• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What was that?!

RichP said:
OK, I've had my 5 speed do it when I've been too lazy to downshift

Yeah, I've felt that often enough with a stick. This is very close to that in feel. Of course, I've only felt this bump-bump-bump once, so far. What's got tranny in my mind is that it seemed to happen right at the 'down shift now?' decision point as the Jeep loaded up with light throttle on the up-hill. Real close in feel to the 'time to down shift' bump.

RichP said:
but when the gas is low it literally dies for 1-2 seconds, usually uphill and going round a corner.

I've done that with an old Plymouth I had at college. The gas tank was so big and flat, trying to stretch the last penny out of the tank it would gasp like that if I tromped it too hard: cut out then catch again as the fuel settled back down on the pick up. This bump-bump-bump was not that.

Could be the converter is cofused or even te TPS or TV keeping it in the wrong gear too long (both my 88 and my 96 down shift fairly early when the throttle is applied). I've seen almost exactly the same thing happen on various vehicles for various reasons.
Most times it was running lean. because of a filter, a fuel pump or the O2 sensor. Or it was timing, because of a faulty TPS or a worn distributor and/or timing chain.
It's probably running lean, but it's also possible the timing isn`t retarding enough.
Running lean usually shows up during low vacuum, with the throttle applied mostly open and the RPM's low to mid range. But also shows up again near red line. A tip off is bone white plugs after short to moderate trips, when the plugs are commonly sooted up a bit.
Bucking can also be from timing, either something mechanical or a sensor input. Even poor fuel (very low octane).
Ignition is also a possibility, the motor misses a few beats and then the left over fuel ignites on the next round. Ignition often shows up as a crappy idle and then again at higher RPM's when the spark starts to break down. You can feel the motor rythm breaking down, not like with fuel, when it just kind of dies.
My Renix was doing almost the exact same thing, it took me awhile to figure it out. But your OBD I with the stored (hopefully) codes may be a big help.

luvme88xj said:
three armadilo's

10101975.jpg
??? :D

I had an 88 with a problem like that. It ended up being one of the ignition (bad speller) wires had shorted out and was not firing. Turned out to be a pretty easy fix. I would check that first.

And now, for the official majic 8-ball diagnosis:

shakey-shakey-shakey.....BING!:confused1

The firewall ground wire is coming loose. :thumbup:

You can thank me later. - I accept paypal :D

Ridr said:
but does your magic ball say why it only comes loose going uphill ? :)

shakey-shakey-shakey.....BING!

Uh....time for a nap.:speepin: :D

RTicUL8 said:
And now, for the official majic 8-ball diagnosis:

shakey-shakey-shakey.....BING!:confused1

The firewall ground wire is coming loose. :thumbup:

You can thank me later. - I accept paypal :D

I didn't see "Bottle of Shiner Bock" as a payment option at Paypal. I'm afraid I don't deal in cash - just barter. You can come by and pick it up any time :kissyou:

I had an old Plymouth with a broken right motor mount. When the engine reared up it stretched the ground strap across the heater hoses until the strap broke. When the engine fell back down the loose end of the ground strap, draped across the rubber heater hoses, fell down onto the engine block. Viola! Ignition is back. Up goes the motor (and the heater hoses) lifting the strap off the block. Back down comes the motor, dropping the strap back onto the block. It did that four times before I found the sense to take my foot out of the throttle. At idle it just sat there and purred. Touch the throttle and it's back to the PBR finals - YeeHaw!

An intermittant fault somewhere is still in the running.

the cps can do this......mine would cause it just like you cut switch then right back on....usually when hitting a bump......;unplugged and cleaned contacts and packed with dielectric no problems last six months

Couldn't hurt to check that out. I replaced mine last year ,it went out in Dairy Queens drive thru (talk about a crappy place to die LOL) but I really didn't clean things up too much

Back