• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kinda oil is everyone running?

What I use

Wix or napa filter (same just depends on where I get it) I used a bosch filter last time but for the sake of your engine stay away from bargan filters like fram stp etc they are all crap!

5 quarts delvac 15w-40 diesel spec oil (its a 15k Mile oil for big rigs) and the rest is
Lucas oil stabilizer

Champion spark plugs eiter the resistor or truck plug what ever is in stock right now I've got the resistors

Wires cap and rotor are all napa's house brand no sence in spending more for nothing more

Like its been said new oils are lacking what our engines need and the diesel stuff is closest to it with out paying a arm and a leg for special blends, my heep didn't like the full synthetics and the extra cost didn't help either.
If your oil is super dirty or gritty feeling use some seafoam in the oil and it should clean it up in a few hundered miles you'll need to change it again

Something worth noting though is that once you go syntehtic you should never go back. So keep that in mind the next time your short on cash and dont want to pay the extra bucks for synthetic once its already in your engine. I run Castrol 10W30 or 10W40 in all my cars since I was 16. Never had a problem and never will as far as Im concerned.
The thing I was told about synthetics is that they are not a "true" synthetic. The "real" synthetic stuff is like 60 bucks a quart and is used for racing applications.
The normal stuff you buy at an auto parts store should work fine. I've ran everything from the cheapest house brand oil to some full synthetic stuff in my Jeep without problem. Now, I wouldn't switch from full synthetic to house oil after every change, but I don't think any harm would be done if it was done once or twice. If anything just to be sure, I'd just go from syn-half syn-conventional just to be safe, but I don't think anything would happen. This is all personal preference though and from my experience with my Jeep 4.0L. It could be completely different with say, a Jag engine.

MOPAR filter, MOPAR low ash 15w40... I change it when ever I remeber, usually well after the 3k mark.

If you run synthetic, look into some ZINC additive... your cam and lifters will thank you

Ok thanks but now I am a little confused lol just playin

A lot of us are running thicker oil 20W50 to slow/stop drips and or raise low oil pressure (me), but if your pressure is good and you aren't leaking all over the driveway you should be able to get away with 10W40...

I am still scared to try synthetic oil in my jeep engines...

Depending on price/where I can get the filter depends. Mostly use Napa Gold (same as Wix), then Bosch if I go for the VATOzone special but found a place semi-local that sells Hastings Filters For under 8$. Donaldson makes Hastings, Baldwin, and Amsoil filters.
I use Amsoil AMO.. its 10W-40 with added ZDDP, which is what out XJ's need. I have used other Amsoil fluids with no Issues, but this helps. Some places carry Amsoil, most do not.
For the Full syn. oils that are pretty much everywhere, I recommend Valvoline SynPower (has added ZDDP as well) and Pennzoil Platinum

I use Amsoil AMO.. its 10W-40 with added ZDDP, which is what out XJ's need.
I have heard this a few times but I don't think Mobil 1 has it and when I had my engine apart (it's been run on Mobil 1 since I have had it) there were no unusual signs of wear on the cam or lifters. Maybe Mobil 1 has some kind of similar additive :dunno:

I switched to Castrol Edge 10-30 jeep runs great, I get it at wal mart usaly on sale for 21.xx for a 5 quart jug. Then pick up a K&N oil filter. For the AX-15 Redline oil is the only way to go, shifts so much better! I got the same motor oil in my accord in 5-30 and I put 8-10k mi on it before I change it. I drive 500 freeway miles a week. This time I got a oil test kit, that they send you a bottle and after XX amount of miles you want, send it in and they tell you a full oil analsys. http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ they send you the test kit for free, then think it 25 or 30 bucks. But I wanna test out how much life this oil has left after 8k miles on it.

Castrol Edge, Think with your dipstick Jimmy!

Back