• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is wrong with lift

suprz

NAXJA Forum User
i have always wanted to get a 1.5 or 2 in lift for my xj but i dont feel like spending 600 bucks of more for the lift. I liked what i saw on rocky road website but have read alot of bad things about them on this site. so what are my options? I dont go wheeling and i just like the look of a lifted xj so what should i do? i am not a mechanic and dont feel like going to a junkyard and going that route. i dont mind helping out a mechanic friend of mine to put the lift on, but this is a daily driver and a part time tow vehicle, so am i asking to much?

Not at all. I think that you should go with a spacer in the front, and either new rear leaf springs, add-a leafs or a new shackle for the rear.

Chris

If your leaf springs are sagging i'd reccomend replacing those. If your rear end is fine put a spacer on it or maybe find some nice new ones for a nice price. For the front you can get some zj V8 front coils which will give you about an inch. If you want some more than that then you can put a coil spacer on it. I've heard that Rocky Road's customer service is no good. I ordered an ARB snorkel from them and the only problem i had with them was getting it shipped from Australia. No big deal but i've heard some stories that would stray me away from them. You can get some OME coil springs and leaf springs from Rocky Road for $225 plus shipping for a 2 inch lift. You don't need shocks for that little of a lift (unless you need new shocks).

Just my .02

Try Rough Country, I am really happy with my 3" lift and their prices are very reasonable, full 3" lift with new shocks, longer front coils and AAL rear is less than $250. Or if you want to do your own, you could probably put together some coil spacers and shackles from eBay for pretty cheap. RC sells their 1.5" - 2" adjustable shackles for $45 on their eBay store.

I have a 2" similar to rocky road. Blocks and coil spacers. I am more than happy with it and it was a simple, quick install. Was able to fit 31x10.5's.
IMG_0079.jpg

thanks for all the replies! would these lifts be ok for towing? (spacers and shackles) i read about negative arc :confused1 spring bending or something like that....

suprz said:
thanks for all the replies! would these lifts be ok for towing? (spacers and shackles) i read about negative arc :confused1 spring bending or something like that....[/quote

Towing should be fine. Also, if you didn't know, you should have your front end aligned after you install the lift. Your front tires will be towed in slightly.

Last edited:
The first lifting that I did on my JEEP was the 2" BB from Rocky Road.
I had zero problems with them or the install. The instructions were spot on.
I added BPE's to lengthen the shocks just a little. Factory will be fine, expecially
if you do not wheel or disconnect.

Hey NWAP do you have any more pictures of your jeep. im about to do a 2" lift on my '01 (this spring) and am really curious what its going to look like. i'm only going to be running 30" tires though.

I did the 2"BB on my 01 this past Saturday. But, I only had to raise the front 2" because the previous owner had put a helper leaf on each side at the rear of the pack along with a nice Reese receiver hitch. The helper leafs had the rear lifted higher than the front which I hated but it was exactly 2". A stock XJ is supposed to measure 17" from the center of hub to the bottom of rear fender and mine measures 19". I ordered my 2" coil spacers from Rocky Road along with some of there BPE's that I put on the back. I did replace the front shocks since it still had the factory's on it. I used the Monroe Sensa-trac for a ZJ with Up Country suspension which are longer that stock. I also swapped out the rears as well with the same Monroe shocks but for a stock ZJ. They are also longer than stock XJ. I've got a full 2" front and back. Now if only 4wheelonline will get off their arse and get my Pro Comp A/T's to me, I can put them on my new set of AR Baja's that I've had for over a week now waiting on my tires. By the way, their customer service stinks!!!!!!!

I just did a Rough Country 2" budget lift on my '93 this past week.....spacer in front and shackle in the rear. It looks great and was an easy install.

Like this- Rough Country

Last edited:
well, i think i will go with the shackle and spacer route for a 1-2 inch lift and i am putting monroe load leveler shocks in back, and monroe sensa-tracs in front. but i have heard theload levelers raise the back end up about 1/2 inch. so i will probably put those in first and see where i am in the back so i can put the right spacers up front. :clap:

suprz said:
well, i think i will go with the shackle and spacer route for a 1-2 inch lift and i am putting monroe load leveler shocks in back, and monroe sensa-tracs in front. but i have heard theload levelers raise the back end up about 1/2 inch. so i will probably put those in first and see where i am in the back so i can put the right spacers up front. :clap:

The RC kit I linked to above has an adjustable rear shackle....for 1 1/2" or 2" of lift....if your rear shocks raise it 1/2" this kit would be ideal as you could just use the 1 1/2" adjustment on the shackle...or go the full 2" if your shocks don't raise it much....just my .02

Back