• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what would you do? part 2

xjoe

NAXJA Forum User
Thank you for the input on my previous post.

So you guys have me thinking now... I do like the idea of finding a Ford hp44 and cutting it down to use waggy axles.It seems that the hp44/waggy axles would be easier and less expensive to find.

If I was gonna find a hp44 from a wrecker,have a shop do the cutting and welding,what would be the ideal candidate.Is it a pipe dream to find a axle that has manual hubs&discs that can be welded to? So to you axle guru's if you have a starting point for me I will start looking.

So just to reiterate,
I have a 87 xj 4.0,AW4,6.5"lift,longarms(radius)dana30/44w/4.56's locked f/r currently running 33's.I want to run 36' irocs. The obvious reasons I want a 44 are so that I can gain strenght & get lower gears.I want to do this right,
so If I have to take my time and build this axle piece by piece and as my
budjet permits,so be it.Again I appreciate any input or comments.
Thanks,
Xjoe
Also does any one have any opinions or first hand knowledge, on why a regular rotatation waggy wouldn't wouldnt work.I may have bad info but I
have read somewhere that a waggy44 is near the strenght of a hp30,so it isn't a real upgrsde other than being able to run lower gears.

Last edited:
davelbert said:
You'll need a much bigger axle to run a 36 foot tire! Maybe a Terex from the local pic n pull
Yeah your probably right I'll have to run at least a dana 30/35 combo to run36'tire.Alright I know I'm not the only one who makes an occasional error,I geuss there is a big difference between a 36"/36' tire LOL Thanks,xjoe

Last edited:
pipe dream to find a hp d44 with discs and manual hubs? nope -

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

got one myself - waiting to go in... if only i had time... and $$$

if you are thinking a waggy front end and warry of gear strength - PM BrettM and ask him how his is working - he seems to like it...

a waggy is a great upgrade - true high steer, lower gears, manual hubs (with serviceable bearings), and a stronger housing...

just a low pinion...

::shrug::
do what you will...

JEONLYEP said:
76, 77 ford f-100, f-150. I think the same year bronco's will be the same.

Have disks, manual hubs, and welded on radius arm mounts (removeable)

Daryl

some of the 77's have been known to be cast mounts...

just be wary of that...

Thanks, I really apreciate it. I am going to look around some local wreckers and see what I can find.I'll check on that waggy too.I'm not afraid of doing some foot work or searching,I just kind of wanted to get a starting point and I know that some of you guys have done this swap.I appreciate the help.

Checked all the local wreckers,only found a 74 hpw/drums & a 82 waggy. Checked with some of the bigger wreckers in the greater seattle area and found a few.They want like $650 for the hp44's & $400 for the waggys complete. I might just have to grab that 82 waggy,lets say I could get it for $100,it's complete Hub to hub and less than what the big wreckers want(a lot less).

Again what would you do?I am really after the obvious benifits,bigger brakes, stronger housing,lower gears and manual hubs.At this point,if $$ wasn't an issue I'd I'd get a sixty and build it or call currie or one of those guys.I think that I can build a reasonably reliable waggy 44 for less than I could build a hp44. Anyways thanks for any and comments and suggestions,xjoe

xjoe said:
I might just have to grab that 82 waggy,lets say I could get it for $100,it's complete Hub to hub and less than what the big wreckers want(a lot less).

Again what would you do?I am really after the obvious benifits,bigger brakes, stronger housing,lower gears and manual hubs.At this point,if $$ wasn't an issue I'd I'd get a sixty and build it or call currie or one of those guys.I think that I can build a reasonably reliable waggy 44 for less than I could build a hp44. Anyways thanks for any and comments and suggestions,xjoe
go for it

plenty o people run LP d44's...

the 82 will have the drivers drop that you are looking for, and with lift the pinion should be clocked high enough to get it out of the way -

dive in!

Go full width. Waste of money to do all that work, and not go full width.

3437788723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E2346%3D9%3B6%3D466%3DXROQDF%3E23238373%3A4584ot1lsi

Back