• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling... with a M/T

I would try out the hand throttle, I wheeled by buddies jeep with an manual and i did pretty good just using the hand throttle. It takes a lil practice but you can kinda drive it like a auto. Let the clutch out and set the throttle use the brakes to work a lil. Also if you dont have cruise control you can use it if you have enough travel in the line

This might seem kinda goofy, but has anyone tried running a motorcycle throttle on their manual shifter? With a mechanical cruise control unit on it you could set the RPM's where you want them and go or control it by hand. Just a thought I had and haven't had time or money to test the theory much less wheel the jeep.

wolfmanxj said:
This might seem kinda goofy, but has anyone tried running a motorcycle throttle on their manual shifter? With a mechanical cruise control unit on it you could set the RPM's where you want them and go or control it by hand. Just a thought I had and haven't had time or money to test the theory much less wheel the jeep.

Sis you not read the entire thread? We've been talking about bike shifters over the last few pages... same thing as a moto throttle. It'd be easier with a bike shifter though, and one that clicks. I have one that doesnt click and I have to tighten that little wing nut just right so that i can keep my RPM's right.

I put together an adj. idle control using the solenoid from a GM carb, the bracket with some re-work, and a HURST T-handle with the red button on the tip. The only down side is that to adjust the idle up/down, you have to fiddle with the solenoid adjust pin. Oh, well. I usually leave the "high idle" set at around 1500 RPM, as this with second&low, seems to be the best combo. for my XJ. BTW, I am STILL beating on the Pukegoat like it owes me money, and 31-1050-15 BFG A/Ts' on 3.55 gears, since the 4.10 rear dumped. Still runs with everyone though.

ren said:
I put together an adj. idle control using the solenoid from a GM carb, the bracket with some re-work, and a HURST T-handle with the red button on the tip. The only down side is that to adjust the idle up/down, you have to fiddle with the solenoid adjust pin. Oh, well. I usually leave the "high idle" set at around 1500 RPM, as this with second&low, seems to be the best combo. for my XJ. BTW, I am STILL beating on the Pukegoat like it owes me money, and 31-1050-15 BFG A/Ts' on 3.55 gears, since the 4.10 rear dumped. Still runs with everyone though.

Pics? How to? I wanna see this!

Hey, Selarep, I will try to post some pix tomorrow, as it is dark out side, and my Camera is a cheapy.
As for the how to: Look on the side of the T/B where the link connects to the throttle lever. You will see 3 holes that will need to be tapped, accrodingly to your hardware. This is where the bracket for the solenoid mounts. On the throttle lever itself, on the top of it, there is a hole. I welded a bolt in this with a thick nut on it for the solenoid to "bump" on. DO NOT weld the nut inplace until you have everything lined up. I welded the nut to the head of the bolt. Now, run the wiring to your switch., and wire it up. You set your idle by turning the rod that sticks out of the solenoid. My solenoid is for the A/C "idle-up" function on a GM vehicle with a Q-jet.
Happy Trails.
Ren
You could just run the solenoid lever against the lever on the T/B, but I like a better "contact patch", than what the skinny lever is.

Back