• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kinda TV do you have?

imma honky

NAXJA Forum User
Well?
I gots a puny 27" old school (no RCA jacks either). I was at BB tonight looking at some of the 32" flatscreens (the pic looks damn nice). Are the 32" worth the money? Or should I just save up, say f-it and get a projector.

I saw a 35" for sale for $299 the other day at Best Buy IIRC, and it came with a cheap dvd player.

we just got a sony 55" hd and man is it purdy. dont even know how i watched a movie on my 20"

I have a 36" JVC I bought about 4 years ago, want to upgrade to atleast a 47" or 52". The prices keep coming down every month so it is a tough decision, especially for someone as scottish as I am. I flat out hate seeing something I bought 6 months ago sell for half of what I paid for it....
Do some searching online. Some practical things though from my setup. I built a an 8ft long by 5ft high by 26" deep entertainment center and don't want to part with it so I need a table top type [NOT going to pay the kind of money they want for flat panel]. My buddy has a 65" Pioneer Elite, he's had it since around 2000, it is a projection and it is only one of several he has owned over the years. He's a stickler, he's having the color guns replaced pretty soon and with the ones he had before this he would have them tuned up every year. That was an aspect of projection TV's that I was not aware of. I was looking at a few of the flat panels at Sams club the other week when I was stocking up on UPS's and the 52" I was looking at, Toshiba EDTV, was $1900. I will admit it was tempting but you'd be reading about me in the news as the 6'5" husband that was beat to death by his 5'4" wife with it....

56" RCA. :D Got an '85 vintage 27" in the garage, still works like it was brand new. 13" sony in my bedroom...

New sales at best buy come out tomorrow. I will take another gander then. Oh yeah, I don't mean projection tv, I mean a projector (the one you play ona screen for about 5-7k) That way I can get whatever size I want!
I currently can't go any bigger than a 37" (my room is too small!). Which is why I'm looking at 32" flats for my room. Do they have tv's with a fiber connection?

32" Sony Wega in the livingroom and 20" Panasonic in the bedroom.

My friend's 52" HD Hitachi Ultavision Widescreen has been catching my eye though. :D

Last edited:
All I can say is LCD. We have a 17" LCD in the bedroom and a 42" plasma in the living room and the LCD is SO clear. Last time I checked the biggest they made was around a 35" or so. I heard they were coming out with bigger ones though. But they are so clear I don't think you would need one much bigger than 35"

imma honky said:
New sales at best buy come out tomorrow. I will take another gander then. Oh yeah, I don't mean projection tv, I mean a projector (the one you play ona screen for about 5-7k) That way I can get whatever size I want!
I currently can't go any bigger than a 37" (my room is too small!). Which is why I'm looking at 32" flats for my room. Do they have tv's with a fiber connection?

The fiber or toslink is generally used for sound not video. Inputs are generally digital or DVI, Coax and Svideo, Svideo looks kind of like a PS 2 connector.I would not pay any more than about $350 for a 32inch normal square tv, you can get a 32 CRT HDTV for around $600-700...
As for one of the projection tv's, the kind you use in say a meeting to do presentations with, research it first, the bulbs are freakin expensive and have a lifetime of like 500 hours... You can buy factory refurbs from tiger and a few others but keep in mind you will need a PC with a tuner card to control it, all of those units I've seen like that are JUST a projector and do nothing more than a monitor does. Friend and former co worker bought one a couple of years ago, he's on his second bulb and the bulb for it was $650.... One third of the price of the unit...

I've got an 55" PHILLIPS BIG SCREEN. I have had it for 5 years... NEVER HAD TO CHANGE ANY BULBS OR HAVE IT ADJUSTED OR ANYTHING... I paid $900 for it at Best Buy in 1999 or early 2000. It was an "OPEN BOX" item and didn't come with a remote.

I really like the big screen... I also have a 32" LCD TV and honestly for the price of it $4700, compared to my old 55", I honestly don't think the price difference is worth the better quality...

While the LCD is crystal clear, I don't notice enough of a difference to justify the $4700 price tag... I think I paid more for "cutting edge" technology...

Basically I like a really big TV and while the picture isn't as crisp as say an HD tv, The HUGE SCREEN makes up for loss of quality... I really like the big screen and when I rent or buy movies I always end up watching them on the big screen rather than the 32"... (and the 32" is in the bedroom and big screen is in the familyroom.)

ECKSJAY said:
i wish mine was, sure its big as hell, but just not manyy colors

Didn't read the whole thread...

27" Flat glass LCD Phillips...well worth the $500 it ran me about four years ago.

LCD is nice and all, but check out the range of view on the particular model you get first. Flat CRT is a great way to go though, that's all I run.

Projectors would be great except:
expensive
bulb life means viewing cost could be about $1/hour
it has to be dark
need a nice white wall
constant hum of a fan

I've got the Hitachi UltraVison Cineform 50" projection TV, it is said to be one of the best projection TVs on the market right now. It's a badass picture. However, I only had it for 3 weeks and it decided to take a crap. Luckily I actually bought the extended warranty and after a repair man checked it out, Circuit City glady exchanged it for a new one with no problems at all. I've only had this newest one for two days, hopefully it lasts a little longer. But I still have 5 more years of warranty. :)

None. They're evil. :firedevil

RTicUL8 said:
None. They're evil. :firedevil

LOL I couldn't stand them much except for the occasional PBS show... until 10 days ago when we got hooked to the dish. I still find time to read, but there is some interesting stuff on there - when the ads aren't playing.

Our 4-5 yr old RCA 27" is plenty clear plugged into the DVD or the dish, but was a PIA just to get it semi-clear with rabbit ears. We contemplated upgrading once we got the satt, but we don't need to.

We have a 65" Mitsubishi. Love it, great picture no mater where you are in the living room. My previous Mitsubishi projection lasted 12 years with no bulb replacment or other work.

Back