• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When did you decide to junk your car?

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
Im torn between a new vehicle that will be more reliable, and a better starting point for a rig, but my old faithful could be saved still I guess. When did you decide to junk an old friend? Or is it sitting under a tree somewhere in the back?

When there is no structure to hold the drive train in place, its time to think about it.

i retired my first trail rig when the rusted floors finally let go on the trail and the entire drivers side was swinging loose, only connected in the drivers foot well and near the B-pillar...

That last one could easily apply to a good portion of the Club's fleet because of age, etc. Seen many salvagable XJs in the yard due to that one.

I usually sell when I want something different. I've actually only junked one vehicle, and it was because it was so bad, they had to tow it away.

-Ron

i've junked two.

my first car... slid on black ice at hit a property wall at ~20mph. bent the front K-member. drove it all buggered up until i bought my jeep about a month later. it was a 92 sundance with just under 200k on it.

my first jeep.. nice big crack from the firewall to the rear seat, both front doors were kicked shut and stuck after bending the door frames, bad dimples on the d pillars. also just under 200k

Horrible floor and frame rust, I'd already repaired one section of frame just so I could have some fun whipping the hell out of it in the woods... it lasted about a year being beat on multiple times a month before I finally nuked the AW4 300 miles from home on my way to NACFest. It wasn't worth finding a way to drag that POS home so I pulled what I wanted off it and another NAXJA member was kind enough to let my crap ride on his trailer and me ride in his tow rig.

I donated it free to the offroad park we were at as a spare parts rig. A year later I broke my new jeep (bent the drag link and ruined rear pinion yoke) and asked if I could perhaps have just those two parts back... they tried to sell them to me. Well within their rights to do so, but to say it put a bit of a sour taste in my mouth is an understatement. I bought my parts from a junkyard 40 miles away instead after patching it up just enough to limp it there.

only vehicle i ever junked was my first ride, a 79 chrysler le baron. 318 2 bbl carb. ran like a champ! and it did right into a big old oak tree. patched up the body from a local jy. even yanked the frame back-ish into place. but for the life of me could not fix the shift linkage (never occured to me to get new parts for that!). my mom found out about it while i was trying to get it repainted (it was factory forest green, inside & out). sold the engine to my brother and junked the rest. the frame wasn't properly straightened, just yanked back into a resemblance of correct spot.

Back