• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'Wheeling in South Dakota

Count me in for SD.

I too checked into SD for a wheeling trip for NAXJA. I couldn't find anyone who wheeled there. I contacted the Jeep club that runs the Dakota Challenge. They said they were not willing to help because they were afraid to let the word out about the trails there. I contacted the BLM or some agency like that and they were real pricks. They said if we had a certain amount of people attending we would need a permit. I said no problem. They said oh ya, were not issuing any permits. I said fine, we'll limit the number of people so we don't need a permit. They said we really want you to work with us on this. I said, ya right, I was trying to work with you but you won't issue us a permit. I said if you issue a permit we'll work with you. They said no go, so I said then what do I need you for. I even tried to talk to the people who help out with the Jambo there, of course they just wanted money. They wanted NAXJA to affiliate with them. Another, ya right!

SOOOOO, I would love to run SD as an official NAXJA event or as a trail finding mission. That is provided I can get off of work whichever week it is planned for. If it's outside of the typical vacation season I'm sure I'll make it. I'm low on the senority list now ya know.

B-loose

Lets some of us go out early next spring for a trail finding mission. With enough maps and questions, I think we could find some pretty good trails. Whatdyathink?

From the little experience I've had with SD and a week talking with someone in the "Know", the SD people are VERY concered with keeping their little corner of the world as private as possible. Their laws are relly pretty open to alot of things about free wheeling in open and semi closed areas but the people work around them to keep outsiders, out. An official run in my opinion would not work there or would be way to costly. But if a few small groups went to have fun have at it, it's a blast.

Little story about locals. We were there wheeling, invited by a local, while one of our crew was filling up his jeep, a local old man in a jeep pulls up so my buddy starts talking to him. By the end of the convesation my buddy had his a$$ chewed about how there was not any open wheeling in the BHs, he needed permits just to go out on his own, and he was going to report my buddy and get him hauled off to jail. My buddy was so blown away he came back and told our local buddy, well he said he new who he was and he was full of BS and did this all the time to outsiders. We went wheeling the rest of the week and had a blast.

Moral, Some locals are real sensitive of thier area. I'll bet with Bobs phone calls we'll be on a list to keep an eye on now. I did hear a second hand story the only way the jamboree got in the area was BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$s, but that was second hand info.

Whatever thats all worth, don't know, but I still think it's a cool place to wheel and visit just for vacation stuff. There is enough there to make the whole family have fun, BIG TIME!

mark

Edit: Names of locals wern't mention to protect the guilty and innocent.

Last edited:
Bob and I had talked about this before, and it was a good while ago, so it won't affect anything we may do. I agree with Mark that it would be way too difficult to do a NAXJA event there. I would only be interested in a smallish group meeting there for a wheeling vacation. As far as permits go, the rules for the BLM is fifty vehicles in an organized event, and 25 vehicles for the Forest Service (as I remember). If we don't organize anything, no permit is required, but that can be a fine line in their view if we have enough people.

I'd like to go, have always wanted to go, but a number of things would need to work out.

Mark, don't worry about my calls, that was a long time ago. I was just trying to point out the obsticles to having a event there. Your right on the money about the locals! I also agree the SD is a great state for vacation, wheeling or not.

All I know is please invite me if there is any group going out there. I would love to go and adventure there.

B-loose

If they're going to be that difficult to work with then they obviously don't want our money. (I heard someone say that NAXJA members droped 150 grand in Moab while we where there).

Any furthure discusion should be taken down to the local levels for unoffical trip planning.

Has anybody seen my Treehouse key? I think I missplaced it sometime ago.

Back