• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel bearing locked up

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
I was driving today and thinking, I should replace my wheel bearing today. Then I decided "I should do it now" because all of the sudden my jeep swurved to the right and made a really nast noise. So I turned around and went straight home because I wasn't too far away.

Got home, took a look at it and the wheel was barely held on and very crooked. Now this sucks cause I just decided my other winter vehicle was undriveable because of the massive oil leak it has. Well, I had to go pick someone up so I took this oil spreader for a vehicle I have and poured some old ass oil in it just so it would make it. No oil pressure, so I go buy a 5 quart jug. Put in a quart. Oil pressure back. Drive almost nowhere and it's back down to nothing. Whatever I just keep driving and pick them up. Get back home, add another 2 quarts and it's finally on the stick again. Take the jeep a part (thankfully the axle bolt broke loose with two people and a huge cheater bar) to figure out what parts I need. Jump back in the car and it has little oil pressure but oh well. Get the parts 120 for hub assembly, 33 per rotor, and 30 for some good pads.

Get home and start replacing stuff, after having to remove the new hub three times because I was being stupid and putting stuff on either backwards or not at all, I finally got it back together with new rotors and pads. Although I noticed the axle that goes into the hub is chewed up pretty good and the little flange (if that's what you call it) is gone and the seal on the back of the hub does not seal against it. I'm guessing this isn't very good, so can I just buy this out piece of the axle?

Oh boy, what a day.

Back