• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When all the XJ's run out.. with you buy an FJ Cruiser?

like this one?

41ra7f00r0laa260.jpg

4 door jk for this guy. Its taken 3 years to decide weither or not I like them, the more I see them the more I like. Not to mention huge wheel wells. That would be nice for a change.

I had an 89 toyota standard cab shortbox 4x4 before my waggy. I thought I liked it. I had plans for it that included a SAS and a 7mge under the hood. First I had to fix the frame, but that was OK, im a welder. Then I thought i could wait on the motor swap because of the LEGENDARY 22re under my hood that was supposed to run forever.......yeah that didnt work so much. True, it always ran, but it NEVER ran right no matter what I fixed. I hadn't paid much attention to the XJs before, but then I got to looking at a friends and thought hmmmmmm, already has the straight six so no need for a swap, no need for a SAS either......so I bought one. Then I figured out that my jeep is far superior to that toyota in every way imaginable. Same mileage with twice the power, better offroad, more comfortable, more reliable, cheaper to fix when you DO need it, cheaper lifts, and more available junkyard upgrades. I learned my lesson and will continue to buy jeep products. My next will probably be a TJ or JK, depending on what I find IF my waggy ever gives up the ghost. By the way, toyota guys love to rub their frames in our faces but really what is the use of a frame that rusts out and breaks in half after 10-15 years of road salt? is that REALLY that much of an improvement?

By the way, toyota guys love to rub their frames in our faces but really what is the use of a frame that rusts out and breaks in half after 10-15 years of road salt? is that REALLY that much of an improvement?

I had forgotten about the Taco frames...well "Taco-ing". More of that "legendary quality" at work, they improperly treated the frames. Toyota had to buy the trucks back just to get the unsafe vehicle that breaks in half off of our roads.

When I was a Toyota tech back in the 80's I remember a issue with the Supra/Cressida line that had issues with the DOHC engines. We replaced either the head or the long block on hundreds of those things for a couple of years. We had engines and heads stacked like chord wood in the back of the shop. Another example of Toyota Quality.

I liked Toyota's until I worked on them then I realized they have issues just like all other car makes do.

I liked Toyota's until I worked on them then I realized they have issues just like all other car makes do.

That right thar is funnay... you must not like any cars then? :D

You guys can bag on Yotas all ya want, but when it comes to compact trucks, I'll take a Toy over a Ranger, S-10, or Dakota ANY day.

I had forgotten about the Taco frames...well "Taco-ing". More of that "legendary quality" at work, they improperly treated the frames. Toyota had to buy the trucks back just to get the unsafe vehicle that breaks in half off of our roads.

When I was a Toyota tech back in the 80's I remember a issue with the Supra/Cressida line that had issues with the DOHC engines. We replaced either the head or the long block on hundreds of those things for a couple of years. We had engines and heads stacked like chord wood in the back of the shop. Another example of Toyota Quality.

At least they stand behind the product.
Blocks & heads stacked like cordwood, Ford & Chrysler let the bodies stack up, then still try not to admit it was their problem!

If you are a mechanic at any particular manufacturers dealership your opinion is automatically null and void. I've seen this happen with every mechanic friend I have. They all hate the vehicles they work on and think they are the worst POS on the road. Of course it's the only vehicle they have in their shop...

Wow, a lot of hate for Toyotas in here lol. I actually like Toyotas and would have one for a DD if I could afford it (instead I drive an 07 Kia lol)

But as for the original question of what would you wheel if all of the XJ's were gone, the LJ and 4 door JK come to mind, because I love Jeeps, but honestly it would probably be a first gen. Nissan Xterra. Strong rear axles, good manual or automatic transmissions, body on frame, the 3.0 supercharged engines take 93 octane but whatever, seating for five people and all our junk, good aftermarket support, it has IFS but the IFS is plenty strong for what I would use it for (31"-33" tires with a small suspension lift & 1" body lift with light wheeling on forest roads), small body size, and I like the way it looks.

Wow, a lot of hate for Toyotas in here lol. I actually like Toyotas and would have one for a DD if I could afford it (instead I drive an 07 Kia lol)

But as for the original question of what would you wheel if all of the XJ's were gone, the LJ and 4 door JK come to mind, because I love Jeeps, but honestly it would probably be a first gen. Nissan Xterra. Strong rear axles, good manual or automatic transmissions, body on frame, the 3.0 supercharged engines take 93 octane but whatever, seating for five people and all our junk, good aftermarket support, it has IFS but the IFS is plenty strong for what I would use it for (31"-33" tires with a small suspension lift & 1" body lift with light wheeling on forest roads), small body size, and I like the way it looks.

I've thought about the xterra's but.. the pathfinder has a much nicer motor and is lighter.. Also.. even though that motor is S/C'ed it is still pretty puney..

I think its actually a 3.3L, but supercharged, it still only makes 210 hp. Not enough in my opinion.

The 3.5L in the 2nd gen pathfinder makes 250hp.. its a nice motor.. The second gen pathfinder started in '96 so it was made along side a gen 1 xterra up until 2004 (then the 2nd gen xterra came out). So if you are looking at years 96-2004 the pathfinder would be my choice. Lighter, more hp.. (but maybe less rugged?)

Last edited:
I've thought about the xterra's but.. the pathfinder has a much nicer motor and is lighter.. Also.. even though that motor is S/C'ed it is still pretty puney..

Actually, Pathfinder is heavier than an Xterra - Well at least the last 4 years anyway.

Nissan GVWR

YearModel GVWR (lbs)

Pathfinder 5797
Xterra 5200

Pathfinder 5800
Xterra 5288

Pathfinder 6000
Xterra 5288

Pathfinder 6000
Xterra 5200

Last edited:
I don't remember where I read that the Xterra was heavier.. I know it was a comparison of the 1st gen xterra to the 2nd gen pathfinder.. Hard to believe a uni-body SUV can be heavier than a body on frame.. I know the pathfinder has more electronics and "luxury" crap.. but..

Actually, Pathfinder is heavier than an Xterra - Well at least the last 4 years anyway.

Nissan GVWR

YearModel GVWR (lbs)

Pathfinder 5797
Xterra 5200

Pathfinder 5800
Xterra 5288

Pathfinder 6000
Xterra 5288

Pathfinder 6000
Xterra 5200

The 3.5L in the 2nd gen pathfinder makes 250hp.. its a nice motor.. The second gen pathfinder started in '96 so it was made along side a gen 1 xterra up until 2004 (then the 2nd gen xterra came out). So if you are looking at years 96-2004 the pathfinder would be my choice. Lighter, more hp.. (but maybe less rugged?)

Yeah, keep in mind the Pathfinder is meant to be more of a luxury model than the XTerra and luxury adds weight.

EDIT: A 98 Pathfinder weighs in between 3980-4085 and had a 168hp 3.3L V6.
The 2002 weighed in between 4131-4304 and had a 240hp 3.5L V6 std in the 2wd, 250hp version in the 4wd.
Current gen weighs between 4629-4859 and has a 270hp 4.0 V6.

Xterra: 2000 (first yr) weighed 3964-4130 and had a 170hp 3.4L V6, claims more torque than the Pathfinder.
2002 - 4079-4229 lbs with the optional 3.3L supercharged V6 putting out 210hp more torque than any other besides the current gen 4.0 V6s.
The current is at 4169-4435 with the same engine as the Pathfinder.

So, over the years the Pathfinder has indeed been the heavier vehicle, although with the 3rd gen you could get a more powerful engine than the 1st gen Xterra could.

Last edited:
Back