• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's Next

nadler234

NAXJA Forum User
My first post, I've used NAXJA for a lot of helpful hints over the years. I'm wondering where my money would be best spent next, I've got a decent amount of work into my '00 and would like it to stay a "nice" daily driver/wheeler.

Here's what I've got:
Rough Country LA
JKS Adjustable coil spacers
231 SYE with custom driveshafts
33" MTR
Bushwacker Flares (although some have been torn off due to harder wheeling)
7.5 gal on-board air
rebuilt Dana Turdy front, 8.25 rear - stock gearing
Cheap "HD" front bumper
HID Headlight Conversion with LED's

These are the most notable mods I have done. I think my next step should be gears and a rear selectable locker, but I'd like to upgrade to a 44 front. I do not ever intend to go with tires bigger than 35's, but eventually I'd like to be locked front and rear. I think an axle swap would be a good bet, 44's would handle 35's with no problems. I am lacking in the armor department, and rather than just do sliders, I've seen some cool, functioning boat sided sliders. I'd like to do louvers, keep the underhood temps down. So if money was no object (or long term goal for this rig), my list would be:

Dana 44 front and rear - ARB front locker & Detroit rear, 4.56 or 4.88 gears
Boat sided rocker guards, skid plates
HD T-case - Chain, upgraded ratio
Rebuild my motor - It's strong but has 230,xxx miles now
HD OTK Steering - Box bracing, recommendations for hydro assist??
LED Metal Taillight housing - Recommendations??
Front Winch Bumper w good winch
Rear bumper/tire carrier
CB and HAM radio
Hood Louvers

Possibly a cage- I don't really like the Exo stuff and don't want to give up interior space but I want to be safe and have a functional rig

Any recommendations for where to go next? I think that just writing this down gives me a good idea where to go from here. Axles, then steering, then armor, then all the other little things.

Side note- I used to turn wrenches and would love to get involved with helping some folks out, maybe a weekly wrenching group? I think that could be fun and beneficial. Also, how do I change my avatar to a custom one!!?

Steering box plate and a brace
frame stiffeners atleast the middle
gears and lockers possibly a simply shaft upgrade ...keep your 30/8.25...Selectable lockers would be best ARB or Yukon .
A cheap prefab inner cage like D&C will provide the basic safety you need and stiffen up the unibody better than any plating will do alone and it can be removed and put in anothe XJ .

Got a winch ?...should be on the list ...recovery gear ...fire extinguisher...tools...full size spare .

Things like beefing up your 231 are not even comming to the top of the list my 231 below with 32 spline SYE no big chain no 6 planet gear set .

DSC01625.jpg

Steering box plate and brace for sure, is there a certain manufacturer that you prefer? My thought with unibody stiffeners is to incorporate that into sliders, given that most sliders do not add that much if any extra support.

nadler234 said:
Also, how do I change my avatar to a custom one!!?
For that you have to pony up some cash and become either a Forum Supporter, or a Forum Member:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/announcement.php?f=34&a=53

http://www.naxja.org/html/membership_faq.htm

If you are contemplating dumping a bunch of money into your XJ, membership will get discounts with many(?) of the sponsors. If you are contemplating full membership, we have a membership drive during the month of March.

Steering box plate and brace for sure, is there a certain manufacturer that you prefer? My thought with unibody stiffeners is to incorporate that into sliders, given that most sliders do not add that much if any extra support.

C-rok and a rustys bolt on brace or you can custom your own .I have the c-rok and a bolt on brace and have added some stuff to this . it's proabably easier to just do the rail plating and weld up the sliders to that instead of trying to build it as a unit then install it ... these items are not hard to make or install ,but can be cumbersome and time consuming shops will take that off your hands ,but you will be better off taking the time to install and make some stuff yourself as some chump change items can cost hundreds even a grand to install...full frame stiffeners will run you about $800 for install plus parts ,which is fair considering the time involved labor wise ,but it's brainless monkey labor , and later on you'll kick yourself being lazy and paying for that kind of labor when the cash can go elsewhere . I would buy the centers as it saves time shaping to your rail ,but the front and rears are just outside plates and those are easy to make with and angle grinder .

Just remember you don't get much return on money put into this ,so just remember that before getting in to deep .

Back