• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats my Jeep worth?

Alex E

NAXJA Forum User
OK...so I've been exercising the idea of getting a new JK Rubicon Unlimited. I've have my reasons, its not set in stone but I'm just exercising the thought. If I do get one I'll probably be selling my entire XJ as a running rig, complete with winch and hi lift. So far its got D30 with 4.56's and a lunch box, D44 with a Detroit and 4.56's, Tera Low 4:1, Novak shifter, 2Lo and SYE, 6.5 inch lift, Rustys sliders (pretty legit, 27 mounting bolts per side and tie into leave spring box), 5 MT/Rs that have tons of tread left only a year old and are mounted on Pro Comp Aluminum wheels, roof rack, hi lift and mount, AX-15 that was rebuilt earlier this year, rebuilt 4.0 from 18 months ago, custom bumpers front and rear, Warn M8000 with hard wired **** pit controls, I've done all kinds of maintenance, replaced the distributor, deleted the C101, to much to list, its got Brown Dog motor mounts, Viair 2.5 gallon tank with constant duty OBA for up to 37 inch tires mounted where the stock air box is, the air box was replaced with the Spectrum cowl intake system and it is CARB legal on the Renix, the Jeep it self is pretty good condition, its an 87 4 door, the body has 290k but its pretty well taken care of but yes its old and yes its been wheeled. Not sure what else to list but I know I'm forgetting stuff.

Its the white XJ in my blog...http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1072910&highlight=bloggity+blog

Oh yeah, its got Currie steering and its flipped, I also put in a reman steering box a few years ago, honestly I drive it EVERY WHERE and I'm a mechanic so mechanically its pretty sound. Its got a bomb proof rear diff guard and a Rustys front diff skid. The roof and interior is all lined with sound proofing/insulation and it has vinyl flooring through out. Over the years I've replaced most of the sensors, all the cooling system hoses and its got an aluminum pressure bottle. JKS mini skids and more...holy crap I've done a lot??? haha:eyes:

Last edited:
Its also got drop brackets and fully adjustable upper and lower control arms. Hella H4 conversion, I have rear ZJ disk brakes sitting in a box ready to be installed, it also has shackle boxes and new shocks on it. Stainless steel lines...

Last edited:
d ballpark with all the rigs I have tracked on craigslist over the last 6 years and all of the ones ive bought, worked on, in the 2550-4500 range. i wouldnt pay more than 3000 for it, id try to get it as close to 2000 as possible, but you can find guys to pay more if you sit and wait.

1987 renix Xj
rebuilt motor and tranny
4.56 gears, locked, 30/44 - Any chromos and spares or just stockers
4:1
6.5" lift on drop brackets and shackle relocation brackets.
currie steering
is the rear bumper a tire carrier bumper?

im assuming 35s?
extras:
OBA
brown dog motor mounts

questions?
chromos front and rear?
stiffeners?
how good is the exterior?
it passes CA smog no problem?
reg is current?
bored throttle body? headers?
spare axle shafts and driveshafts, steering, etc?
steering box plating and bracing?
cooling system upgrades other than hoses or bottle or does it cool just fine under all conditions?

id ballpark with all the rigs I have tracked on craigslist over the last 6 years and all of the ones ive bought, worked on, in the 2500-4500 range.

ive bought more built DD xjs in that shape for around 2000, but that does not mean you cannot get 4000$ out of it if you wait around.

My 92 had 140k, rear tire carrier bumper, front bumper, roofrack, all RE lift on drop brackets, sliders, SYE, 4.10s, 44 rear/ARB with compressor to air up tires attachment with mark williams chromos, #) front with posi and 4.10s, ABS shafts, skids, HD covers, 140K with newer clutch, headers, bored throttle body, great interior, smogged with like 0 emissions, reg'd, and smogged, and I couldnt get 4200$ for it, so I parted it. OTK steering, all brand new steering and steering box, all new brakes, all sensors brand new, tune up all new, tons fo new stuff under the hood, rear discs, spare shafts and DSs, 2 door , spd, regd, smogged, I paid 2000 out the door for it and DD it. id say your used 4:1 adds 500$ value. Ive seen alot of 4:1s sell for 350-600 used. winch bumper + winch adds 350-550. Id say

probably better off parting it out if you are concerned with cash, probably get closer to 4500 -5500 if you part it.

EDIT:
just ran all the numbers for what you said it has, I would say you could get 4500-4600
parting it, youd be waiting a while to sell everything though.

Last edited:
Its just on 33s actually. No rear tire carrier but I have a heavy duty tire carrier kit bran new in box ready to be fabbed up. I have tons of extra parts for it. Lots of glass, motor mounts, unit hubs, grill, spare turn signals and stuff like that. I've found with any project you add up all the parts divide by half and thats market value of the vehicle. Basically there is no value on the Jeep so if you have 10k in parts its worth 5 or so. At least thats my rule of thumb...

Im on the very low ball end of the spectrum though. Personally, I would try to start at like 4500$ with the thing, and slowly work my way down on price over time as you feel comfortable. I wouldnt go any lower than 2500 on it, unless you are just desperate for a quick sale (no where to park it, need money for a down payment, etc)

the only issue is seasonality. It is a bad time of the year to try to sell a built XJ since they are usually a toy for someone. Ideally is during and after tax time up to mid summer. fall and winter are always the hardest time for me to sell parts and or an entire jeep.

Yeah, I wouldnt sell it for that cheap. Id part it out before I let it go for 2500 if thats all I could get. I dont need to sell it but Id rather sell it and my newer Mustang for a healthy down on a JK. I've got about 5 people interested in it so I'll see how this goes. My other option is I've got tons of spare parts so I could part out the nice stuff and still sell my Jeep as a running vehicle.

partial part outs are always a viable option. ive helped a guy do a partial before, pretty much sell all the bolt ons, possibly even sell the axles and swap in stockers, and still get around 2500$ for a lifted, smogged, and regd jeep but make money on the sliders, bumpers, axles, steering, good lift parts (sell drops and put on stock arms possibly) sell 4:1 with sye for a stock case, etc etc and end up making more than you wanted.

yah run a handfull of scenarios in excel real quick. I usually base everything off a very conservative expected case lately since the used XJ parts market is practically dead, so hard to sell used XJ parts in the last year so prices have been dropping like flies.

On a side subject you ever checked out used JK prices? They are retardedly expensive. Apparently they have the 3rd best resale value out of all used cars, I was searching and searching and decided to go new. The interior is way nicer, I can break it in how I like and for the slight increase in purchase price I could get a better APR on a new car VS used and barely pay more monthly VS a used JK. I've done the math and I'm sold for the most part. Plus having a nice, new 4 door I can wheel, take on road trips and feel safe with a family in it would be nice. My XJ is streetable but once I have kids I'd want something newer with air bags and all that and my Mustang would suck for a family car.

ya ive checked them out alot. you can occasionally find a built up used one on CL for a good price, low to mid 20,000s.

my plan is to find a wreched one with a good drive train on co-part.com , they would probably sell for a fraction of new, but youll need to spend some time on body work and potentiall replacing axles and suspension, but aftermarket jk stuff is all over CL, like fenders, bumpers, sliders, quarter panel protection, soft tops, etc. then axles, then lift parts if thats all fubar.

wow the brand new ones are like the same damn price as the used ones, thats nuts, ya might as well go new, you can get a regular one for 25,000, or a Rubicon for like 30,000. either way its a ton of money, but id rather have a front hp44 and a 4:1 if im gonna go that nuts anyway.

They are pretty set up, 4:1, push button electronic sway bar disco, front and rear lockers, D44's, 32s, 4:10s, 285 hp, WARRANTY and so on. Yeah I know the New Generation 44's arent the best but I wheel hard but drive conservative. Not saying I wont break anything but they should suite me well for a while. The cool thing is a 4 inch lift fits 37's on stock fenders, I dig that! My whole deal is I could get a new XJ but the newest one would be an 01...which is still 12, almost 13 years old. Lets say I got an ultra low mile one thats a 5 speed, if I even found one, after I swapped everything over I'd want to long arm it, use my springs, and so on...not to mention redo all the cooling system hoses and all kinds of maintenance to make it "like new". I love driving every where, I've been to Moab, wheeled in Washington close to Canada and I go to Nevada and SoCal semi regularly. I maintain my current Jeep really well and its treated me well but a gently used 12 year old 01 would be a nice down payment. For me, I'd rather get something new that I can enjoy for 10 years and it will still be 2 years newer the the newest XJ is today.

Yeah I know the New Generation 44's arent the best but I wheel hard but drive conservative.

Actually the next gen 44s have the biggest ring and pinion to date for a hp44. I know you are referring the tubes, but you can sleeve the tubes , truss it, and knuckle gussets for almost nothing, then it will be very strong. and ruffstuff covers. then down the road add RCVs up front and some chromos in the back and call it done. Id say you'd have a pretty sweet setup, but no need to do all that stuff right away either.

...The cool thing is a 4 inch lift fits 37's on stock fenders,
ive seen a dude fit 37s on a 3" lift on a JK no problem, and I bet a 2" BB and some trimming would do it also.

I bet a stock JK Rubicon would go almost any where my current Jeep goes. Nice thing about XJ's is their ground clearance and transmission are tucked up nicely. Not to mention a JK unlimited has almost a foot longer wheel base then an XJ IIRC. That's a high center waiting to happen if you ask me. Luckily 35s or 37s fit easy, first thing I'd do is get sliders and bumpers to preserve the body, lol. Scratches don't bother me but I can't stand dented panels. XJs are nice though, they are such an ideal size to get out in the woods with some gear and wheel around with. Pros and cons to both though.

selectable lockers, 44s front and rear, a 4:1, 4.10s, and 32s aint bad at all as a starting platform. Plus a 2" BB and youll be able to clear the 35-36" range . Id say its pretty sweet. I thought the rubis came with mopar sliders? CL is full of bumpers

It is a good starting point and yeah they have Rubi Sliders. Pretty solid but they dont offer much protection on the doors. I've found wheeling and getting flexed out or rocked over sideways having the little bars that stick out and kick up at an agle provide that little extra buffer.

Just for fun here is a word cloud of this thread

ScreenShot2012-12-19at43132PM_zpsef4c0a91.png

Back