• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacers Pros/Cons?

kid4lyf said:
I did.
I'm right.

I see it your way.

A 15x8 with 4" of BS (or 0 offset) puts the center of mass directly over the wheel mounting surface. Adding a 2" spacer puts the CM 2" outboard of the hub. Replacing the wheel and spacer with a 15x8 with 2" BS again puts the CM 2" outboard of the hub.

Both the spacer and the 2" BS wheel mount directly to the hub. Both have the same distance between CM and hub. Both create the same moment about the hub.

But I'm only an ME student.

Phil said:
But I'm only an ME student.
With the ability to explain things much clearer than me. :cheers:

kid4lyf said:
I did.
I'm right.

Maybe it'll help if you look at it this way.
Put a wheel with 2" backspacing and a 2" spacer, bolted together, in front of you.
Now put the other wheel, with 4" backspacing, next to it.
Lever arm wise, they are identical.
The force on the tire is in the same place and they connect to the spindle in the same place.

agree

idsjnk.jpg

But you would draw the forces acting at the wheel where it connects to the hub or spacer, moving the BS creates a moment on the wheel that counteracts the added distance of the spacer.

Concur with Kid and Phil and ranger.

So now that's 2 MEs and 2 ME students agianst one Physics teacher.

baldwinwb said:
The Physics teacher is now wrong. Sorry
That's OK.
You know what they say, "Those who can..."

Sorry, it was just sitting there on the tee and I couldn't resist.:D

Dirk Pitt said:
Concur with Kid and Phil and ranger.

So now that's 2 MEs and 2 ME students agianst one Physics teacher.

Add me to the list. I'm an ME.

Dirk, Kid, Phil, Ranger & Lawn vs the Nutty Professor

kid4lyf said:
That's OK.
You know what they say, "Those who can..."

Sorry, it was just sitting there on the tee and I couldn't resist.:D

I hope they teach me in my last 3 semesters how to shut my yap until I am 100% sure.

the only reason id ever run wheel spacers is to change lug pattern or correct for differences in the wms of the front and rear axles. that being said i dont see myself ever needing to do that or wanting to, per all the reasons listed.

88rockxj said:
the only reason id ever run wheel spacers is to change lug pattern or correct for differences in the wms of the front and rear axles.

im pretty sure thoes are the only reasons to run wheel spacers...

They can also be run just add add the extra width for stability. Thats' why I would run them.

XJ_ranger said:
im pretty sure thoes are the only reasons to run wheel spacers...

nope alot of people get them for a wider stance , if you want a wider stance get rims with less back spacing or wider axles.

Back