• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's The Name of the Radiator Bolt on Transmission Line?

fallacist

NAXJA Forum User
THIS one:

7OLGclL.jpg

My was cross threaded, and I need to replace it.

Brass flare fitting, half union flare to NPTFE. The nut is a flare nut.

Brass flare fitting, half union flare to NPTFE. The nut is a flare nut.

You're a life saver! taking it out should be easy as double nutting it, and replacing it with a fitting that already had a nut on it?

edit: i say double nut b/c this isn't my photo. My fitting is just a straight bolt with separate nut and washer, no fitting on it to wrench.

Last edited:
I'm having a little difficulty picturing what you have. What it sounds like is, that nipple sticking out is the line to the transmission heat exchanger inside the end tank of the radiator and the nut is just to hold it in place. You start trying to turn that and you are going to screw up the heat exchanger inside the end tank of the radiator and effectively turn your rad into junk.

Go down to the hardware store and buy the proper "thread file", dress the threads. Maybe buy a matching compression nut (off the tubing) just to check fit and how the threads are working, before you try to put the tubing and nut back on there.

I've noticed the position of the tubing outlets are a little different on some replacement radiators. You can gently bend that tubing to fit, being careful not to kink it. Trying to force it, using the nut to pull it up straight and tight, is likely to be a no go.

Back