• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel opinions needed please

Cisco Kid

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I recently acquired some turbine wheels to put on my 94 XJ Sport. They were pretty oxidized when purchased so I had them glass bead blasted so that I could start with a fresh surface. Right now I have a few ideas for refinishing them but wanted to get some other opinions. Here is the heep they will be going on.

94CherokeeSport.jpg

This one is not mine but is a better picture for color comparison.

whiteXJ1.jpg

Here is an example of the wheels.

turbinewheel.jpg

So far my ideas are as follows.
1. whole wheel gloss black
2. polish the face of the spokes, outer rim, and inner ring just outside of lug holes and paint areas between spokes black or charcoal grey
3. whole wheel charcoal grey
4. face of spokes silver with black in all areas between spokes
5. face of spokes black with silver between spokes
6. all black with red in the recessed area around the outer lip to match the black and red moldings on the side of the Jeep.
7. everything in the center black with polished or silver lip around the outside

These will be going on with a brand new set of 30x9.5 BFG A/T's. Let me know what you think as I am hoping to get started on them this weekend or early next week. ;)

gunmetal w/polished faces, then clear powdercoat. It is a good looking wheel as is, I woudn't mess with it much. Might look into new hubcovers though, I think quadratec sells them

That wheel picture I posted was just for something to look at. The wheels I bought were not in near that good of condition and were going to need alot of cleaning up to even think about any sort of refinishing. What I ended up doing was having someone bead blast them to get all the old dirt, brake dust, etc. off.

Weel, after spending probably too much time thinking about this as well as talking to friends, here is what I came up with. The whole wheel was painted graphite followed by silver in between the spokes and around the outer lip. I still have to finish the other three as well as clear coat this one but it shouldn't be too long before they are done. Let me know what you guys think. ;)

DSCF0873.jpg

DSCF0875.jpg

Looks awesome !!!
Cant wait to see them fitted on the jeep.
I m planning something similar
How did you prep them ???

This is what i m thinking of :
photoshop
ResizeofIMGP1920.jpg

IMGP1824.jpg

ehall said:
nice job man, i would have left the tire stem hole alone but they still look great

That didn't get any paint on it at all because I put a bolt through the hole so that I would have something to hang the wheel with while painting. Consequently, it is still bare aluminum.

Pharaoh XJ said:
How did you prep them ???

This set of wheels I have were pretty corroded and dirty when I bought them. There is a somewhat local shop that was able to bead blast them for me so that I didn't have to spend a bunch of time cleaning them up myself. On top of that, the glass bead media leaves a real fine texture to the aluminum which should allow the paint to stick better.

Back