving fast across sand

Oh well, deal with it.

Those are about 2 ft high, going that fast. It was mearly showing how built the vehicle is to do that.

Back