• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What lift for 31" tires?

It sucks how their bad rep from years ago has followed them til now. I gave them another shot and I am happy with their products.

Maybe if his customer service was better I wouldn't mind ordering again. Like I said, I wasn't upset about the part breaking, or him not fixing/sending me another one. I was mad that he just sat on my broken part for so long keeping my only means of transportation down.

No.

Really all you need are coil spacers, and longer shackles. Longer shocks wouldn't hurt either.

After that, get an alignment and be done.

I agree whole heartedly with this. Get a couple 2" coil spacers from Teraflex - ($50 for the set), go to the pull a part and grab some longer shackles from a Dodge Ram ($5 for the set), and look on Craigslist or a local Jeep forum where JK owners lurk and find a set of the Rubicon Red top shocks from a lift kit take off (I got mine for $5 a shock). In and out with 2 inches of lift for $75.

Let him decide how much off road he's going to end up doing first, then upgrade in 6 months or a year if need be. Can't really miss with a budget lift for under $100 to get things started.

That will fit a 31" with no problems and you won't really need to deal with SYE, transfer case drops, control arms, trackbars, or any of that.

Oh, if he is going to do some hunting where it is possible he's going to get into mud, I would invest in a set of front tow hooks and a cheap rear hitch receiver, just so he has tug points in case they are needed.

Maybe if his customer service was better I wouldn't mind ordering again. Like I said, I wasn't upset about the part breaking, or him not fixing/sending me another one. I was mad that he just sat on my broken part for so long keeping my only means of transportation down.

You do realize how long ago 2007 was, right? A lot can change in 7 years.

If it were your only means of transportation why not get a new bracket? 2 month is a long time to say " I'll just continue to wait and see what happens". Doesnt much make sense to me.

Thanks everyone for their input. It has really helped me decide what I want.

I also would like to apologize to Rusty's Off Road for all the bashing that was generated from this thread.

I am running a 4.5" and 31" Dick Cepek Fun Country IIs. I would not go smaller than a 4.5 if you want to have flex and not destroy your fenders.

IMG_2832_zps8d40792a.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input. It has really helped me decide what I want.

I also would like to apologize to Rusty's Off Road for all the bashing that was generated from this thread.

And what did you decide on?

(and 31's at 3.5" won't destroy fenders, if you were at all concerned)

I ended up getting a good deal on a 3" Trail Master kit that included lower control arms, coil springs and add a leaf in the rear with new shocks. It rides a little rough but all in all he and I are satisfied. I did have to drop the transfer case down an inch to clear up a drive shaft vibration. Fuel mileage dropped more than I had expected. Down to 13 from 17. Wish I had 3:73 gears instead of 3:55.

Fuel mileage dropped more than I had expected. Down to 13 from 17. Wish I had 3:73 gears instead of 3:55.

Are you hand calculating and adjusting for the larger tire size?

I ran a 2" budget boost with spacers and shackles, with 31's on my '96. They rubbed on the front LCAs and the front inner fender flares. After about a year, the stock leafs started sagging pretty badly and the tires were wearing through my rear fender flares. I swapped out the BB for a full leaf replacement, 3" kit from Rough Country (another company that has some bad stories from the past, but I have had excellent experience with) and all is well.

I'm glad you guys went with the full lift instead of the budget kit. Keep an eye on the rear springs, though. I've read about the add a leaf setups sagging after varying amounts of time. I would also suggest an adjustable trackbar. Some people might say it's overkill, but even a lift as little as three inches will pull the axles out of alignment a little.

Are you hand calculating and adjusting for the larger tire size?

Unfortunately yes. I calculated everything out hoping to find an era but it 13. I even tried airing the tires up to bricks but it didn't help. Just noticed the head gasket seeping on the passenger side. So, I guess I need to save more money for that repair!

Run in 3 instead of od. The tc will still lock up as usuall but your rpms will be better on the highway. Just try it for a tank and see. It will be like having 4.10s and 31s on the freeway. Your average should pop back up. Just be sure (reguardless of shifter possition) that you are giving extra grace to the excelerator pedal from a stop. The longer you hold first gear is the worst mileage you will get. Like 3mpg or worse. Be real gentle until it shifts to second then excellerate normally. Ive had a good amount of practice hypermiling a 5.9 3500 ram van.

I would not go larger than 31s"; it can be done on stock gearing and wheels.
I would, and did, invest in OME springs and then determine if you need a SYE to maintain a vibration free rear.
Call Dirk at OPG (search it), he is of great counsel and also sells sh--. You want a factory-LIKE RIDE WITH A LITTLE LIFT.
Either new springs or a budget 2" spacer in front and shackle/leaf in the rear. Not as good as new springs. Search places like Rusty's to see very mixed reviews.

Once you rise past 31" it is a all new ballgame of regearing, trimming, steering, etc. parts, etc.
You can do most of it yourself (maybe not a SYE), depending on you and a few hand tools.
Good luck.

Back