• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheelbase loss with lift

2stix keep in mine I didn't use just the s 10 leaf pack... I measured the length of the stock main leaf from center pin to the eyes. I then took the main of the s10 and cut the eyes off both sides to the correct lengths. Then I went xj main/s10 main/s10/s10/xj and I got about 4" from that, I still have a leaf from the s10 sitting by the fence.. After the jks shackle I got almost 5" but after my swing away and gear I rest at about 4". I will tell you thou with s10's it rights pretty firm, but loaded for trail use and she rides smooth.

thanks MaxxXJ thats some good info. i am surprised you didn't see any wheelbase loss with using the stock xj main with its 23" center pin. when i take a tape measure and stretch it across the bench, mark 23", then arching the tape up 5" and making a mark, it looses a little over 1/2" (about 9/16")when using a square and comparing the distances from the original line. but that is with a straight line and we are using arched leafs which will change this outcome. hence the start of the thread. thanks for answering it. i may just stick to the original plan and do pretty much what you have done by using the s10 spring pack and the XJ main. i was just hoping to use the thicker K5 main thinking it would be a little stronger. not that many have broken, but i have seen some.
it sounds like you may have the 4-1 leaf pack from the s10 if you used 3 and still have 1 left. and a stiffer ride unloaded isnt that big a deal for me. i actually need the added load capacity for what i use the jeep for. sounds like your set up may just work best. and if i want to set the axle back a little, i will use the other pin holes in the perches. thanks again.

your worrying to much about a half inch, do what sam said and buy spring perches from ruffstuff with offset holes and be done with it

i am not worried about the 1/2"loss, i was actually hoping there would be even more loss when using stock springs with the 23" center pin. that way by using the K5 pack with 26" pin i wouldnt have to worry about it being too far back. most people are using the ruff stuff perches to add wheelbase after the lift. if i use the K5 spring i would need to shorten the wheelbase because of the added 3" because of the center pin location. if the stock spring coupled with s10 or other leafs would lessen the wheelbase by a good 1 or so, then using the 1 1/2" perch offset on the blazer pack would end up being close to where the stock location was. the point here was to try and use the 26" blazer leaf for added strength, and not having to cut and assemble a pack. if it would work well, then we would have another alternative with readily available inexpensive leaf packs for an XJ to gain a 4-5 lift. i realize there are allready alternatives such as the s10/stock pack. i was just trying to figure out another.

please dont get offended, i had read your post entirely, but apearantly misinterpretted it. I was simply trying to clarify what you were saying so that i could try to help you. sorry to offend. but as the others have said, you could use the ruff stuff perches to shorten the wheelbase some with the k5 springs if the are too long

not offended, and thanks for trying to help. i pretty much explained in my first two posts that i plan to use u-bolt eliminators to help shorten the wheelbase. but those will only help shorten it by 1 1/2". and the ruff stuff ones would only shorten it 1". that is why i asked how much wheelbase was lost since i can only adjust it by 1 1/2" max with the perches, and the spring center pins are 3" further. i was hoping there would have been atleast a 1/2" to 3/4" loss. that would give me about a 1" set back when done. and that has been noted to be ok without hitting the fuel tank, or?.

My leaf pack.
e622aed1.jpg

1 inch back wont hit the fuel tank. in fact you should have room for 3" back with out fuel tank problems but thats just a guess from lookin

why is it that you guys feel the need to take all these quotes out of context? read on further and you will read that i am comparing the K5 blazer springs arch to s10 springs. (or any other leaf pack that would be used in a 4-5" lift) i go on to explain it in detail and should be pretty clear. are you guys reading the posts in their entirety? or is this just a (lets see how we can really screw up a thread) type of deal? i have allready asked to please keep this thread on its original topic, but apparently only one person understands that. (thank you MaxxXJ). it is no wonder people get so little info when doing a search. if i was to search 'wheelbase loss with lift" i would get this thread and get very little info on the matter. many of you guys only seem to want to do is try and find ways to show contradiction, and by taking quotes from different posts and out of context. i have read this type of thing more and more recently. and now that it is happening to me i am taking it a little personal. i came to this group because i found many of the members to be very helpful and considerate. (even to us dumb asses). but i am having real reservations about paying another membership fee. this thread has been a complete waste of my time.(well except for MaxxXJ's post). and other who may have read it looking for info on the original topic.
very sad, i thought i really liked this site.

please dont get offended, i had read your post entirely, but apearantly misinterpretted it. I was simply trying to clarify what you were saying so that i could try to help you. sorry to offend. but as the others have said, you could use the ruff stuff perches to shorten the wheelbase some with the k5 springs if the are too long
Apparently you weren't as clear as you thought. I read the whole posts, twice, to make sure I wasn't missing something, so I was trying to clarify. Relax a little.

For what it's worth, with RE 3.5" XJ springs, my tires still sit pretty well centered in the wheel well through out travel.

Darky, do you know if the RE 3.5 springs you used have the same 23" centering pin, or do they add a little length to them?

Back