• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What size bolt for idler pulley?

88 Wagonman

NAXJA Forum User
I need to know the size and thread pitch to Heli-coil the stripped threads on the aluminum bracket. It's a 91 w\ 4.0 HO. Thanks for the help!

Just as an option you could upgrade to the newer style power steering bracket and pump pully that relocates the idler pully to the power steering bracket and turns the idler into a belt tensioner.

Just as an option you could upgrade to the newer style power steering bracket and pump pully that relocates the idler pully to the power steering bracket and turns the idler into a belt tensioner.
What years did they offer that option? Any pics? I might upgrade later, but right now all the pic a part type junk yards only have 93 and older, and all the other junk yards charge WAY too much. The thread appears to be a 10mm x 1.50 according to the parts store.

96+ had the new tensioning system.

You wouldn't necessarily need a new power steering pump or pully (at least I don't think you would). The 96+ pumps have two holes in the pully so you can access the mounting bolts behind the pully.

I haven't done it yet. I bought a 99 intake, and a newer power steering pump and bracket. I have yet to install all 3. Waiting on getting a spare exhaust manifold welded up that I had lying around so I can replace my cracked one as well at the same time, as well as replace the intake/exhaust gasket, and replace my valvecover gasket and swap on the 1997 valvecover I also have sitting under the work bench. Alot of improvements to work on!

Another option would be getting the air conditioning/fan bracket for your vehicle. just bolts to the block.

4 bolts to remove the ac compressor at the junkyard, and unbolt the mechanical fan from the built in bearings in the bracket. Then just swap it over to your rig and the idler pully hole threads shouldn't be stripped. Sounds like a better option for you with local yards stocking older vehicles? I guess it really depends on how quickly you need it up and running!

Back